Oversized helmets

lycomedes

Nov 30, 2007
Hi all,

My dad has been thinking about getting into a bit of cycling to keep fit, etc. The problem he has is that the size of his head is 68cm! Anybody got any suggestions about finding a helmet that will fit such a gigantic cranium?

He lives in Brisbane, Australia by the way, but obviously happy to import if we can find a way to get a helmet that big.

lycomedes said:
Hi all,

My dad has been thinking about getting into a bit of cycling to keep fit, etc. The problem he has is that the size of his head is 68cm! Anybody got any suggestions about finding a helmet that will fit such a gigantic cranium?

He lives in Brisbane, Australia by the way, but obviously happy to import if we can find a way to get a helmet that big.

http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=23

Finally a good looking helmet for the extra large of head!
Model is Triton

lycomedes said:
Hi all,

Importing might help if it fits, but it won't be legal on Australian roads without the AU Standards sticker.

Met have two helmets imported into Australia that are quoted up to 64cm which may fit (Testagrossa, and Predatore), but you'll have to test them out obviously.

Importer is www.cassons.com.au If nothing else, try contacting them or other importers to see if they can help.

HTH,

n

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'll mention them to my dad, but I suspect that since the models mentioned only go up to 64 or 65cm, they might not cut it (his head is apparently 68cm).

Does anybody have any other ideas? Is it possible to get helmets custom made to suit larger sizes?

lycomedes said:
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'll mention them to my dad, but I suspect that since the models mentioned only go up to 64 or 65cm, they might not cut it (his head is apparently 68cm).

Does anybody have any other ideas? Is it possible to get helmets custom made to suit larger sizes?

Don't know if it is available in AU, but Vigor brand makes one that fits up to 66cm. Maybe something like that or the Bell Kinghead can go a bit larger by removing some of the sizing materials/pads. As long as the shell and retention harness are not altered, the protection should be preserved.

jojoma said:
I have a massive melon myself and found the Bell Alchera to be great.
For everybody's information, an Alchera is an Influx without the visor. A decent helmet that probably runs large. I get my dome into a medium.

Just noticed your post on the helmet. Looking for one myself in the same size, did you find one?

Originally Posted by lycomedes .

Wow, this is quite an old thread. Unfortunately no, we never did find one to suit.
What's more amazing is that you're still around and checking the thread, but only have 3 posts to your name. So, for the obvious question....do you ride without a helmet?

I have exactly a 68cm dome. (US size 8 1/2) I have worn the Bell King Head series for years. Currently the Triton is the best. It could be slightly larger however. I have even asked manufactures if they would make a special one for me and they all said no. BTW the King Head series has motorcycle and car hemets in large as well.