Overtraining ... what happens afterwards?

RobM

Aug 2, 2006
Hi all,

I was interested in whether anyone knows of what the longer-term effects of a case of overtraining are once full recovery is achieved?

For example, whether (for example) there is a limiter placed on one's long-term ability, or whether the stresses that have been placed on the body allow one a better chance of reaching a higher peak afterwards (not that I'm saying that overtraining is a good thing!!), no real impact, etc. Thanks in advance.

Loss of enthusiasm as a result of overtraining can be the most dangerous side-effect. Once physical recovery is complete, which can take weeks or even months, it's hard or even impossible to jump back into a demanding training routine if you're not mentally ready. How long it could take to regain enthusiasm depends on many factors. It took me over 20 years.

What is the definition of "over-training". Is it personal perception on how you feel or is there actually a physical state which one has to deal with?

I've felt like caca after 2 back to back 40 mile rides through the hill country here in Austin, but a day or 2 off takes care of that and I'm ready to get back on the bike.

Are we talking about 20 days of the same thing followed by a reluctance to even look at a bike or a decrease in performance that doesn't get any better after 2 days off?

Ergoman said:
Loss of enthusiasm as a result of overtraining can be the most dangerous side-effect. Once physical recovery is complete, which can take weeks or even months, it's hard or even impossible to jump back into a demanding training routine if you're not mentally ready. How long it could take to regain enthusiasm depends on many factors. It took me over 20 years.

Enthusiasm to train or live?

The reason you were overtrained was because you probably didn't train hard enough in the first place.

Train harder, hav fund.

Austin Flyer - Overtraining is not something that happens as a result of two 40 mile rides. At the level where overtraining is likely to occur, that type of rides might be considered easy days. Overtraining is a cumulative thing that occurs, usually after years of diligent training and serious racing. It's also not something that can be cured with a rest day or two.

Zaskar - You're an idiot.

Spunout - Overtraining may result from not training intelligently, but it's never the result of not training hard enough in the first place. In fact, overtraining is usually the result of obsessively training too hard for too long. Training harder, if the individual even finds that possible, will only result in further deterioration.

Ergoman said:
Zaskar - You're an idiot.

I'm serious because you say enthusiasm one of the most dangerous side affects. I never thought of enthusiasm as dangerous.

Well MFITA to you then.

Just dont leave out recovery as part of your training program. Alot of people get so wrapped up in training that they forget to recover, wich is just as important.

cdy291 said:
Just dont leave out recovery as part of your training program. Alot of people get so wrapped up in training that they forget to recover, wich is just as important.

I took 5 months off after last season. I raced all summer with little base miles.

Then it sounds like you just didn't train enough when you needed to. Those slow base miles a very important becuase they give you something to build off of when its time to turn up the screws in late feburary. You just tried to do to much to soon. As a racer you shouldn't take 5 months off, unless its like a injury or something were you have to. But I guess thats easy for me to says since I live in a place where it stays wam enough year around that if you have got good warm clothes you can ride.

zaskar said:
I'm serious because you say enthusiasm one of the most dangerous side affects. I never thought of enthusiasm as dangerous.

Well MFITA to you then.

I wrote "loss of enthusiasm". You need to work on your reading comprehension as well.

Ergoman said:
I wrote "loss of enthusiasm". You need to work on your reading comprehension as well.

How is "loss of enthusiasm dangerous"? loss of enthusiasm for what, to live, train, eat ,breath, go fly a kite??? Is depression the word you are looking for Ego man.

This seems to be a heated topic with a wide range of prespectives. This leads me to conclude that only the individual rider can define for themselves a state of being over-trained.

o·ver·trained, o·ver·train·ing, o·ver·trains Sports

v. tr.
To train too much: a coach who overtrained the athletes before the championship.

v. intr.
To engage in excessive training: a boxer who overtrained.

Lance Armstrong overtrained ever so slightly in 03, and it only had minor impacts performance wise, put in the tour it was dramatic.

Afterwards, you notice being easily fatiqued, after short rides and low heart rates. In Zone 2, I would get passed by people commuting home on their bikes, even just last week after 4 weeks of base miles. Loss of fitness changes your body and your emotions. Not many people go from a 100 mile race to couch potato for 5 months. I felt incredibly lazy, it got hard just getting up the steps. This also affects your perceived condition. When it snows up to your front door handle that is not :cool: Once the weather got warm and sunny though, I was right back like nothing happened. :)