Oversize crankset/chainwheels

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Risto Varanka, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. Suppose you want high performance from a 20" rear wheel. Logically you need at least 63 teeth
    chainring. Maybe more with a fairing. Suppose you are into sprinting and want to beat the national
    record or something ;)

    How can you go about getting one? Is best way to go to webstore and separately order custom and
    standarad parts and put together a crankset yourself? Or can I just take a standard Shimano roadset
    and change the largest chainring? At least on Shimano parts you have asymmetrically shaped teeth to
    make shifting work better. Would it work smooth even if you have right form factor etc? How about
    large jumps, like 39 teeth ring to 65 teeth ring. Can it work at all, would you need a MTB front
    derailleur? I think Challenge Taifun has something like this, and maybe RANS.

  2. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Suppose you want high performance from a 20" rear wheel. Logically you need at least 63 teeth
    > chainring. Maybe more with a fairing. Suppose you are into sprinting and want to beat the national
    > record or something ;)

    An intermediate step-up drive could solve the problem rather elegantly :
    http://www.dalliegerad.com/shark.htm

    I'd go with that.

    Regards, Torben

  3. Alligt in Eindhoven advertise big rings - the Challenge Taifun I was prodding at the races yesterday
    had an Alligt-inscribed 65.

    http://www.alligt.nl/ - Tandwielen.

    For much filthy lucre, Highpath in Wales will machine any size you want.

    http://www.argonet.co.uk/highpath/cycle_/eggs.htm

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  4. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

  5. U know everytime U time you park this, you'll have people asking more about the massive mid-drive
    than any other part of the trike. Apart from the added weight a Chromed Cowl over it might be cool
    for that Retro-Hog look especially if you do the frame in a purple Metal Flake (Hamster optional).
    ----------------------------------
    news:[email protected]...

  6. rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:
    : For a bit more flexibility: http://pictures.care2.com/view/2/733339897

    With such close distance, I'd think there would be chainline problems? Could sacrifice some
    performance and durability :(

    Would work better if the other cassette was rotated 180 degrees lateral :) But the derailleur would
    have to work in reverse. Hello Shimano, are you listening? ;p

  7. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:
    >: For a bit more flexibility: http://pictures.care2.com/view/2/733339897
    >
    > With such close distance, I'd think there would be chainline problems? Could sacrifice some
    > performance and durability :(
    >
    > Would work better if the other cassette was rotated 180 degrees lateral :) But the derailleur
    > would have to work in reverse. Hello Shimano, are you listening? ;p

    The distance between cassettes is approximately that of an ordinary DF bike, so chain angles are no
    worse than for what it was designed. I'm sure there is some more friction because of TWO separate
    chain systems. Primarily, this was an engineering challenge for me, and I've managed to do it (~:
    Also, I placed the mid-drive shaft so that it doubles as the rear suspension pivot. This de-couples
    any pedalling action and suspension movement. It does nothing to neutralize the movement of
    mass(legs) from giving suspension movement, but that has been no problem so far.

    rorschandt

  8. rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:
    : The distance between cassettes is approximately that of an ordinary DF bike, so chain angles are
    : no worse than for what it was designed. I'm sure

    Would think rear cassettes are wider than front ringsets :-/ Also the most useful gears come from
    the most extreme chainlines.

  9. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:
    >: The distance between cassettes is approximately that of an ordinary DF bike, so chain angles are
    >: no worse than for what it was designed. I'm sure
    >
    > Would think rear cassettes are wider than front ringsets :-/ Also the most useful gears come from
    > the most extreme chainlines.

    I think you may misunderstand how it works, as in the pics there are no chains.The front cassette is
    offset from the rear cassette,has a chainring on the back of it, which is connected by chain to the
    rear cassette. The front cassette is driven by a chain coming from the front of the trike. Each
    individual cassette and derailleur operates exactly as it would on a bike with only one cassette.
    Individual chainlines are as they would be on a bike with only one chainring. Check the website for
    new pictures. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287

    rorschandt

  10. David

    David Guest

    > I think you may misunderstand how it works, as in the pics there are no chains.The front cassette
    > is offset from the rear cassette,has a chainring on the back of it, which is connected by chain to
    > the rear cassette. The front cassette is driven by a chain coming from the front of the trike.
    > Each individual cassette and derailleur operates exactly as it would on a bike with only one
    > cassette. Individual chainlines are as they would be on a bike with only one chainring. Check the
    > website for new pictures. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287
    >
    > rorschandt

    This is very ingenious...I was having a bash at working out the gear range. I came up with (assuming
    2 x 11-32 cassettes and 2 x 22 drive rings, one on the boom and one on the back of the mid drive
    cassette) a range of 6" - 150". Is this correct? If it is, this is an excellnt way to solve the
    small drive wheel problem. The low gear will be very useful on a trike. How is the chainring
    attached to the back of the midrive cassette? Are you using two 9sp bar end shifters, I would be
    interested to know as I think I may be able to add a bolt on midrive myself...TIA David

  11. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Subject: Re: Oversize crankset/chainwheels Newsgroups:
    newscache3.freenet.de:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent To: David <[email protected]>

    On 10 Apr 2003, you wrote in alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent:

    >> I think you may misunderstand how it works, as in the pics there are no chains.The front cassette
    >> is offset from the rear cassette,has a chainring on the back of it, which is connected by chain
    >> to the rear cassette. The front cassette is driven by a chain coming from the front of the trike.
    >> Each individual cassette and derailleur operates exactly as it would on a bike with only one
    >> cassette. Individual chainlines are as they would be on a bike with only one chainring. Check the
    >> website for new pictures. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287
    >>
    >> rorschandt
    >
    > This is very ingenious...I was having a bash at working out the gear range. I came up with
    > (assuming 2 x 11-32 cassettes and 2 x 22 drive rings, one on the boom and one on the back of the
    > mid drive cassette) a range of 6" - 150". Is this correct? If it is, this is an excellnt way to
    > solve the small drive wheel problem. The low gear will be very useful on a trike. How is the
    > chainring attached to the back of the midrive cassette? Are you using two 9sp bar end shifters, I
    > would be interested to know as I think I may be able to add a bolt on midrive myself...TIA David

    Hello, Yes, both units are 11-32.Try http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/gearinches.asp I brazed a
    steel plate to the rear of a cassette body, and machined some inserts for the cassette body to
    accept some cartridge bearings. As I recall, the gear inch range is 14 to 123 or something like
    that. I'm using a 22th ring at the back and 34th at the crank. I could also use a front derailleur,
    total 3 shifters, a potential of 243 combinations!...The shifters used are a regular set of Shimano
    9spd bar-ends. The "left side shifter" will move a rear derailleur thru the complete range, it
    merely is not indexed. It is a bit confusing to shift at first because both shifters run the
    derailleurs identically. "Now I just shifted that one into the second smallest gear...wait, that was
    the OTHER derailleur..."