Overweight and New to Cycling

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by mason1991, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mason1991

mason1991 New Member

Hey guys, as the title says, im new to cycling and im a bit over weight (268 pounds to be exact), and im looking at starting to cycle to work in order to get some exercise. Now the journey is only 3.2 miles but its quite hilly, to the point where i wouldn't be able to make it without being a sweaty breathless mess when i get there. what i want to know is what sort of bikes should i be looking at in order to make my journey a bit easier for me. i know its still going to be tough but anything that can make the trip less tiring would be a help. my maximum budget would be £500 ($800). Thanks in advance.

P.S, i know nothing/very little about bikes

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

You're best be would likely be a hybrid bike. Hybrids are sort of a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike, although they lean toward the road bike side more. They tend to have a much more upright riding position that road bikes. They also tend to have lower gearing than most road bikes, and that makes it easier for the less experienced or those that are less fit to get up hills. Hybrids typically come with tires suited for the road or gravel trails which means they'll roll easier on pavement than the typical mountain bike with knobby tires. I'd suggest you to a bike shop or two.....or three....to see what they have in stock and to get some test rides on different bikes. Be honest with them about your abilities, conditioning, and what you're looking for in a bike. They should point toward something that meets your needss.

steve likes this.
  3. Bozidar

Bozidar New Member

Look for a hybrid with a fixed fork (no suspension) so you can attach a basket in front to carry stuff to work. Also, the fixed fork is cheaper than suspension fork. For reducing weight, I managed to take off 50lbs by combining diet and cycling over 2 years, and am cycling regularly.
    I can offer this advice: Don't give up, the first time I started cycling i could barely go through 5 miles on flat road

4. go4sporting

go4sporting New Member

I don't know what't had you bought,but I advice you can go "www.go4sporting.com“to see

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Nah, nothing at that site is worth buying. It's run by spammers anyway.

6. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. I don't want to dissuade you from cycling, but while you may not think it to be so, 3.2 miles is not an unreasonable walking distance ...

For your consideration ...

This weekend (presuming that you already have appropriate shoes), pack a small snack/(apple, or banana, or granola bar, or sandwich, or __?__) & a thermos-or-water-bottle, and walk to your work place at a moderately brisk, but not uncomfortable pace. It may take you about an hour (+).

Check the elapsed time, relax (sit down if a nearby "bench" is available), have your snack & take a sip of whatever beverage your brought.

Either rest, or head home.

Again, it will probably take you about an hour.

Now, an hour may seem like more time than you want to spend to get to-and-from work, but when you subtract the amount of time needed to arrange the additional clothes, to trundle to the street with the bike, to lock the bike, to rinse off + to change your clothes, then the additional time difference from riding is smaller.

I think that it would be very beneficial if you will be able to borrow a bike for one, "test" trip so that you can compare the feasibility of cycling vs. walking BEFORE you pony up for a bike to commute to work with.

Allow £20-to-£50 for an inexpensive, comfortable pair of "athletic" shoes (plus, socks) to wear.

7. Cycle Drama

Cycle Drama New Member

mason1991,
    While I may not have the experience of others on this thread....I would say do not give up entirely on the purchase of a bike. I am an older guy who happens to be close to your weight and have been biking for a few years. To me it is the best way to get out and exercise while enjoying some great scenery. I have lost a few pounds over the past years and continue to increase my distance and speed. I just purchased my third bike (a road bike) so I can do a 150 mile trip this summer and I go to the gym in the winter months to keep my conditioning to a point where I don't feel like I am starting over every spring. With all the new equipment out there you can pick up a pretty good rig in the dollar range you are at.

As others have posted, do not be afraid to try a lot of different bikes with different setups until you find the one you like most. I found that even though I purchased a bike that fits me best, I still went back and added some accessories to get it closer to my comfort and liking. Either way good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks,
    John S

8. Kevin Tidemand

Kevin Tidemand New Member

I like REI's buzz. It's a good hybrid. I recommend you invest in a heart rate monitor if you don't already have to help quantify your exertion. Keep riding.

9. RonSwanson

RonSwanson New Member

Hybrids are the best for your weight. Don't give up, keep trying if you feel like you should quit. It could take time, but you'll get there. Make sure to get some comfortable clothes, too.