Over the hill gang

rockytopthunder

Jul 14, 2003
Trying to start a thread with older cyclist, who may want to exchange idea's and other stuff stuff. Who knows, maybe a world wide club for the over the hill types.:cool:

Good idea. We had a very active "older" member here some time ago (Old Timer form South Africa - 72 years old), but unfortunately he doesn't seem to visit much these days. Maybe this thread will inspire him to start posting again.

Reminds me of an old Redd Foxx line, describing Aunt Esther:

"Woman, you ain't over the hill, you down in the valley!"

Originally posted by Dram
What age do you consider "Over the hill"?

I think a good measure of a "mature" I won't say "old" cyclist :) is when you are on a blazing descent and you think about how ridiculous you will feel trying to explain what happened to you if you crash, as opposed to wearing the injury like a badge of honor :)

Feanor

Originally posted by rockytopthunder
Trying to start a thread with older cyclist, who may want to exchange idea's and other stuff stuff. Who knows, maybe a world wide club for the over the hill types.:cool:

Hi, As you say who knows where an "over the hill gang" might lead.
I'm a late comer to cycling. Started 4 years ago at 51, then joined a Veterans' Cycling Club (Road Racing) and now I wish I'd got into the sport when I was 20. What a great passtime and what great people you meet!
We are hosting the Masters games here in Canberra in November so we should get to meet many who do that circuit. I believe some even follow the series as it moves internationally.
We have some incredibly fit people in the Vets Club, including a World Champion Track cyclist (73yo) who rides comp with us. I'm regularly getting blown into the weeds by riders 10-15 years my senior. Our road races are usually 40-50 km over some fairly hilly terrain. We then mix this with those blasted Individual Time Trials that everyone except the A graders seem to hate. The odd Criterium helps us learn to stay upright.
Keep pedalling
Tezza

Should try the 'Etape de Tour' very popular in the 40 -50 year range, maybe see you there next year. And yes I thought I was a pretty fit 47 year old cycling on/off road a hundred miles a week when low and behold pedalling up a hill in Germany at what I thought was a respectable 10 mph (mtb) when a guy with 10 years on me sails by (also on an mtb) and could I catch him like ....

Oh well shall have to add an extra hundred

Sean

"THere will always be somebody older AND faster than you are."

Which hill? Old enough not to have to prove anything?

I think we should think of getting together for a ride next year. Somewhere's in the US. If This sounds like something you would like to do, let me know. I have a web site, but I don't use it for anything. So this may be a good reason to use it. So what you guy's and ladies think???

I think we should think of getting together for a ride next year. Somewhere's in the US. If This sounds like something you would like to do, let me know. I have a web site, but I don't use it for anything. So this may be a good reason to use it. So what you guy's and ladies think???

I'm 54 from a southern suburb of Chicago and wouldn't mind meeting for rides.

Originally posted by FrankH.3
I'm 54 from a southern suburb of Chicago and wouldn't mind meeting for rides.
It may be an yearly thang. Most of the guys that have replied are from all over the US.

Originally posted by Insight Driver
I'm 50 and only started back into bicycling less than a year ago.
Got to start somewheres:p The hardest part is getting in the saddle. Keep at it. Hopefully we all can ride a 100 miler together next year, that is if there are enough interested.

At 62 I think I qualify. I bought a WallMart bike this spring on a whim and find I very much enjoy cycling. I'm trying to do 30 km per day and some days I get up to 50 km before various parts start to hurt too much. I'm not much interested in speed or distance and I usually stop to read the historic markers just to watch the ducks. I just bought a digital camera and have a great time recording interesting sights. Much of the history of Canada is written on the face of this area (Kingston, Ontario).

Originally posted by chimo
At 62 I think I qualify. I bought a WallMart bike this spring on a whim and find I very much enjoy cycling. I'm trying to do 30 km per day and some days I get up to 50 km before various parts start to hurt too much. I'm not much interested in speed or distance and I usually stop to read the historic markers just to watch the ducks. I just bought a digital camera and have a great time recording interesting sights. Much of the history of Canada is written on the face of this area (Kingston, Ontario).
Hey Chimo, thats what cycling is all about. Enjoying Your surrounding. :p

Over 54 here...any Norfolk, VA mtb'rs wanna' take a shot at this "old man"?

Make my Century!!!