Oven Bags/Cooking Time

Not Available

Guest
Hi Group.

I have a quick question:

I'm going to bake chicken using a cooking bag. Should I decrease or increase the cooking time
specified by the recipe? The recipe does not call for a cooking bag, however, I want the chicken to
come out a little jucier than normal.

Thanks!

CHUSMA

"Not Available" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Hi Group.
:
: I have a quick question:
:
: I'm going to bake chicken using a cooking bag. Should I
decrease or
: increase the cooking time specified by the recipe? The recipe
does not
: call for a cooking bag, however, I want the chicken to come out
a little
: jucier than normal.
:
: Thanks!
:
: CHUSMA
=======

Decrease. Your chicken will cook much faster.

I've used cooking bags for turkeys for years... a twelve # turkey is done in a little less than 3
hours. Therefore, my guess on a 3 # chicken will be about 45 minutes or so...?

Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

[email protected] (Not Available) wrote:

>Hi Group.
>
>I have a quick question:
>
>I'm going to bake chicken using a cooking bag. Should I decrease or increase the cooking time
>specified by the recipe? The recipe does not call for a cooking bag, however, I want the chicken to
>come out a little jucier than normal.
>
>Thanks!
>
>CHUSMA

I frequently use bags to roast chicken in the sandwich oven. i don't change the timen but I like
chicken weel-done and it is usually falling apart at the full time. And moist.

dennis

May I suggest that for a juicier chicken, you can roast at a higher temp and shorter time, without a
bag. Or, best of all, brine the chicken for several hours or overnight, drain, rinse, dry, and then
roast - juiciest chicken you will ever have.

----
Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Not Available" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:13613-40367033-20@storefull-
3311.bay.webtv.net...
> Hi Group.
>
> I have a quick question:
>
> I'm going to bake chicken using a cooking bag. Should I decrease or increase the cooking time
> specified by the recipe? The recipe does not call for a cooking bag, however, I want the chicken
> to come out a little jucier than normal.
>
> Thanks!
>
> CHUSMA

Not Available <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Group.

> I have a quick question:

> I'm going to bake chicken using a cooking bag. Should I decrease or increase the cooking time
> specified by the recipe? The recipe does not call for a cooking bag, however, I want the chicken
> to come out a little jucier than normal.

Follow the cooking times that come on the instruction guide with your cooking bags or simply don't
use a cooking bag for this particular recipe.

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Not Available <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi Group.
>
>> I have a quick question:
>
>> I'm going to bake chicken using a cooking bag. Should I decrease or increase the cooking time
>> specified by the recipe? The recipe does not call for a cooking bag, however, I want the chicken
>> to come out a little jucier than normal.
>
> Follow the cooking times that come on the instruction guide with your cooking bags or simply don't
> use a cooking bag for this particular recipe.

Neither or those is the best solution...

I use cooking bags frequently for the same reason - to insure a moist product. I _always_ follow the
original recipe for time and temperature, but occasionally reduce the total quantity of liquid if
the recipe calls for large amounts which are expected to reduce in the cooking process - they won't
reduce much in the cooking bag.

One caveat... Every cooking bag I've ever seen or used warns against temperatures above 375°F and
usually recommends 325-350°F. If your recipe specifies a higher temperature, reduce it.

Wayne