Overcoming- New film on CSC in the 2004 Tour

trg

Guest
Due out this week in Denmark-

Fiction as fact: OVERCOMING is a film that will provide profound,
penetrating insight behind the scenes of the hermetically closed world of
professional cycling. With former pro rider, Tour de France winner Bjarne
Riis as our protagonist, the film follows him and his new Team CSC closely
as they strive for the impossible: to become the best in the world and win
the Tour de France. The drama and excitement will unfurl like Kelly's
Heroes: using the most unorthodox methods ever, the general (Riis) will
forge a group of soldiers (the riders) from widely differing backgrounds
into a single unit: a unit he will launch on an impossible mission.
OVERCOMING is a frank, no-holds-barred portrait of a world few people can
imagine: a world in which even the toughest go under as the team strive to
realize their ambition. "If you want to win the Tour de France you must be
prepared to eat your own ****!" With the classical narrative form from the
world of fiction as our pattern, the roles will step into character one by
one: the heroes, the villains, the champions, the rivals, the victims. The
CSC Team includes: Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Michele Bartoli, Jens Voigt,
Bobby Julich, Jacob Piil, and the team's medical advisor: Ole Kaare Føli.

http://www.nordisk.dk/ws/E_NewTitles.asp?film=771

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:43:24 +0200, "trg"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Due out this week in Denmark-
>
>Fiction as fact: OVERCOMING is a film that will provide profound,
>penetrating insight behind the scenes of the hermetically closed world of
>professional cycling. With former pro rider, Tour de France winner Bjarne
>Riis as our protagonist, the film follows him and his new Team CSC closely
>as they strive for the impossible: to become the best in the world and win
>the Tour de France. The drama and excitement will unfurl like Kelly's
>Heroes: using the most unorthodox methods ever, the general (Riis) will
>forge a group of soldiers (the riders) from widely differing backgrounds
>into a single unit: a unit he will launch on an impossible mission.
>OVERCOMING is a frank, no-holds-barred portrait of a world few people can
>imagine: a world in which even the toughest go under as the team strive to
>realize their ambition. "If you want to win the Tour de France you must be
>prepared to eat your own ****!" With the classical narrative form from the
>world of fiction as our pattern, the roles will step into character one by
>one: the heroes, the villains, the champions, the rivals, the victims. The
>CSC Team includes: Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Michele Bartoli, Jens Voigt,
>Bobby Julich, Jacob Piil, and the team's medical advisor: Ole Kaare Føli.
>
>http://www.nordisk.dk/ws/E_NewTitles.asp?film=771

More on http://tomasgislason.com/front.php

"Documentaries"

Poul Erik
Fjern cykel i adresse

--
== __o
Poul Erik Lindaa === _'\ <_ E-mail: [email protected]ldk

"Poul Erik" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:43:24 +0200, "trg"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Due out this week in Denmark-
> >
> >Fiction as fact: OVERCOMING is a film that will provide profound,
> >penetrating insight behind the scenes of the hermetically closed world of
> >professional cycling. With former pro rider, Tour de France winner Bjarne
> >Riis as our protagonist, the film follows him and his new Team CSC

closely
> >as they strive for the impossible: to become the best in the world and

win
> >the Tour de France. The drama and excitement will unfurl like Kelly's
> >Heroes: using the most unorthodox methods ever, the general (Riis) will
> >forge a group of soldiers (the riders) from widely differing backgrounds
> >into a single unit: a unit he will launch on an impossible mission.
> >OVERCOMING is a frank, no-holds-barred portrait of a world few people can
> >imagine: a world in which even the toughest go under as the team strive

> >realize their ambition. "If you want to win the Tour de France you must

be
> >prepared to eat your own ****!" With the classical narrative form from

the
> >world of fiction as our pattern, the roles will step into character one

by
> >one: the heroes, the villains, the champions, the rivals, the victims.

