Overheating While In The Gym

Graham_DNF

Jul 31, 2005
Hey everyone,

I am back at University and no longer have my road bike with me (no safe place to keep it). So, I am training in the gym on the stationaries. I find, however, that my joints and body are overheating while I am in the gym. Yesterday I found it to be particularly bad. After about 30 minutes, my knees felt so hot I was pretty much forced to stop. My question is, does anyone have any good tips for staying cool in the gym? I drink plenty of fluids (and I keep them quite cold), but is there anything else I can do? The gym is pretty old and crappy (it is the university gym and it is in a basement).

Anyway, thanks for your help in advance.

Graham

Graham_DNF said:
Hey everyone,

I am back at University and no longer have my road bike with me (no safe place to keep it). So, I am training in the gym on the stationaries. I find, however, that my joints and body are overheating while I am in the gym. Yesterday I found it to be particularly bad. After about 30 minutes, my knees felt so hot I was pretty much forced to stop. My question is, does anyone have any good tips for staying cool in the gym? I drink plenty of fluids (and I keep them quite cold), but is there anything else I can do? The gym is pretty old and crappy (it is the university gym and it is in a basement).

Anyway, thanks for your help in advance.

Graham
Overheating is a major problem while on stationary trainers, even in cool gyms, since there is no 15-20 mph (or higher) airsteam pulling heat from your body. Only thing I can suggest is finding a big fan, and positioning it for max airflow. Here in the US, low-priced 20" box fans are widely available. I've used one, and they make a big difference.

Without cooling airflow, you'll just have to accept the overheating. Your heart rate will be higher since a lot of blood has to be diverted to the skin for cooling. All you can do is work at a lower rate and when you're overheated, slow down or stop.