Over the border...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Martin, May 11, 2006.

  1. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Just a short note to wish those riding Thorne-Edinburgh the very best
    for Friday/Saturday

    May the wind be always at your back
    May the sun shine warm along the way
    May the hills be always down (fat chance but hey..)
    May the cafes be good and nourishing
    And may the puncture fairy take a liking to Burberry and Novas and give
    you peace

    ...d

    Tags:

  2. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > Just a short note to wish those riding Thorne-Edinburgh the very best
    > for Friday/Saturday

    Absolutely. Have a great ride guys.

    > May the hills be always down (fat chance but hey..)

    Only if there's been some serious erosion since last year. :) Still,
    there's as much down as up.

    --
    Dave...

  3. David Martin wrote:
    > Just a short note to wish those riding Thorne-Edinburgh the very best
    > for Friday/Saturday
    >
    > May the wind be always at your back
    > May the sun shine warm along the way
    > May the hills be always down (fat chance but hey..)
    > May the cafes be good and nourishing
    > And may the puncture fairy take a liking to Burberry and Novas and
    > give you peace

    Cheers. I've just finished my preparations -- last minute as usual.

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:

    > Cheers. I've just finished my preparations -- last minute as usual.

    wish I could say the same;

    It is all flat isn't it ?
    I've just prepared my fixer...

  5. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > It is all flat isn't it ?
    > I've just prepared my fixer...

    Like the proverbial pancake. 78" you want.

    --
    Dave...

  6. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > It is all flat isn't it ?
    > I've just prepared my fixer...

    Like the proverbial pancake. 78" you want.

    --
    Dave...

  7. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > It is all flat isn't it ?
    > > I've just prepared my fixer...

    > Like the proverbial pancake. 78" you want.

    pfftt...

    All flat apart from the scenery. But you'll be doing that in the dark
    so it doesn't count ;-)

    ...d

  8. davek

    davek Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > Just a short note to wish those riding Thorne-Edinburgh the very best
    > for Friday/Saturday

    Seconded. Wish I could be joining them.

    I bumped into Simon on the train this morning, me on my way to work,
    him looking surprisingly calm despite the ordeal ahead, me still
    bleary-eyed and recovering from last weekend...

    d.

  9. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > dkahn400 wrote:
    >> MartinM wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is all flat isn't it ?
    >>> I've just prepared my fixer...

    >> Like the proverbial pancake. 78" you want.

    > pfftt...
    >
    > All flat apart from the scenery. But you'll be doing that in the dark
    > so it doesn't count ;-)
    >
    > ..d

    No no no, we are starting at 21:00 so will be travelling over the most
    scenic parts on Saturday during daylight !

    Thanks for the good wishes. Blonde & I are pedalling back in two stages
    on Sunday & Monday

  10. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Quick RR; seemed like a good idea at the time...

    Longer RR.
    The idea for this ride came about from my desire to do London-Edinburgh
    without having to ride back, and MSeries' wish to see the best bits of
    the Borders in daylight having ridden them in the dark on LEL..