The
> >CSC Team includes: Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Michele Bartoli, Jens

Voigt,
> >Bobby Julich, Jacob Piil, and the team's medical advisor: Ole Kaare Føli.
> >
> >http://www.nordisk.dk/ws/E_NewTitles.asp?film=771
> >

> More on http://tomasgislason.com/front.php
>
> "Documentaries"
>
> Poul Erik
> Fjern cykel i adresse

Thanks for the link. There's a long (10 minute ?) preview/trailer that gives
a good idea of the film. The style reminds me of Riget (The Kingdom),
especially the music.

It looks great though they're cutting it pretty close with the Tour.
Looks like the whole narrative depends on this particular team and this
particular tour. I hope it gets released in the States soon.

trg wrote:

> one: the heroes, the villains, the champions, the rivals, the victims. The
> CSC Team includes: Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Michele Bartoli, Jens Voigt,
> Bobby Julich, Jacob Piil, and the team's medical advisor: Ole Kaare Føli.

Ouch.

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message
de news:[email protected]...

> trg wrote:
>
> > one: the heroes, the villains, the champions, the rivals, the victims.

The
> > CSC Team includes: Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Michele Bartoli, Jens

Voigt,
> > Bobby Julich, Jacob Piil, and the team's medical advisor: Ole Kaare

Føli.

> Ouch.

??? Why the "ouch"?

Procycling.com has an article about the film, and apparently the film
is about last year's tour and the "cooperation between Basso and
Armstrong" or something like that.

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:51:12 +0200, trg wrote:
> "Stewart Fleming" a écrit:
>> trg wrote:
>>> The CSC Team includes: Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Michele Bartoli,
>>> Jens Voigt, Bobby Julich, Jacob Piil, and the team's medical advisor:

>> Ouch.

> ??? Why the "ouch"?

It does not even include anymore the previously billed main subject of
the film, Tyler Hamilton.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

"Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:51:12 +0200, trg wrote:
> >>
> >> Ouch.

> > ??? Why the "ouch"?

> It does not even include anymore the previously billed main subject of
> the film, Tyler Hamilton.

I think that's a different film you're talking about isn't it? The Tyler
film was an IMAX deal from the 2003 tour (something about how the brain
works IIRC. This film is by a Danish director just about the 2004 tour
(after Tyler had left the team.)

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:18:40 +0200, trg wrote:
> I think that's a different film you're talking about isn't it?

Oh damn, I never thought about it twice, just reacted to 'film about
CSC'. Maybe Stewart did the same.

--

trg wrote:
> The drama and excitement will unfurl like Kelly's
> Heroes: using the most unorthodox methods ever, the general (Riis) will
> forge a group of soldiers (the riders) from widely differing backgrounds
> into a single unit: a unit he will launch on an impossible mission.

That's a weird comparison, although not quite as weird as
"Kelly's Heroes" itself. Riis is Kelly ("Somebody had to get blamed
and he got picked"), and Bobby J is the freaky hippie Donald Sutherland
character, okay, but who plays the Tiger tank commander? Godefroot?
Bruyneel? LANCE?

trg wrote:
>>>CSC Team includes: Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre, Michele Bartoli, Jens

> Voigt,
>
>>>Bobby Julich, Jacob Piil, and the team's medical advisor: Ole Kaare

> Føli.
>
>>Ouch.

> ??? Why the "ouch"?

Inclusion of the medical advisor as "part of the team".

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message
de news:[email protected]...

> > Voigt,

> > Føli.
> >
> >>Ouch.

> > ??? Why the "ouch"?

> Inclusion of the medical advisor as "part of the team".

Oh. Is it a doping "ouch" ? The guy's a physical therapist. I think the role
of team pusher would have been filled by someone else (someone who can write
prescriptions and is mostly off camera.) Or does "ouch" mean that if a PT
plays a key part in the film, that means the film show lots of crashes and
suffering.?