Overcoming fear of riding in traffic?

mrhawk166

Nov 5, 2003
Greetings all,

I was just reading the "Getting hit by a car, is it a matter of time?" thread, and it really kinda worries me - I've been a casual cyclist, getting into about 3 months ago. I "commute" to school, which is about .25 miles each way. Occassionally, I commute to places within 25 miles, as my bike is my transportation. Normally, I'd either ride on the sidewalks (illegal, yes I know), or I'd hug the bikelane, and use crosswalks when I'd need to make turns. I'm interested in touring, however, so I know that I need to learn how to commute in traffic (ie, using the left hand turn lanes, using hand signals to move across, etc). The thing is, this terrifies me!

Allow me to clarify, this isn't a "paralyzing" sort of fear, b/c, I've still been practicing, but it still is unnerving. I have a handlebar rear view mirror, I wear my helmet, and I'd like to say that I'm a fairly safe cyclist. I've had a handful of "close" calls, but never any contact. I guess my biggest fear is getting struck from behind (which, from what I read, is quite unlikely) or getting side-swiped. I think its b/c I can't really see behind all that well... (The convex handlebar mirror makes it difficult to see things in the distance, plus it's sometimes partially blocked by gear I carry slung around my body. So, maybe its time that I get a helmet mirror, hm?) Nevertheless, even if I could somehow get eyes implanted into the back of my head, I think I'd still feel very nervous in traffic.

So, my question is: How do you guys muster the courage to commute in traffic? I'd like to know some secrets! ;)

- Mike

basically, just go out there and do it. take the whole lane. also forget about what is behind you unless u are changing lanes or turning. u cant do anything about cars behind you, just accept that.

Use the "Wide Lane/Narrow Lane" rules. Where a lane is wide enough for you and a car, keep well right. Where it is not wide enough for both of you, push away from the side so that a driver 'knows' he must slow and wait then go around. In general make sure the drivers know you are there and know your intentions. You must know what you are doing and do it with assurance.

So, my question is: How do you guys muster the courage to commute in traffic? I'd like to know some secrets! ;)

- Mike [/QUOTE]

Defensive driving is everyghing. You have to be aware all the time of what the drivers are doing. Expect them to turn in front of you, expect them not to see you. Look them in the eyes when you can to make sure they see you. When they are looking the other way and you want to pass in front give a yell and look at them. most of them to understand. Watch out for pedestrians too. Many of them seem more un-aware then the drivers.

I live in seattle, a very bike unfriendly town and we have a wonderfull program here called Bike Buddy sponsered by the Bicycle Alliance of WA. It's designed just for helping new commuters get past the fear and learn some of the tools for staying safe in traffic. They have information on their web site here: http://www.bicyclealliance.org/bikebuddyinfo.htm

They also put out a very good pamplet on safe cycling. You might see if they will send you one.

Welcome to the world of bike commuting.

Good luck and keep the black side down.

Sea

Originally posted by mrhawk166

- Mike

Hi Mike,
First of all, when you are going to move lane position you *have* to shoulder check. The mirror can be a helpful tool, but you can still have blind spots, so you must shoulder check. If you cannot do this and still ride in a straight line, then find a parking lot or place where you can practice shoulder checking outside of traffic. If your gear on your back encumbers you too much to see after a shoulder check, get a rack or panniers so the gear can go on your bike and not obstruct your field of vision.

It can be helpful when you are first starting off to ride with someone more experienced riding in traffic. You can always also copy people you see ahead of you on the roadway but this is usually a bad idea because many of them don't follow traffic laws.

The most important thing for riding in traffic is to be PREDICTABLE. Ride in a straight line as much as possible. If there is a parked car lane with cars sparsely parked throughout it, ride on the left side of the lane. Don't weave in and out of the cars by feeling you always need to go back to the curb - nobody will enter the lane unless they are turning or parking anyway as it is obstructed for them. You need to be highly visible. The worst thing about riding on the sidewalk is drivers don't expect a vehicle at speed to be there and so many intersection accidents occur.

Don't hug the curb - you need to ride at least far enough out from the curb that you don't need to swerve to avoid curb obstacles. If the lane is too narrow to share with a car ride in the middle of the lane. Be sure to leave enough space between you and the parked cars so you don't get doored.

