"Overcoming" Music Q

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Cat Dailey, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    Just watched "Overcoming" last night and was wondering if anyone knows the
    artist/title/album of the drum music during the part where Lance and Ivan
    Basso are climbing to La Mongie. I can't tell from the closing credits.

    Any help would be appreciated,
    Cat

    Tags:

  2. HBJensen

    HBJensen Guest

    "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just watched "Overcoming" last night and was wondering if anyone knows the
    > artist/title/album of the drum music during the part where Lance and Ivan
    > Basso are climbing to La Mongie. I can't tell from the closing credits.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated,
    > Cat

    I'm expecting my copy of the DVD any day now, so I will let you know if I
    know the music.

    Henrik

  3. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "HBJensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Just watched "Overcoming" last night and was wondering if anyone knows
    >> the artist/title/album of the drum music during the part where Lance and
    >> Ivan Basso are climbing to La Mongie. I can't tell from the closing
    >> credits.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated,
    >> Cat
    >>

    > I'm expecting my copy of the DVD any day now, so I will let you know if I
    > know the music.
    >
    > Henrik

    Thank you Henrik! I would be curious to know your opinion of the film as
    well!

    Cat

  4. On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:53:01 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thank you Henrik! I would be curious to know your opinion of the film as
    >well!

    I just got it and it was pretty intense. But I didn't really enjoy it
    or have much interest in watching it again -- too much introspection,
    and emotion, and guys talking to each other man-to-man and saying all
    sorts of heartfelt deep stuff.

    Worth seeing, but I'm not sure it was worth paying for.

    For me, Hell on Wheels with Telekom is better.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:53:01 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Thank you Henrik! I would be curious to know your opinion of the film as
    >>well!

    > I just got it and it was pretty intense. But I didn't really enjoy it
    > or have much interest in watching it again -- too much introspection,
    > and emotion, and guys talking to each other man-to-man and saying all
    > sorts of heartfelt deep stuff.
    >
    > Worth seeing, but I'm not sure it was worth paying for.
    >
    > For me, Hell on Wheels with Telekom is better.
    >
    > JT

    And for me, it was probably the one and only cycling film that I would say
    is not even worth seeing. I just can't understand what all the good press
    was all about. It was so disjointed that you couldn't even get a sense of
    where in the race they were or what the issues were. The real highlight,
    and I mean he was just AWESOME was the team chiropractor, I think his name
    was Ole? That guy was just brilliant. The talking to that he gave to
    Bjarne gave me goosebumps. And all along I thought Bjarne was the super
    motivator, uber coach.

    As an aside, I've ridden with Bobby Julich before and met his wife and I
    think he's a super nice guy. I can see, however, through this film, why he
    might have the reputation in the peloton as being a bit of a whiner. I
    don't for a minute think he is a whiner, but the combination of his voice
    and the way he expresses himself might be misinterpreted as such.

    The scene with Bjarne talking to Ivan Basso about what happened the day
    after La Mongie when he and Lance again rode side by side with Lance taking
    the day was a hoot. Ivan was so busy munching on his ricecake that he
    looked like he didn't give a sh** what Bjarne was telling him (which I
    interpreted as, you LET Lance win today, you could have beaten him again).
    And the fact that a guy who probably just burned off about 8,000 calories
    would each a disgusting, tastes like cardboard dry ricecake was a bit on
    enlightenment for me.

    Anyway, sorry to be so long winded but you are the only other person who I
    know who's seen the film ;>

    Cat

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:53:01 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Thank you Henrik! I would be curious to know your opinion of the film as
    > >>well!

    > > I just got it and it was pretty intense. But I didn't really enjoy it
    > > or have much interest in watching it again -- too much introspection,
    > > and emotion, and guys talking to each other man-to-man and saying all
    > > sorts of heartfelt deep stuff.
    > >
    > > Worth seeing, but I'm not sure it was worth paying for.
    > >
    > > For me, Hell on Wheels with Telekom is better.
    > >
    > > JT
    > >

    > And for me, it was probably the one and only cycling film that I would say
    > is not even worth seeing. I just can't understand what all the good press
    > was all about. It was so disjointed that you couldn't even get a sense of
    > where in the race they were or what the issues were. The real highlight,
    > and I mean he was just AWESOME was the team chiropractor, I think his name
    > was Ole? That guy was just brilliant. The talking to that he gave to
    > Bjarne gave me goosebumps. And all along I thought Bjarne was the super
    > motivator, uber coach.
    >
    > As an aside, I've ridden with Bobby Julich before and met his wife and I
    > think he's a super nice guy. I can see, however, through this film, why he
    > might have the reputation in the peloton as being a bit of a whiner. I
    > don't for a minute think he is a whiner, but the combination of his voice
    > and the way he expresses himself might be misinterpreted as such.
    >
    > The scene with Bjarne talking to Ivan Basso about what happened the day
    > after La Mongie when he and Lance again rode side by side with Lance taking
    > the day was a hoot. Ivan was so busy munching on his ricecake that he
    > looked like he didn't give a sh** what Bjarne was telling him (which I
    > interpreted as, you LET Lance win today, you could have beaten him again).
    > And the fact that a guy who probably just burned off about 8,000 calories
    > would each a disgusting, tastes like cardboard dry ricecake was a bit on
    > enlightenment for me.
    >
    > Anyway, sorry to be so long winded

