Over protective?

GeeDubb

Guest
I'm one of those parent that insists on safety, specifically the requirement
that my kids don't ride their bike w/o helmets. Recently both my kids
received a Razor scooter and I thought I was being paranoid requiring them
to where helmets when no other kid in and around our neighborhood wear one.

I live on the side of a hill here in Phoenix which sucks for kids riding
their bike or scootering because of the uphill. The downhill is fun and
they've been getting better and faster at controlling the scooters and
bikes. Well, luck ran out and my ten year old crashed on her scooter Friday
afternoon. I though "how bad could it be?" but still moved rather quickly
to her aid. She was whimpering but nothing bleeding badly, no fingers
dangling so I thought no big deal.......until this morning as I'm checking
out her helmet and discover the back of it is badly scraped up and it's
broken. Evidently she hit a rock which in effect stopped the scooter and
she flipped around landing on the back of her head as the only other marks
were light scrapes on her butt.

So I guess I'm not over protective as I would probably be in the hospital
right now sitting by her side.

Wear you helmet!

Gary (oh, and I rode 24 trail miles today in 70°F clear, sunny weather)

GeeDubb wrote:
> I'm one of those parent that insists on safety, specifically the requirement
> that my kids don't ride their bike w/o helmets. Recently both my kids
> received a Razor scooter and I thought I was being paranoid requiring them
> to where helmets when no other kid in and around our neighborhood wear one.

Those things are the most dangerous f'ing things around. I see kids
getting flipped on them all the time. Any crack in the sidewalk sends
you OTB. I tried once and that was the end. My kids look like the
Michelin Man when they ride their Razors. I put every pad I can find on
them.

> So I guess I'm not over protective as I would probably be in the hospital
> right now sitting by her side.

Glad she's OK.

> Wear you helmet!

Don't let PF see this. There are some people who would disagree.

> Gary (oh, and I rode 24 trail miles today in 70°F clear, sunny weather)

You suck! 18 miles in cloudy 29F!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm one of those parent that insists on safety, specifically the
> requirement that my kids don't ride their bike w/o helmets. Recently both
> my kids received a Razor scooter and I thought I was being paranoid
> requiring them to where helmets when no other kid in and around our
> neighborhood wear one.
>
> I live on the side of a hill here in Phoenix which sucks for kids riding
> their bike or scootering because of the uphill. The downhill is fun and
> they've been getting better and faster at controlling the scooters and
> bikes. Well, luck ran out and my ten year old crashed on her scooter
> Friday afternoon. I though "how bad could it be?" but still moved rather
> quickly to her aid. She was whimpering but nothing bleeding badly, no
> fingers dangling so I thought no big deal.......until this morning as I'm
> checking out her helmet and discover the back of it is badly scraped up
> and it's broken. Evidently she hit a rock which in effect stopped the
> scooter and she flipped around landing on the back of her head as the only
> other marks were light scrapes on her butt.
>
> So I guess I'm not over protective as I would probably be in the hospital
> right now sitting by her side.
>
> Wear you helmet!
>
> Gary (oh, and I rode 24 trail miles today in 70°F clear, sunny weather)

That's not over protective, it's smart. My kids are all I have man. They are
lucky if they leave the house without gloves or a hat, never mind a helmet.

"GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm one of those parent that insists on safety, specifically the
> requirement that my kids don't ride their bike w/o helmets. Recently both
> my kids received a Razor scooter and I thought I was being paranoid
> requiring them to where helmets when no other kid in and around our
> neighborhood wear one.
>
> I live on the side of a hill here in Phoenix which sucks for kids riding
> their bike or scootering because of the uphill. The downhill is fun and
> they've been getting better and faster at controlling the scooters and
> bikes. Well, luck ran out and my ten year old crashed on her scooter
> Friday afternoon. I though "how bad could it be?" but still moved rather
> quickly to her aid. She was whimpering but nothing bleeding badly, no
> fingers dangling so I thought no big deal.......until this morning as I'm
> checking out her helmet and discover the back of it is badly scraped up
> and it's broken. Evidently she hit a rock which in effect stopped the
> scooter and she flipped around landing on the back of her head as the only
> other marks were light scrapes on her butt.
>
> So I guess I'm not over protective as I would probably be in the hospital
> right now sitting by her side.
>
> Wear you helmet!
>
> Gary (oh, and I rode 24 trail miles today in 70°F clear, sunny weather)

That's not over protective, it's smart. My kids are all I have man. They are
lucky if they leave the house without gloves or a hat, never mind a helmet.

The razor scooters are no joke as far as how dangerous they can be.
Here on Long Island, I am in a neighborhood that has four streets that
all have pretty steep hills. The traffic is moderately heavy because a
group of kids now have their licenses so more cars are around.

About 4 years ago the razors started appearing in the neighborhood and
in recent years to my astonishment I heard of more kids getting hurt on
those things then on regular bicycles. Needless to say, the older kids
(15 and up) never will wear helmets, but all the little squirts zipping
around on their razors and bikes all have helmets on.

Now when I was raising hell in the same neighborhood, ghost riding,
jumping on and over cars, etc. I remember reluctantly just how many
times I put my life at stake with crazy ****. My kids (when I
eventually have them) will absolutely be wearing helmets. I can
realistically see a time when, especially my sons, will no longer wear
them but I will still harp them any chance I get. WEAR A HELMET!!!

GeeDubb wrote:

> I'm one of those parent that insists on safety, specifically the requirement
> that my kids don't ride their bike w/o helmets. Recently both my kids
> received a Razor scooter and I thought I was being paranoid requiring them
> to where helmets when no other kid in and around our neighborhood wear one.
>
> I live on the side of a hill here in Phoenix which sucks for kids riding
> their bike or scootering because of the uphill. The downhill is fun and
> they've been getting better and faster at controlling the scooters and
> bikes. Well, luck ran out and my ten year old crashed on her scooter Friday
> afternoon. I though "how bad could it be?" but still moved rather quickly
> to her aid. She was whimpering but nothing bleeding badly, no fingers
> dangling so I thought no big deal.......until this morning as I'm checking
> out her helmet and discover the back of it is badly scraped up and it's
> broken. Evidently she hit a rock which in effect stopped the scooter and
> she flipped around landing on the back of her head as the only other marks
> were light scrapes on her butt.
>
> So I guess I'm not over protective as I would probably be in the hospital
> right now sitting by her side.
>
> Wear you helmet!
>
> Gary (oh, and I rode 24 trail miles today in 70°F clear, sunny weather)

--
David R Marlborough
DJ Mackelicious

GeeDubb wrote:
> I'm one of those parent that insists on safety, specifically the
> requirement that my kids don't ride their bike w/o helmets. Recently
> both my kids received a Razor scooter and I thought I was being
> paranoid requiring them to where helmets when no other kid in and
> around our neighborhood wear one.
>
> I live on the side of a hill here in Phoenix which sucks for kids
> riding their bike or scootering because of the uphill. The downhill
> is fun and they've been getting better and faster at controlling the
> scooters and bikes.

You are more permissive than I am/was. We live on a culdesac that's flat,
crosses a nice steep street that all manner of mostly helmetless kids ride
all manner of "things" on... skateboard, scooters, bikes. One problem is
that it's the main street through the neighborhood, and at the bottom of the
hill all the cars come around the corner ( unmarked intersection) cutting
the corner and certainly NOT expecting kids to be flying down it at xx mph.
So, being the evil parent I am, they have been forbidden to go down that
hill except when commuting to someone's house. Being super evil, they don't
get to sled on it either.

Penny

small change wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
>> I'm one of those parent that insists on safety, specifically the
>> requirement that my kids don't ride their bike w/o helmets. Recently
>> both my kids received a Razor scooter and I thought I was being
>> paranoid requiring them to where helmets when no other kid in and
>> around our neighborhood wear one.
>>
>> I live on the side of a hill here in Phoenix which sucks for kids
>> riding their bike or scootering because of the uphill. The downhill
>> is fun and they've been getting better and faster at controlling the
>> scooters and bikes.

> You are more permissive than I am/was. We live on a culdesac that's
> flat, crosses a nice steep street that all manner of mostly
> helmetless kids ride all manner of "things" on... skateboard,
> scooters, bikes. One problem is that it's the main street through the
> neighborhood, and at the bottom of the hill all the cars come around
> the corner ( unmarked intersection) cutting the corner and certainly
> NOT expecting kids to be flying down it at xx mph. So, being the evil
> parent I am, they have been forbidden to go down that hill except
> when commuting to someone's house. Being super evil, they don't get
> to sled on it either.
>
> Penny

We live on a dead end street so the traffic is very light. Still there's
the potential for cars backing out as the kids come down. I guess I allow
this because the daughter that crashed is so un-athletic that I was excited
that she was at least out getting exercise.

When she crashed she was yelling at the scooter telling it that she never
wanted to see it again.......next day she was out scootering again, be it a
lot slower.

I still can't get her to ride the bike much. I even got a geared bike so it
would be easier for her to go up but she complains it's too hard. But I'd
hate to have her crash coming down the hill on her bike. Road rash is so
ugly.

Gary

They only get one head!!!!

> [...]

