overdid it at the relay for life

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by brad g, Nov 23, 2006.

1. brad g

brad g New Member

I have finally found my limitations. It would seem that after not running or jogging for 8 years, it isn't a good idea to just go and run 10 miles at the relay for life. Maybe the new fitness level that I had achieved and the weight that I had lost on the bike made me feel like I could do it, but believe me, I know different now. I haven't been on my bike now for three weeks. The constant jarring of running that far had caused a bulging disk in my neck (that I didn't know I had) to rub on the nerves, which in turn caused my neck to start severely hurting and caused numbness in my right arm and hand. I went to the doctor about it and missed 2 weeks of work. Just when the neck was healing up nicely, one of my teeth abcessed and I had to get it and 2 others extracted, this happened 2 days ago, and I've been down with it since. I'm hoping to get back in the saddle maybe Saturday, but it depends on how quickly I can heal from this. I know this has been a lot of rambling, but please people, know your limitations and don't try to be a hero.

Tags:

2. HenryLaRoy

HenryLaRoy New Member

My sister lost her fiancee to cancer. He was a great guy and he continues to be an inspiration to me. He held on for many years, at one time getting written up in the New England Journal of Medicine for being the longest survivor of Non-Hogkins Lymphoma.

Bill was diagnosed when blood tests at the Olympic Training Camp turned up strange results. (He was trying for the cycling team) After his diagnosis he worked for the American Cancer Society and Relay for Life as a volunteer for many years.

IMHO you were a hero when you decided to get involved. Thank you.

3. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

brad, you're my Hero, what a wonderfull cause I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Don't try and do too much, it takes time for a Disc to recover, especially in the neck...

My wife had surgery (a Discectomy) for a Herniated Disc, she went back to work after 3 Days (In an Office, so it's not sooo bad), the problem was, she started to feel "much better" after a couple of weeks and she started to do Normal things way too soon and set herself back to square one...she's very stubborn...

Anyway, she learned her lesson after a couple of Days of intense pain and no behaves herself...she's had the OK to get back on the bike for short flat rides in a couple of weeks...and by the way, she was told by her Doc that the best exercise for recover is either Swimming or Cycling...

Sorry for rambling, but the bottom line is get proper treatment and don't try and rush recovery, it takes time...good luck!!

4. nomotornozen

nomotornozen New Member

The heat or the rain and winds usual get my team members, but our event is held in the hotter part of the summer up here. And we all need to sit down and rest sometime before the night is through!

Disc injuries are pretty common, and most respond well to care if you're seeing the right kind of doc. Follow their advice, and you should be feeling better before you know it.