As far as getting hit from behind, drivers will see you. They see objects lying on the roadway most of the time and avoid them to avoid scratching up their car. You are much higher than that. An important caveat to this is if you right at night you must have a headlight and taillight in order to be properly visible.

For making vehicular style turns it will take some practice to figure out the best timing for making a merge. Sometimes you'll miss your chance to merge, and may have to dismount and cross at a light. Always signal and always shoulder check. From a left turn lane you want to turn from the right side of the lane. From a left turn/straight combination lane, try the center. That way no confusion whether the closest car to you goes left or goes straight.

Keep in mind drivers often don't signal - use wheel positions as a cue to predict their behaviour. Sometimes you will have to yield your right of way to them, better to be alive than right. A bell is helpful as a warning signal if you anticipate someone turning in front of you.

I think it basically comes down to be alert and predictable, and assert the space you need. If you ride timidly right next the curb you will feel squeezed.

For route selection, try to pick something reasonably direct but that avoids the busiest roads (at least until you are more comfortable) Wider roads give you more space, but they also tend to have faster moving traffic. Busy but congested roads aren't as bad as you might think because there is little speed variation between you and the cars.

Hope this helps.
Tanya

Originally posted by Dawnrider
Im a bit confused by this! you are saying that if you are on a narrow lane you should ride in the middle?

If the lane is too narrow to share safely, then by riding in the middle, or "taking" the lane, you make it obvious to other vehicles that they must change lanes in order to pass you. Otherwise they might try to pass anyway if you are squeezed over to the curb with just inches of room - and if you need to veer around a curb hazard you will collide.

If the lane is too narrow to share safely, then by riding in the middle, or "taking" the lane, you make it obvious to other vehicles that they must change lanes in order to pass you.

that sounds a bit dodgy, i imagine the drivers reaction would be, 'how much of the road do you need, moron', etc.

Originally posted by Dawnrider
that sounds a bit dodgy, i imagine the drivers reaction would be, 'how much of the road do you need, moron', etc.

Well if the lane is too narrow to share *safely* then yes you need the entire lane. Most drivers don't have a problem with this and simply change lanes. If you want to be treated like other traffic you have to behave like other traffic.

Originally posted by tanyaq
Well if the lane is too narrow to share *safely* then yes you need the entire lane. Most drivers don't have a problem with this and simply change lanes. If you want to be treated like other traffic you have to behave like other traffic.

The majority of drivers here think the bicyclist should be as far to the right as possible and they show their displeasure if he/she is not. We have a law here that all moter vehicles must give bicycles two feet of clearence. It is simply ignored by a large portion of drivers.

Originally posted by tanyaq
Well if the lane is too narrow to share *safely* then yes you need the entire lane.

Thank you all for your responses (especially you, TanyaQ for your thorough advice!).

I feel I must add my two cents here - from what I've found from riding in narrow lanes is that yes, you kind of must take the lane if it's too narrow. I make my guideline this: I'll ride about 2 feet from the curb, at a MINIMUM. If that places me into a lane, so be it. If it places me just to the right of the center, that's fine.

The one difficult situation I've found is this: Imagine a steep uphill road, 2 or 3 lanes across, sharply curving to the right, and normally light, sparse traffic. There's no bikelane, or sidewalk. The speedlimit is 40 or 45mph. If you just take the right hand side as normal, and cars are flying up at 45mph, and you're going 5mph, they're not gonna see you until the last second! I've found that its best just to hug the left hand side of the rightmost lane - makes you a lot more visible to traffic coming around the bend, yet you're not really blocking traffic, b/c there's 2-3 other lanes next to you.

I wish you all a safe trip...

- Mike

This is a very complicated topic that years of experience help sort out. But to add to what has already been offered:

1. The main thing to realize is that whatever the laws, whoever is in the right or in the wrong between bikes and cars, plenty of drivers don't really buy that bicycles have a right to be on the road--and they show it by cutting you off, crowding you, passing by mere millimeters, honking their horns, yelling insults etc. Hence it's essential to understand that as the smaller and more vunerable player here, worry less about the laws and more about staying out of the way of cars. Sometimes you'll have done nothing wrong, and will have every legal right in the world to be on a particular road, oriented in a particular manner etc. But to stay alive in day to day riding, size rules. Stay out of the way of cars.