    Met Simon Bennett at Kings X for the Mallard (aka IC225) up to
    Doncaster. On arrival the traffic was fairly chocca so we went to a
    petrol station to find a quieter route to Thorne; where a driver gave
    us very good directions.
    Waited at Thorne North station for MSeries and Blonde for over an hour
    despite being assured by 'pone he was 10km away. A couple of ambulances
    sped by and we began to worry. Eventually MSeries rang to say Blonde
    had crashed; when we asked how she was he said he didn't know; very
    worrying. But eventually they both arrived, Blonde having slipped and
    fell on her elbow which was just like Simon's last year after his HGV
    induced prang.
    We found a nice cafe for some food then stocked up with water food and
    till receipts from Co-op before setting off. The first 100km was , how
    shall I put it? almost but not quite entirely flat. All too soon it was
    up the Howarden hills past the obelisks, my jumbo Caradice kitchen sink
    making itself known by this time. The Hovingham control proved easy, we
    simply asked the very obliging hotel owner for a stamp. Can't remember
    too much about the next few hours apart from falling asleep 3 times on
    a wall; the side of the road while Simon examined a bust spoke and
    finally an auto-massage chair at Scotch Corner services. Having met up
    with MSeries' LEL ride mate Nigel at the last place we all set of just
    as it was beginning to get light. And rain.
    I sensibly put my overshoes on just in time; as the long climb up to
    High Force was very damp indeed. Blonde fell off again. The general
    mood was low. Simon and Nigel went ahead up to Yad Moss. It stopped
    raining at some point in the ascent, but the rain was followed by a
    very cold NE front. This had the effect of reducing my wet gloves to an
    effective cool box on the very long descent to Alston. On arrival I
    spotted Simon and Nigel's bikes outside a newsagents and about 0750,
    they both looked as bad as I felt. The mood was even lower; especially
    as we found out that the cafe did not open until 1000. The newsagents
    did however sell fleece gloves which is probably the best 2.99 I've
    ever spent; even though I had to get Simon to pay as there was no way
    they were coming off again if they fitted. We decided to go down to the
    YH to see if they did breakfast;
    they didn't, but we did blag a cup of tea, a control stamp and a mooch
    in their drying room. Soon Mseries' rang to say they were in the cafe,
    having apparently hammered at the door to get them to open; We avoided
    the worst of the cobbles by using a less salubrious council estate to
    knife and fork without using fingers. Another two pairs of those nice
    fleece gloves please.
    After that it got much better. The descent to Brampton was flattish,
    dry and comparatively warm. Then across to Longtown for more Co-oppery
    and receipts.
    The A7 to Langholm was pretty horrible; bad surface and busy. And
    lumpy. MSeries stopped at the Welcome to Scotland sign; I asked if this
    was for a photo but he said he CNBA and his stop was for a more
    pressing purpose ;-)
    We stopped in Langholm for quite while, trying to build up the
    enthusiasm for the next bit, the B709 through Innerleithen. This was
    without a doubt the hardest bit by far; but the scenery and weather was
    quite simply superb. Virtually the whole section consisted of following
    steadily climbing river valleys until they eventually disappeared up
    into the side of the mountain much like the road, to then find another
    valley back down. We waited at the Buddhist shrine where sleep almost
    took over again. Eventually MSeries and Blonde arrived and announced
    that they were not going to complete; and as they planned to ride back
    again today and tomorrow I can't say I blamed them. I just hope they
    found somewhere to stay, there wasn't a great deal available.
    Eventually the last grind up and a marvellous 9k down to Innerliethen
    where the downhill centre is (which I assume is where the ski lifts
    MSeries referred to are). And then another 23k, following the very
    distant specks which were the yellow and red tops of Nigel and Simon,
    up the valley past all the golf links and up, and up. I had this idea
    that it was all downhill from here; I was wrong. One last punishing
    climb and there we were; overlooking the Forth, Arthur's seat, the
    castle. Glorious.
    One last cash machine slip in Dalkeith 12km later and that was it; we
    had taken 25.45 for the 410km. Now just the 12km into the city centre
    and find the YH.
    And find the YH......
    We had a vague idea it was at the West end of Princes St but it took
    several phone calls and asking pub-outside-smokers and bouncers before
    we arrived. We didn't celebrate; other than with a shower and then
    straight under the duvet (which my sheet sleeping bag did not protect
    from me). Rudely awoken at 0630 (having vaguely remembered hearing
    presumably Hearts revellers until about an hour before) Simon and I
    said our goodbyes to Nigel and sped off towards the airport. But not
    speedy enough for me; I was unable to pack my frame to EasyJet's
    demanding standards in time so missed the Gatwick flight and had to
    wait 4 hrs (and an extra £35) for a Stansted one.
    Bit of a bummer finish to a great ride. Without a doubt the hardest
    ever 400; in the words of Sir Steve Redgrave "if you ever seem me with
    an LEL entry form you have my permission to shoot me"
    Thanks again MSeries for all the planning and hope you back OK ;-)

    ..

  11. MartinM wrote:

    <snip>

    Says it all really; scenic and rather chilly. Great company. Really
    beautiful going through Scotland (first time I've been there, despite being
    half-scottish). Will add my own impressions later.

