Over the hill gang

Originally posted by Alnamvet
Over 54 here...any Norfolk, VA mtb'rs wanna' take a shot at this "old man"?

Make my Century!!!
:cool: I love it when those young cyclist blow by you doing all out and about a mile up the road you past them because there blowing chunks on the side of the trail. Age is learning to pace yourself:p

Originally posted by rockytopthunder
Trying to start a thread with older cyclist, who may want to exchange idea's and other stuff stuff. Who knows, maybe a world wide club for the over the hill types.:cool:

Great idea and has prompted my first post to Cyclingforums. I was provisionly elected to the OFC after doing a x-country sag supported ride with some OFs. I was only 47 at the time and you needed to be 60 to be a full fleged member. That was long enough ago that I am now a qualified OF and trying to get back into touring shape once again. Would really enjoy exchanging ideas and meeting up once a year to do some rides.

Originally posted by edlfrey
Great idea and has prompted my first post to Cyclingforums. I was provisionly elected to the OFC after doing a x-country sag supported ride with some OFs. I was only 47 at the time and you needed to be 60 to be a full fleged member. That was long enough ago that I am now a qualified OF and trying to get back into touring shape once again. Would really enjoy exchanging ideas and meeting up once a year to do some rides.
:cool: Cool!!

This seems to be mostly men, but thought I'd put in a over 40 woman's responce. Been riding off and on for many years, but only seriously (on a good road bike) the last three years. - and this is the first year I've really put in many miles (1600+ since May). My goal at the beginning of this year (after a winter of no training) was just to not be dropped by the group (rides 19-22 mph for 35-60 miles). Have reached that goal. My goal for next year is to be able to pull for a respectible distance and not just stay in the draft. :) (I have definitely mastered the art of sucking wheel.)

I'm 49. Started riding about 4 years ago after my knees started bothering me while running. Try to cycle every day, about 150 a week. Tried a USCF Masters +45 crit a couple of weeks ago to see how I'd fare and hung on for 3 of 15 laps. There are some fast, strong +45 men out there! But now I know what I gotta do.

Originally posted by lesliegee
This seems to be mostly men, but thought I'd put in a over 40 woman's responce. Been riding off and on for many years, but only seriously (on a good road bike) the last three years. - and this is the first year I've really put in many miles (1600+ since May). My goal at the beginning of this year (after a winter of no training) was just to not be dropped by the group (rides 19-22 mph for 35-60 miles). Have reached that goal. My goal for next year is to be able to pull for a respectible distance and not just stay in the draft. :) (I have definitely mastered the art of sucking wheel.)
:cool: You go! Passed me many miles ago.

Originally posted by CycleSteve
I'm 49. Started riding about 4 years ago after my knees started bothering me while running. Try to cycle every day, about 150 a week. Tried a USCF Masters +45 crit a couple of weeks ago to see how I'd fare and hung on for 3 of 15 laps. There are some fast, strong +45 men out there! But now I know what I gotta do.
:cool: Hey, just because your over 40. don't mean your dead. I beleave that the older you get, the smarter you get and to be a good cyclist you need smarts. Muscle ain't all of it.

i'm 43 and it's certainly comforting to know that i'm not an exception. most of the "whippersnappers" on 2 wheels i've met are either into speed or deadset on breaking their necks down some trail. i'm originally from san diego currently in manila and about to move to malaysia for work. i started biking 30 years ago and have never stopped ever since. i'm no super-pro or a fitness junkie, i just love the feeling of riding along at a casual pace in getting from here to there. i'm a full-time bike commuter. and now that i'm over this hill, i just hope i can make it top the next.

Just turned 42 myself. I cycle for fitness and fun, but might try some racing next year and certainly start some long distance touring. I put on an average of 33 miles 5 days a week.

I have been cycling all my life recreational long distance, and after a 3 year work induced layoff, I got going again. Had to build the legs back up, and now I am working on the cadence (OUCH!)

I am in New Hampshire.

John

42 been back into cycling after a 12 Years hiatus for 2 years now on a good (for me anyway :) Trek 2200) road bike.

Count me in. I am 62 and used to be a world class 50+ runner until I permanently injured my knee in an accident. I now have a Fuji Aloha Triathlon/TT bike and a Mongoose Mtn bike and considering training for Time Trials and Duathlons. Biking does not bother the knee and can do some limited running. Live in Maryland. Also looking for possible training partners.

John

46, nice to see I'm one of the pups in this crowd. This has been my third year cycling, after almost 20 years off, after being a cycling fanatic in college. 1.5 years on the road, the other time was on a MTB, before I realized that I enjoyed the rides to and from the singletrack a lot more than the singletrack.

What I like the most about cycling, aside from the peace of mind one gets on a long road ride, is the improvement I'm seeing. When I started road biking after getting tired of the MTB (getting tired of being beat up, actually), I could average maybe 15mph last summer. This year, it's up to 20-22 for 50 miles. What will next year be like? And I'm no longer afraid of hills, I relish a long one. Here in KY, we got plenty of them.

At an age when the average person is sliding downhill, I'm getting better. Feeling better. Looking better. Riding faster, longer. Like Lance said, if you're riding, you're alive.

Plus the peace of mind one gets on the road. Turn off the phone, check the worries at the roadside, leave the responsibilities at home, and be just you for a little while. Take a vacation from stress, and relax the mind. Don't need to think, just hit a good cadence and go.

Oh, and while climbing a hill last weekend, I found twenty bucks on the roadside!

--John

I’m 47 years old. I’ve been riding off and on since high school. Something about a trip to the hospital for appendicitis a few months back convinced me to get on the bike in a serious way. I don’t really have a way to explain it except to say that I must ride. I have yet to reach my potential. I figure I have a few decades of cycling ahead of me. There are marathon runners in their 70’s and 80’s. Why not cyclists at that age? Cyclists’ joints don’t get the beating runners’ receive. By the way, over the hill just means the rest of the pack is still on their way up.

45 year old transplanted Canuck basking in the hills of Colorado (not missing the Canadian winters at all). Just took up cycling this year as rehab for my ACL replacement last fall, and completed my first century (on my old trusty - or is that rusty - MTB). Looking around for a real road bike and planning a few centuries next year. Would love to do a century with you folks. BTW - did the Lake Tahoe Century in June - absolutely stunning and enjoyable.

It may be an yearly thang. Most of the guys that have replied are from all over the US.
. I'm o ly 35 but I feel over 40! Does that count???? Sadly yours and no offence meant.

Trying to start a thread with older cyclist, who may want to exchange idea's and other stuff stuff. Who knows, maybe a world wide club for the over the hill types.:cool:
>>>

I dunno, do I count? I'm 43. I feel 30 though, and look 35.

hi.. i'm a 46 yo gal.. and I can get over the hills.. guess I qualify, eh? :) I'm not speedy (avg 15+mph) but I have good endurance for long distances. My hubby (not over the hill yet) and I love to ride every opportunity we have. We're in Orlando, FL. Yah.. I know... don't laugh... people think FL has no hills... But there is a ride known as the Horrible Hundred with lots of rolling hills... Would be happy to go riding if you are in the area...