2. It's essential to learn to read traffic, it's rhythm and its timing. You CAN anticipate the vast majority of situations out on the road that could lead to an accident. It takes time to develop a feel for this, but it's vital to long term safety.

3. Always have a plan b in the back of your mind for what line you'll take if a car pulls out in front of you, cuts you off, turns to the right in front of you, etc etc. You'll have a very short time to react if one of these things happens, and you need to be instantaneously ready to do something than lamely plow into the side of the car. Once you have more experience, it becomes subconscious to have this sort of plan b in mind.

4. Let judgment determine how you handle specific situations, more than hard and fast rules. For example, it can be safer to position yourself between the left and right lanes of traffic at stoplights when lots of cars are turning right from the right lane. Even though being between lanes of traffic is a general no no.

5. ALWAYS be aware of the traffic around you. You CANNOT go into brain dead mode, particularly in heavy urban traffic.

6. Be aware that drivers are a great deal more crazy at times--rush hour comes to mind. Sunday afternoons on holiday weekends there are a great many more drunken drivers about. So you need to be extra careful at such moments.

7. I discovered recently that a very bright blinking rear taillight seems to eliminate almost all of the crowding, driver annoyance that one normally encounters. I wrote a separate post about that in this forum. I recommend highly that if you're afraid of traffic you get a Nightrider LED taillight and Nimh battery. You'll be amazed how much less stressful riding in traffic will become.

8. I hope it goes without saying that you need to become expert in bike handling skills. There seems to be a tendency among beginning cyclists of this era to think that safety conscious means wearing a helmet. It does not. It means all of the points mentioned above and by other experienced cyclists.

Best of luck for your continued evolution into a cyclist that (hopefully) won't be hit by a car. It has happened to me a few times. As luck had it, I wasn't badly injured.

This is a very complicated topic that years of experience help sort out. But to add to what has already been offered:

1. The main thing to realize is that whatever the laws, whoever is in the right or in the wrong between bikes and cars, plenty of drivers don't really buy that bicycles have a right to be on the road--and they show it by cutting you off, crowding you, passing by mere millimeters, honking their horns, yelling insults etc. Most of them aren't really aware how terrifying all that can be, or how dangerous. Be that as it may, it's essential to understand that as the smaller and more vunerable player here, worry less about the laws and more about staying out of the way of cars. Sometimes you'll have done nothing wrong, and will have every legal right in the world to be on a particular road, oriented in a particular manner etc. But to stay alive in day to day riding, size rules. Stay out of the way of cars.

2. It's essential to learn to read traffic, it's rhythm and its timing. You CAN anticipate the vast majority of situations out on the road that could lead to an accident. It takes time to develop a feel for this, but it's vital to long term safety.

3. Always have a plan b in the back of your mind for what line you'll take if a car pulls out in front of you, cuts you off, turns to the right in front of you, etc etc. You'll have a very short time to react if one of these things happens, and you need to be instantaneously ready to do something other than lamely plow into the side of the car. Once you have more experience, it becomes subconscious to have this sort of plan b in mind.

4. Let judgment determine how you handle specific situations, more than hard and fast rules. For example, it can be safer to position yourself between the left and right lanes of traffic at stoplights when lots of cars are turning right from the right lane. Even though being between lanes of traffic is a general no no.

5. ALWAYS be aware of the traffic around you. You CANNOT go into brain dead mode, particularly in heavy urban traffic.

6. Be aware that drivers are a great deal more crazy at times--rush hour comes to mind. Sunday afternoons on holiday weekends there are a great many more drunken drivers about. So you need to be extra careful at such moments.

7. I discovered recently that a very bright blinking rear taillight seems to eliminate almost all of the crowding and driver annoyance that one normally encounters. I wrote a separate post about that in this forum. I recommend highly that if you're afraid of traffic you get a Nightrider LED taillight and Nimh battery. You'll be amazed how much less stressful riding in traffic will become.

8. I hope it goes without saying that you need to become expert in bike handling skills. There seems to be a tendency among beginning cyclists of this era to think that safety conscious means wearing a helmet. It does not. It means all of the points mentioned above.

Best of luck for your continued evolution into a cyclist that (hopefully) won't be hit by a car. It has happened to me a few times. As luck had it, I wasn't badly injured.