Overreaching - Duration/Frequency ?

cbjesseeNH

Jun 10, 2005
I've been trying weeks with 4 days bike only, 1 day weights only, 1 day bike am/weights pm, 1 day rest (as per below). I think I've concluded that's too much.

Mon - Weights
Tue - Bike
Wed - Bike
Thur - Bike/Weights
Fri - Rest
Sat - Bike
Sun - Bike

If I change the 1 day bike/weights to 1 day weights only, should I bump the bike duration on these remain 4 bike days to compensate? Or should I just do less until I can do more? Age 47 and been biking for about 3mo now.

Hey not to be rude...

But I'm having parceling apart your week!. It seems like it's either an 8-day or 9-day week!

Catabolic_Jones said:
Hey not to be rude...

But I'm having [trouble] parceling apart your week!. It seems like it's either an 8-day or 9-day week!
Quite so! Edited above to stick to a standard 7-day week. Thanks for the catch.

cbjesseeNH said:
I've been trying weeks with 4 days bike only, 1 day weights only, 1 day bike am/weights pm, 1 day rest (as per below). I think I've concluded that's too much.

Mon - Weights
Tue - Bike
Wed - Bike
Thur - Bike/Weights
Fri - Rest
Sat - Bike
Sun - Bike

If I change the 1 day bike/weights to 1 day weights only, should I bump the bike duration on these remain 4 bike days to compensate? Or should I just do less until I can do more? Age 47 and been biking for about 3mo now.
What are your training goals?

cbjesseeNH said:

Mon - Weights
Tue - Bike
Wed - Bike
Thur - Bike/Weights
Fri - Rest
Sat - Bike
Sun - Bike

If I change the 1 day bike/weights to 1 day weights only, should I bump the bike duration on these remain 4 bike days to compensate?
It's really hard to make an assessment because...

1) we don't know your goals
2) you haven't stated how many miles or how long you ride
3) you haven't stated how intensely you ride (humping it or lollygagging around?)
4) you haven't stated how many sets and reps you do when lifting or how hard you go at it
5) what your diet is like
6) how much sleep you get a night
7) how active you are (stressful job or retired?)

Or should I just do less until I can do more?
More what? Cycling or lifting or both?

Sorry but the crystal ball is out being buffed and the Tarot cards are at the cleaners this week.

The doc has listed some good and relevant questions. But even if you provide us with those details, don't think it's possible to assess how the schedule is affecting you because overtraining involves your bodies response to the workload.

The classic symptoms of overtraining are such things as an elevated morning HR, poor sleep, fatigue, irritability, sore or "dead" legs, lack of desire to train, flat, sporatic or falling performance, and frequent low-level colds and infections. Also, I'd say if you suspect your overtraining, most likely you are.

Suggest you try dropping the bike/weights day, and instead take a second rest day somewhere in the week. Try it for 3-4 weeks and see how you feel. Also, would suggest no weight lifting for the legs during cycling season. Do some core and upper body weight training if you feel you need to, but I don't think it helps to tire your cycling legs in the gym with weights.

I guess if compiling said detail will be be of no use, I'll quit while ahead with the advice to date, thanks.