Overcoming - so what did you think?

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
To those of us who scored freebie tix, what did you think of the film?

Quick precis: An intense portrayal of complex emotional, psychological and physical effects on a TdF team. I liked it immensely. ;)

I was rather sore after the shortest ever BR (go figure!) but the thing that struck me (yes, i liked it and now want DVD to see extra bits) was it was all
straightforward, 'team', and doable. and then the unforeseeable.
Crashes, rain, Lance, crashes, injuries, pressure, family, Basso's mum's cancer, etc.

It was like watching a group of men face their demons and somehow survive be addicted to it.
Riis's racing 'itch' was obviously getting the better of him at times.

Sastre was cool! 'Old School'
("I dont need to understand this computer. IT needs to understand me!").
The Soigneur guy was like the fisherman/captain outta Jaws :D

cfsmtb said:
To those of us who scored freebie tix, what did you think of the film?

Quick precis: An intense portrayal of complex emotional, psychological and physical effects on a TdF team. I liked it immensely. ;)

I really liked it. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than HoW, it's inevitable that people will make comparisons between them but for me the subject matter of each movie is very different.

HoW is a lot more about the TdF and a lot less about the protagonists of the piece. With Overcoming it's all about the protagonists.

I'll be seeing it again :)

cfsmtb said:
To those of us who scored freebie tix, what did you think of the film?

Quick precis: An intense portrayal of complex emotional, psychological and physical effects on a TdF team. I liked it immensely. ;)

I was very pleased to see the movie as I thought it really documented the trials,
tribulations, ectasy and agony of taking part in the race. I was even more inspired to get riding more after seeing it. I would like to see it again
as we were in the front row and some of the scenes deserve better than being watched from that angle. I thought it was a wonderfully honest documentary and I loved the main protagonists.

Thanks for the tickets Dutchy.

Loved it. I'm a big Basso fan so it was good for me in that regard to. Top bloke.

Having watched the 2004 tour many times, it was great to get an insight into the going's on behind the scenes - really fascinating stuff.

The portrayal of human emotion and comraderie was fantastic. Loved the editing and the way the movie was presented.

I'll be going back to see it again.

jazmo said:
Thanks for the tickets Dutchy.

no problemo.
one (small) quibble i had (mainly due to my inability to understand Italian, French, etc) was the subtitles.
Dont get me wrong, subtitles are fine for nuffuts like me, but combined with the in-movie messages/text at the top of the screen it brought flashbacks of playing 'Asteroids' (B+W, in a booth) in the late 70's as my eyes darted all over the place.
Apparently on the DVD is a good lil snippet of a run-in between Riis and the mechanics

PS whyTF was Riis driving whilst also trying to think/strategise and speek to his riders?

flyingdutch said:
no problemo.
one (small) quibble i had (mainly due to my inability to understand Italian, French, etc) was the subtitles.
Dont get me wrong, subtitles are fine for nuffuts like me, but combined with the in-movie messages/text at the top of the screen it brought flashbacks of playing 'Asteroids' (B+W, in a booth) in the late 70's as my eyes darted all over the place.
Apparently on the DVD is a good lil snippet of a run-in between Riis and the mechanics

PS whyTF was Riis driving whilst also trying to think/strategise and speek to his riders?

Agree, why did a movie that was clearly going to have to be subtitled (who understands 6 languages?) have those bits of text across the bottom of the screen. I found it even more confusing I think from my location at the bottom of the screen.

I thought Riis has a much better grip of himself than that guy next to him as Basso was winning that stage. He had me in silent hysterics. :D

flyingdutch wrote:

> PS whyTF was Riis driving whilst also trying to think/strategise and
> speek to his riders?

Most DS's drive the cars, it's just the done thing.

cfsmtb said:
To those of us who scored freebie tix, what did you think of the film?

Loved it.. I'll be downloading it as soon as someone rips the DVD.. er.. I mean, seeing it again.... makes me want to hunt down the other behind the scenes movies like "The Tour Baby", "Road to Paris"..etc..

ta again for the tix FD!

cheers,
GPL

SuzieB said:
I thought Riis has a much better grip of himself than that guy next to him as Basso was winning that stage. He had me in silent hysterics. :D

Be thankful that the hysterics were silent. A guffawing Suzie in full flight is an experience not soon forgotten!

Bleve said:
Most DS's drive the cars, it's just the done thing.

a rather awkward moment when Riis almost kills Julich while handing him a bottle and nudging him into a rider to his left, whilst dodging a cameraman.
Julich is obviously ****** but either doesnt say what he's thinkin or they edited it out and lot's of awkward silence between Riis and Julich follows...

I loved the movie - the insights to what goes on the background of the Tour, the riders/team environment (man, carlos sastre can be a funny mofo!), the emotions, struggles, triumphs that have been captured/portrayed.

And the subtleties - Bobby Julich complaining that he cant use his right hand at all and someone in the background commeting "..So its the stranger tonight.." :D

Definately gotta see it again, or get a copy/dvd fast, or both!

Ash - Feeding the Addiction

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> To those of us who scored freebie tix, what did you think of the film?
>
> Quick precis: An intense portrayal of complex emotional, psychological
> and physical effects on a TdF team. I liked it immensely. ;)
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Anyone know if it will be shown in Brisbane? I've checked the Palace cinemas
and the Schonell at UQ.

Adam

adam85 said:
Anyone know if it will be shown in Brisbane? I've checked the Palace cinemas
and the Schonell at UQ.

Adam

dunno. ask these peoples...

http://www.aztecinternational.com.au/

It's got the Schonell listed in left column so looks like your in luck

flyingdutch said:
dunno. ask these peoples...

http://www.aztecinternational.com.au/

It's got the Schonell listed in left column so looks like your in luck

Thanks Dutchy, I've sent them an email.

Adam