> they've been getting better and faster at controlling the scooters and
> bikes. Well, luck ran out and my ten year old crashed on her scooter
> Friday afternoon. I though "how bad could it be?" but still moved rather
> quickly to her aid. She was whimpering but nothing bleeding badly, no
> fingers dangling so I thought no big deal.......until this morning as I'm
> checking out her helmet and discover the back of it is badly scraped up
> and it's broken. Evidently she hit a rock which in effect stopped the
> scooter and she flipped around landing on the back of her head as the only
> other marks were light scrapes on her butt.
>
> So I guess I'm not over protective as I would probably be in the hospital
> right now sitting by her side.
>
> Wear you helmet!
>
> Gary (oh, and I rode 24 trail miles today in 70°F clear, sunny weather)

While I'm not a parent, I feel like I have all the instincts. Early this
past Fall I was riding past a city park and saw what looked like a 30-ish
woman getting really riled at her child. I have a thing about child abuse,
so I dismounted and "fiddled" with my bike for a bit, waiting to see if this
was going to turn physical.

The lady was obviously trying to control her temper, and through snippets of
eavesdropping I figured out that she had caught her pre-teen son trying
"tricks" on his bike in the park without his helmet. The helmet and his
backpack were stashed under a big tree (with several others), so he was
leaving home with it on and taking it off once he got out of sight. It had
all the signs of "not cool with the buddies" syndrome.

Luckily, where I grew up wearing a helmet meant that you were doing
something death-defying, so everybody wanted to have one.

Last I saw, the situation was being resolved without anything nasty
physically. Looked like he was being grounded for a week. Cudos.

Gary

Gwood wrote:
> While I'm not a parent, I feel like I have all the instincts. Early this
> past Fall I was riding past a city park and saw what looked like a 30-ish
> woman getting really riled at her child. I have a thing about child abuse,
> so I dismounted and "fiddled" with my bike for a bit, waiting to see if this
> was going to turn physical.
>
> The lady was obviously trying to control her temper, and through snippets of
> eavesdropping I figured out that she had caught her pre-teen son trying
> "tricks" on his bike in the park without his helmet. The helmet and his
> backpack were stashed under a big tree (with several others), so he was
> leaving home with it on and taking it off once he got out of sight. It had
> all the signs of "not cool with the buddies" syndrome.
>
> Luckily, where I grew up wearing a helmet meant that you were doing
> something death-defying, so everybody wanted to have one.
>
> Last I saw, the situation was being resolved without anything nasty
> physically. Looked like he was being grounded for a week. Cudos.
>
> Gary

Sorta stupid to beat your kid into a coma for not wearing a helmet. ;-)

Shawn

Would sure enforce the idea of wearing one, tho ;-)

news:[email protected]...

Gwood wrote:
> While I'm not a parent, I feel like I have all the instincts. Early this
> past Fall I was riding past a city park and saw what looked like a 30-ish
> woman getting really riled at her child. I have a thing about child abuse,
> so I dismounted and "fiddled" with my bike for a bit, waiting to see if this
> was going to turn physical.
>
> The lady was obviously trying to control her temper, and through snippets of
> eavesdropping I figured out that she had caught her pre-teen son trying
> "tricks" on his bike in the park without his helmet. The helmet and his
> backpack were stashed under a big tree (with several others), so he was
> leaving home with it on and taking it off once he got out of sight. It had
> all the signs of "not cool with the buddies" syndrome.
>
> Luckily, where I grew up wearing a helmet meant that you were doing
> something death-defying, so everybody wanted to have one.
>
> Last I saw, the situation was being resolved without anything nasty
> physically. Looked like he was being grounded for a week. Cudos.
>
> Gary

What scares me as a parent is that's just the kind of sneaky **** I used
to pull on my parents. Of course nobody was wearing helmets except a few
racers wearing those leather deals at the time, but the "I know better
and will just do it my way when they aren't looking." attitude is a hard
one to overcome.
I know because when ever I got caught being sneaky and got punished, I
never had the "OK, I'll never do that again." thought, I was always
thinking about how I could better conceal my deceit next time to not get
caught.
I hope my boy doesn't end up like that, but at 22 Months, he's already
faking taking stuff out of his mouth when we say "Take that out of your
mouth. It's dangerous/yucky/whatever.".

Must be some bad genes in my family...

Matt

PS - haven't seen the ground in weeks - been skiing the feet (seven in
CB, 5 at Monarch) of snow we got a couple of weeks ago:
http://tinyurl.com/542lp

I really don't want to know what adventures my boys are concealing from me!!

> Matt
>
> PS - haven't seen the ground in weeks - been skiing the feet (seven in
> CB, 5 at Monarch) of snow we got a couple of weeks ago:
> http://tinyurl.com/542lp

Matt, Gloat a little. Our ski area just closed down. We hardly had any snow
to begin with, and then the chinook came through. Too muddy to bike, yet but
that could change in a few days.

penny