Overnight Bike Trips

gymyflipper

Aug 15, 2004
Hi,

I was just wondering if any of you have done any longer distance bike trips. I want to do one next summer from New Jersey to Wisconsin, or the other way around. Just curious if anybody has any suggestions on how to get started. How do you map your route? where did you stay? ect. Thanks so much!!

Meghan

The event I did was sponcered and they carried all our stuff, sleeping bags, tents and any extra stuff we wanted to take. Plus they also fed us and had the spots all set up to camp out when we got there. It was a three day ride and it was great. Good luck on your trip.

I have also done a self cantained ride once and we stayed at a motel. That ride was only 96 miles and we came back the next day.

Sounds like a good idea to first drive the route (after mapping) and check road conditions and shoulders (I drive every ride I make first...just cautious I guess). Now, I haven't done any cyclo-camping in years (I did those types of things in JR. High and HS...then found drugs girls and beer) but three or four day self-supported trips are fun if you have the right gear, a good deal of know-how in fixing your rig, and a lot of time. Panniers and the like would cost hundreds of dollars, and some stout tires and wheels (pretty sure touring wheels still have a lot more spokes and are thicker ie.28c) would only add to the dilemna- a better option, especially for the first time out, is to go credit card touring, and arrange to stay in hotels, motels or hostels (if you are young enough)...or campgrounds near restaurants or stores, we even stayed in old Presidion bunkers in San Fran once- that was a kick. These are just some suggestions top make the ride more fun.
Now the real strong suggestion, do not do a trip of that magnitude alone...always take a friend along.
I will do one again someday, when my wife is up too it (got her first rig at 30)- they are calling to me from my quickly dissapearing youth
Cheers, and good luck in your endeavor

Long road trips always seem a lot more intimidating than they really are. I have done many, mostly by myself. In all honesty, they just wouldn't have been the same if I had a friend along. I'm sure they would still be a gas, but just a different kind of experience. There is something really cool about just being out somewhere having to fend for yourself.

I usually buy maps beforehand & prepare to some extent as far as the route goes, but it never goes quite right anyway. I usually start my journey by just picking a spot on the map that's about as far as I want to go that day & can still make it in time to find a place to stay. Once I settle in for the night, I will make up my plan for the next day. Obviously try & travel as light as possible.

I did a great 1100 Mile / 12 Day solo trip from Glasgow, Scotland to The Orkney Islands in the Fall of 2002 that rocked. One of the best cycling experiences that I have ever had. I had my share of problems including flatting ALL my tubes one day, getting lost at the top of a mountain,running out of road & having to walk down the side of the mountain to try & find a road. 10 Mile walk into the next town - All in the pouring rain of course. But made for a absolutely great adventure. If you are interested pictures can be seen on my webshots page:
http://community.webshots.com/user/animalmuppet

I have also attached a picture of my rig as I set out on that 1100 Mile trip.Good luck in your journey & be safe out there....