    Not at all. It's a hoot. You put it across very well, and
    I welcome what you say about B. Julich. Would you say a
    few more words about the chiropractor and Bjarne?

    --
    Michael Press

  7. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > I just got it and it was pretty intense. But I didn't really enjoy it
    >> > or have much interest in watching it again -- too much introspection,
    >> > and emotion, and guys talking to each other man-to-man and saying all
    >> > sorts of heartfelt deep stuff.
    >> >
    >> > Worth seeing, but I'm not sure it was worth paying for.
    >> >
    >> > For me, Hell on Wheels with Telekom is better.
    >> >
    >> > JT
    >> >

    >> And for me, it was probably the one and only cycling film that I would
    >> say
    >> is not even worth seeing. I just can't understand what all the good
    >> press
    >> was all about. It was so disjointed that you couldn't even get a sense
    >> of
    >> where in the race they were or what the issues were. The real highlight,
    >> and I mean he was just AWESOME was the team chiropractor, I think his
    >> name
    >> was Ole? That guy was just brilliant. The talking to that he gave to
    >> Bjarne gave me goosebumps. And all along I thought Bjarne was the super
    >> motivator, uber coach.
    >>
    >> As an aside, I've ridden with Bobby Julich before and met his wife and I
    >> think he's a super nice guy. I can see, however, through this film, why
    >> he
    >> might have the reputation in the peloton as being a bit of a whiner. I
    >> don't for a minute think he is a whiner, but the combination of his voice
    >> and the way he expresses himself might be misinterpreted as such.
    >>
    >> The scene with Bjarne talking to Ivan Basso about what happened the day
    >> after La Mongie when he and Lance again rode side by side with Lance
    >> taking
    >> the day was a hoot. Ivan was so busy munching on his ricecake that he
    >> looked like he didn't give a sh** what Bjarne was telling him (which I
    >> interpreted as, you LET Lance win today, you could have beaten him
    >> again).
    >> And the fact that a guy who probably just burned off about 8,000 calories
    >> would each a disgusting, tastes like cardboard dry ricecake was a bit on
    >> enlightenment for me.
    >>
    >> Anyway, sorry to be so long winded

    > Not at all. It's a hoot. You put it across very well, and
    > I welcome what you say about B. Julich. Would you say a
    > few more words about the chiropractor and Bjarne?
    >
    >> but you are the only other person who I
    >> know who's seen the film ;>

    > --
    > Michael Press

    Sure. It was very clear that from the beginning of the race, he was looking
    for ways to help each individual rider on his own terms, particularly Carlos
    Sastre, who appeared to be a little bit of a head case. Ole was extremely
    kind and was really good at giving each rider a gentle pep talk after each
    day's stage. When he took Bjarne aside, he told him that he was basically
    being too hard and dour and that the riders needed some psychological boost
    from time to time. The way he expressed himself was just awesome and I
    thought to myself, "that guy has got huge brass ones to be talking to Bjarne
    in this way." He was just old school, I am speaking to you as a friend, but
    pulling absolutely no punches in the delivery. Like I said, goosebump
    material. The other thing, which I had NO IDEA happened in professional
    racing, was that riders from other teams wanted to use his services during
    the race, which Bjarne finally put a stop to. He is evidently super highly
    regarded as someone who can "fix" whatever ails a rider. It was so sad to
    see one rider (I can't remember who it was) from another team basically
    begging he and Bjarne to let Ole look at him every day after every stage.

    Cat

  8. On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 07:08:32 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Sure. It was very clear that from the beginning of the race, he was looking
    >for ways to help each individual rider on his own terms, particularly Carlos
    >Sastre, who appeared to be a little bit of a head case. Ole was extremely
    >kind and was really good at giving each rider a gentle pep talk after each
    >day's stage. When he took Bjarne aside, he told him that he was basically
    >being too hard and dour and that the riders needed some psychological boost
    >from time to time. The way he expressed himself was just awesome and I
    >thought to myself, "that guy has got huge brass ones to be talking to Bjarne
    >in this way." He was just old school, I am speaking to you as a friend, but
    >pulling absolutely no punches in the delivery. Like I said, goosebump
    >material.

