"Overcoming" DVD

paulw9

Oct 18, 2004
Just a heads up that if you're thinking about buying the "Overcoming" DVD from World Cycling Productions, you might want to think twice.

The big problem with the DVD is that the film was shot with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, and instead of letterboxing the video WCP has simply SCALED the image to 4:3. Actually, it looks like they took the transfer from the Danish DVD release (which is 16:9 anamorphic) and then scaled that to 4:3.

What this means is that the film looks "squished" -- the image, and all of the people, are tall and thin. When watching the DVD, you get a claustrophobic feeling since the film has been squeezed into a smaller viewable area. I've attached a screen capture from each DVD so that you can compare the two.

Ironically, it looks like the DVD box states that the film's aspect ratio is 1.85:1 (the type on the WCP box is very, very small and hard to see). Regardless of what it says, however, it's really scaled to 4:3 (it's not even "pan and scan").

If you have a region-free DVD player that can perform PAL to NTSC conversion, you might want to pick up the Danish DVD release (which DOES have English subtitles). You can find out more about the Danish release by visiting:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews19/overcoming_dvd_review.htm

There is a link on the page where you can order the DVD from a shop in Denmark. I've ordered DVDs from this shop before and never had a problem getting DVDs delivered to the U.S.

After the problems with audio on the TDF 2005 DVDs, and now with the horrible video on "Overcoming", I'd recommend being extremely cautious before buying DVDs from WCP.

paulw9 said:
Just a heads up that if you're thinking about buying the "Overcoming" DVD from World Cycling Productions, you might want to think twice.

The big problem with the DVD is that the film was shot with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, and instead of letterboxing the video WCP has simply SCALED the image to 4:3. Actually, it looks like they took the transfer from the Danish DVD release (which is 16:9 anamorphic) and then scaled that to 4:3.

What this means is that the film looks "squished" -- the image, and all of the people, are tall and thin. When watching the DVD, you get a claustrophobic feeling since the film has been squeezed into a smaller viewable area. I've attached a screen capture from each DVD so that you can compare the two.

Ironically, it looks like the DVD box states that the film's aspect ratio is 1.85:1 (the type on the WCP box is very, very small and hard to see). Regardless of what it says, however, it's really scaled to 4:3 (it's not even "pan and scan").

If you have a region-free DVD player that can perform PAL to NTSC conversion, you might want to pick up the Danish DVD release (which DOES have English subtitles). You can find out more about the Danish release by visiting:

There is a link on the page where you can order the DVD from a shop in Denmark. I've ordered DVDs from this shop before and never had a problem getting DVDs delivered to the U.S.

After the problems with audio on the TDF 2005 DVDs, and now with the horrible video on "Overcoming", I'd recommend being extremely cautious before buying DVDs from WCP.

Damnit!

I was going to buy that today.. and i dont want to have to read the subtitles in the danish version.. GRR!!!

foild1 said:
Damnit!

I was going to buy that today.. and i dont want to have to read the subtitles in the danish version.. GRR!!!
Both the Danish and the WCP version have English subtitles because while the film does have some dialog in English, other dialog in the film is in different languages (
Danish, French, Italian, and German). The Danish version also provides selectable Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, and Finnish subtitles, along with the ability to remove the subtitles altogether.

If you buy the Danish version, you will have the film with a properly formatted picture, plus it is anamorphic so that if you have a widescreen television you will see the film in widescreen format (those without a widescreen television will see the film letterboxed in the correct aspect ratio; not 4:3 like the WCP version).

The catch with the Danish version is that (as I mentioned) you need a region free DVD player that performs PAL to NTSC conversion, or you can watch it on a PC or a Mac with the appropriate software. For example, on the PC you can use WinDVD (www.intervideo.com) with DVD Region+CSS Free (www.dvdidle.com).

Check out the review of the Danish version at: