Overall help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by stav5371, Oct 8, 2012.

1. stav5371

stav5371 New Member

Dear cycling community,
    I am a 41 year old male, living in Wooster, Ohio. I started running and biking about 4 years ago and have slowly progressed. I am dealing with some hip problems that running exacerbates, but cycling does not. Due to this, I am thinking of focusing my attention on cycling for the future. I literally know nothing about bikes. But, I have a friend at REI that can get any bike at 30% which has me focusing on Cannondale's. They have the Synapse 6 and 7, Synapse Alloy 5 and the CAAD 10 series (5) and the (3). I am probably going to shy away from the CAAD 10 (3) due to price.

Let me tell you my plans. I would like to be able to get into 100 mile rides but due to time constraints will probably train most days from 20-25 miles. I say this because I have seen some reviews that the CAAD may be more comfortable for longer rides. On the flip side, I do want a bike I can grow into that serves me well as I progress.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dan

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

think of your training in hours instead of miles, i would target 2 hours, not too long and not too short, a 100 miles (in flat terrain) takes between 5 to 6 hours at a medium to slow pace, no piece of cake ! if you get into such a ride then you need to try a 3 to 4 hours solo or group ride and see if you can do that first, the CAAD 10 (5) is a very nice bike with good components, i think its great out of the box, no upgrades needed really,

3. stav5371

stav5371 New Member

Thanks for the advice.