    The one other element was that in this scene, as in many others, I
    felt that the guys talking were about to either start:
    1. crying
    2. punching each other
    3. making out with each other.

    It was way over the top.

    > The other thing, which I had NO IDEA happened in professional
    >racing, was that riders from other teams wanted to use his services during
    >the race, which Bjarne finally put a stop to. He is evidently super highly
    >regarded as someone who can "fix" whatever ails a rider. It was so sad to
    >see one rider (I can't remember who it was) from another team basically
    >begging he and Bjarne to let Ole look at him every day after every stage.

    I hate to admit I missed that, probably due to wiping the tears out of
    my eyes from some other heart-wrenching scene

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  9. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <usenetremove[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 07:08:32 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Sure. It was very clear that from the beginning of the race, he was
    >>looking
    >>for ways to help each individual rider on his own terms, particularly
    >>Carlos
    >>Sastre, who appeared to be a little bit of a head case. Ole was extremely
    >>kind and was really good at giving each rider a gentle pep talk after each
    >>day's stage. When he took Bjarne aside, he told him that he was basically
    >>being too hard and dour and that the riders needed some psychological
    >>boost
    >>from time to time. The way he expressed himself was just awesome and I
    >>thought to myself, "that guy has got huge brass ones to be talking to
    >>Bjarne
    >>in this way." He was just old school, I am speaking to you as a friend,
    >>but
    >>pulling absolutely no punches in the delivery. Like I said, goosebump
    >>material.

    > The one other element was that in this scene, as in many others, I
    > felt that the guys talking were about to either start:
    > 1. crying
    > 2. punching each other
    > 3. making out with each other.
    >
    > It was way over the top.
    >
    >> The other thing, which I had NO IDEA happened in professional
    >>racing, was that riders from other teams wanted to use his services during
    >>the race, which Bjarne finally put a stop to. He is evidently super
    >>highly
    >>regarded as someone who can "fix" whatever ails a rider. It was so sad to
    >>see one rider (I can't remember who it was) from another team basically
    >>begging he and Bjarne to let Ole look at him every day after every stage.

    > I hate to admit I missed that, probably due to wiping the tears out of
    > my eyes from some other heart-wrenching scene
    >
    > JT

    Man, how did you miss that? It went on for like DAYS. It was just so sad
    to see the guy groveling ;> I just kept wanting him to go away already. It
    was pathetic.

    And with the first scene that you commented on, I just kept expecting Bjarne
    to tell him, "you're fired!"

    Cat

  10. HBJensen

    HBJensen Guest

    "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "HBJensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    > Thank you Henrik! I would be curious to know your opinion of the film as
    > well!
    >
    > Cat

    Hey Cat

    Finally, I got my copy. What a wait :eek:)

    I couldn't figure out the music though. Perhaps writing to the producers of
    the film is the only solution.

    It was a special and rare look behind the scenes of a pro cycling team. I
    enjoyed it. The scene with Ole telling Riis smile a bit more is great. I
    like the scenes with Sastre as well, he seems like a funny guy, but not the
    type of rider who enjoys Riis' training methods. Cool to see Riis letting
    Sastre have a day "off" where he could train like he wanted to.

    Lots of good stuff, and I think it shows that the riders enjoy being on this
    team.

    :Henrik

  11. On 02/07/2006 03:34 AM, in article
    [email protected], "HBJensen"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I couldn't figure out the music though. Perhaps writing to the producers of
    > the film is the only solution.

    Did you ever think about looking online?

    According to the credits at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465556/fullcredits

    "Original Music by Tobias Marberger"

    Some samples of work by Tobias Marberger on the following pages:

    http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilogy/demos.html
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylusrmx/demos.html
    http://www2.hku.nl/~jnd/files/demos_sam/truestrike_borbazor.mp3
    http://tombstone.avocade.com/marberger_v2/indexFlash.html

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  12. HBJensen

    HBJensen Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:C00DF82F.396D7%[email protected]
    > On 02/07/2006 03:34 AM, in article
    > [email protected], "HBJensen"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > Did you ever think about looking online?
    >
    > According to the credits at
    > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465556/fullcredits
    >
    > "Original Music by Tobias Marberger"
    >
    > Some samples of work by Tobias Marberger on the following pages:
    >
    > http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilogy/demos.html
    > http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylusrmx/demos.html
    > http://www2.hku.nl/~jnd/files/demos_sam/truestrike_borbazor.mp3
    > http://tombstone.avocade.com/marberger_v2/indexFlash.html

    Brilliant Steven :eek:)

    Somehow I figured Cat had already tried this.

    Thanx

    Henrik