    Sorry you missed your flight. I didn't get a chance to say cheerio as I they
    were already making the last call for mine (BA provide a bike-bag and even
    packed it for me -- perhaps they felt sorry for the bedraggled cyclist?).
    Only just made it with 5 minutes to spare!

  12. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Says it all really; scenic and rather chilly. Great company. Really
    > beautiful going through Scotland (first time I've been there, despite being
    > half-scottish). Will add my own impressions later.
    >
    > Sorry you missed your flight. I didn't get a chance to say cheerio as I they
    > were already making the last call for mine (BA provide a bike-bag and even
    > packed it for me -- perhaps they felt sorry for the bedraggled cyclist?).
    > Only just made it with 5 minutes to spare!

    I should have stopped B&Q for some polythene and parcel tape but never
    got the chance. As it happened I had to pinch various bits of
    cardboard, polythene and twine from the various construction projects
    around the car park before they let me on. BA next time I think....
    (next time? I think not)

  13. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Quick RR; seemed like a good idea at the time...

    I am glad my lethargy earlier on this year had it's uses ;-). Sounds
    like quite an epic. For once we had stolen the sun. While you were
    freezing,, I even saw a slow worm in Glen Esk.

    Scotland is a fantastic place to cycle. I am tentatively planning a
    long DIY on the silly side of insane. Not that I'll ever manage it at
    Audax pace (it being somewhat scenic) but it is fantastically
    beautiful, even in the rain.

    ...d

  14. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > Quick RR; seemed like a good idea at the time...

    Great ride report. It made me feel chilly just to read it. Well done
    for getting through it (I lied when I said it was flat). These things
    are anyway much harder as perms than calendar events IMX.
    Commiserations to Blonde and Mseries. I hope Blonde is not too badly
    battered from those falls, and wish her a speedy recovery.

    --
    Dave...

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Quick RR; seemed like a good idea at the time...
    >
    > Longer RR.

    [snip]

    Top report, Martin, and I trust MSeries & Blonde will be in form for the
    Spurn Head next w/e.

    P.S. My mate Pete says he's doing the 3 Coasts, so the Northern Types
    will have /two/ Dark Siders to laugh at...

    You can't have ham!

  16. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Quick RR; seemed like a good idea at the time...
    >
    > Longer RR.

    [snipped]

    Sounds like an epic ride. Chapeaux to all of you!

    Mike

  17. davek

    davek Guest

    Cracking report, Martin. Well done to you and Simon for making it.
    Commiserations to Mseries and Blonde for heroic failure. Sounds like it
    was a tough old slog. I doubt I would have finished in those
    conditions.

    I'll give you a week to recover before asking if you're still up for a
    600 this year... ;-)

    d.

  18. MartinM wrote:
    > Quick RR; seemed like a good idea at the time...

    You are this: mad.

    Still, a courageous job well done.
    --
    Ambrose

  19. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > Quick RR; seemed like a good idea at the time...
    > >

    > You are this: mad.

    No. Mad would be doing that to get to England.

    ...d

  20. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    davek wrote:
    > Cracking report, Martin. Well done to you and Simon for making it.
    > Commiserations to Mseries and Blonde for heroic failure.

    May put it in Arrivee if MSeries has any good photos.

    not sure that they didn't make it, but their bikes weren't at the YH
    yesterday a.m. They will probably have ended up riding over 600 by the
    end of today ;-O

    Sounds like it
    > was a tough old slog. I doubt I would have finished in those
    > conditions.

    well once we were past Alston there wasn't much alternative other than
    turn back or go and look for a train station (spending a whole day in
    Carlisle once convinced me that trains are not quite up to Connex
    frequency in those parts)

    > I'll give you a week to recover before asking if you're still up for a
    > 600 this year... ;-)

    ask me now; Yes. My only 600 was a doddle compared to this. And STN
    should be flat as a flat thing. Go on join us, you know you want to ;-)

    ps I'm not doing Stonehenge; my knees (and Mrs M) need a weekend off...