Oversized bars on roof rack?

Trigurl

Jul 29, 2003
Anyone ever use longer than recommended load bars on an Acura Integra 3 door/hatchback? I am looking to carry 3 bikes and a kayak across the country and I don't think I can fit it with my 48" bars. I am sure it will fit with 58" bars but I am worried about putting that long of bars on my roof when it only attaches on 2 doors. I have a Yakima system.

Any suggestions would help! Thanks!

Trigurl said:
Anyone ever use longer than recommended load bars on an Acura Integra 3 door/hatchback? I am looking to carry 3 bikes and a kayak across the country and I don't think I can fit it with my 48" bars. I am sure it will fit with 58" bars but I am worried about putting that long of bars on my roof when it only attaches on 2 doors. I have a Yakima system.

I think it is too much load for your vehicle.
Longer load bars would allow you to get it all up there, but the wind load, weight, and torque would not be safe and stable for a long trip.
The additional bar length would likely make it more difficult to get in and out of the vehicle.
I would consider taking wheels & pedals... and possibly the chains off the bicycles and seeing if I could get them in the car along with whatever else you are traveling with. I know it makes for a crowed vehicle, but you get the weight and windload off the roof. I know it also make impromptu rides a little more challenging along the road.

+1. You might look into shipping the kayak and one of the bikes by a common carrier like UPS or Fed Ex. To be safe, over protect these items when you package them up. A bike shop can pack the bike correctly and a boat shop can probably do the same for the kayak.

One other possibility is renting a small U-Haul trailer and a bumper hitch(if there still is such a thing).

Trigurl said:

I'm with these guys. Check the manufacturer's specs on the roof weight limits. Like most, they limit it to 100lbs. (45.35Kilos). I think the weight limit is due to the sheer strength of the screws tapped to the sheet metal, not the actual weight of what you put on there. Wind is your biggest enemy.