Overweight Persons and Bicycling, fitness

ptlwp

Oct 6, 2005
I think I like this title a little better. Not quite as uncouth as the prior thread.

All I am going to say is that our culture has bred a monster because of the enormous portions and lack of portion control, TV watching and seeing ads for snacks, and a sedentary lifestyle.

I am not that overweight but I don't want to increase my chances of getting something like, say, diabetes, so I have taken up cycling.

Not everyone can just go out and get a decent bike, of course, walking is free for everyone, if you make sure you find the time. There are people who don't care but plenty more who are sorry for how they let themselves get out of shape.

I used to be underweight when I was younger and and my metabolism hadn't fallen by 2% each year, without making adjustments for that....in fact, making things worse.

The government's food pyramid is also pretty screwed up.

anyway, happy bicycling

ptlwp

Day by day - piece by piece.
It's the only way to get fitter and to ensure that you lose weight in a controlled way.

I've seen this before.
Your sitting around with friends and cycling comes in to the discussion about a long distance event and the person who does no exercise pipes up and says
"I wish i could do that but..............."

I've heard this three times and in each case, those three people have managed to complete a 200km ride (100km on two successive days) and have lost weight
and have managed to retain their interest in cycling/sport/exercise.

Of course in each case they started from less than scratch - two of them didn't even have a bike !
The first lesson for them - was to move, start walking.
Half hour each day....every day.

Slowly they started to get their system accustomed to moving and breathing
and gently working.
Then they purchased bikes - nothing fancy mind - and slowly started to pedal
and gradually built up their mileage.

It wasn't easy.
It wasn't pretty either.
But we kept plugging away at these people - calling for them every weekend
and insisting that they get out on the bike, hail rain sleet snow.
Sore **** for cycling - we made them continue.
Sore thighs from lactate - we made them continue.

Yep, climbing the Dublin mountains in shite weather is a lot tougher than watching TV or going to the pub/restaurant but by fcuk we stayed with them
week in, week out.

Come the day of the event they did it - 100km one day, followed by the 100kms back.
At times they wanted to pack, at times I felt like throttling them.
But to see their expressions as they passed that finish line : relief, tiredness but exhiloration.
It made it all worth it.

That's what the bike games all about.
Little targets, getting over that hill, staying out a little bit longer, pedalling a little bit quicker.
That's why we do it : the weight loss and the better physique are a by product to all that.

Embrace the bike - it will be your best friend and it will repay your efforts.

ptlwp said:
I think I like this title a little better. Not quite as uncouth as the prior thread.

All I am going to say is that our culture has bred a monster because of the enormous portions and lack of portion control, TV watching and seeing ads for snacks, and a sedentary lifestyle.

I am not that overweight but I don't want to increase my chances of getting something like, say, diabetes, so I have taken up cycling.

Not everyone can just go out and get a decent bike, of course, walking is free for everyone, if you make sure you find the time. There are people who don't care but plenty more who are sorry for how they let themselves get out of shape.

I used to be underweight when I was younger and and my metabolism hadn't fallen by 2% each year, without making adjustments for that....in fact, making things worse.

The government's food pyramid is also pretty screwed up.

anyway, happy bicycling

ptlwp
Since we all have to go places and we all need exercise,with a little bit of planning we can combine the two and save on fuel as well.
As for having a "decent" bike - millions of Chinese get around on sturdy practical bikes that cost less than a pizza.
You're quite right about the pressures on people through advertising.I guess we all have to understand that the world is full of people who really don't have our best interests at heart.Still,we make choices and as you have chosen to join the international community of cyclists,congratulations and welcome!

stevebaby said:
Since we all have to go places and we all need exercise,with a little bit of planning we can combine the two and save on fuel as well.
As for having a "decent" bike - millions of Chinese get around on sturdy practical bikes that cost less than a pizza.
You're quite right about the pressures on people through advertising.I guess we all have to understand that the world is full of people who really don't have our best interests at heart.Still,we make choices and as you have chosen to join the international community of cyclists,congratulations and welcome!
Thank you; all I need to get now, is a lock for my bicycle and I can go do lots of errands with my bike, save fuel and get excercise. Besides that anyway, I enjoy it...just like they say..do something you enjoy and you won't have a problem with keeping with the program. I am working up my strength day by day..I had a 10 speed racer when I was a kid. That was the thing then..this is now and I have a Trek 7100, 2006 model and it suits me perfectly for my age, condition and so forth.

Once again, Thanx

ptlwp

It's funny, but most of my neighbors are overweight. (Ya, I'm a 'Murkin :rolleyes:) I've only ever seen one person on the whole street on a bicycle.

When I go out for a ride which is pretty much every day, some of them will wave and others look at me like I'm wearing 3 heads. I get the feeling it's like: "That weirdo up the street rides a bike all the time! Why doesn't he 'grow up' and get lazy like us?!"

LOL!

However, there is an elderly couple that rides past almost every single day, good weather and not so good, on their old Nishiki steel touring bikes, complete with panniers, lights, fenders - the works. They must be in their 70's. I swear they get more miles on than I do!

Wurm said:
It's funny, but most of my neighbors are overweight. (Ya, I'm a 'Murkin :rolleyes:) I've only ever seen one person on the whole street on a bicycle.

When I go out for a ride which is pretty much every day, some of them will wave and others look at me like I'm wearing 3 heads. I get the feeling it's like: "That weirdo up the street rides a bike all the time! Why doesn't he 'grow up' and get lazy like us?!"

LOL!

However, there is an elderly couple that rides past almost every single day, good weather and not so good, on their old Nishiki steel touring bikes, complete with panniers, lights, fenders - the works. They must be in their 70's. I swear they get more miles on than I do!

I see quite a few elderly people who use bikes to commute to the corner shop
and maybe to the local church.
They cycle those big black bikes (known in this part of the world as "high nellies").
They've probably cycled all their lives too.

Man, are you kidding?! I can't imagine seeing older folks (or anyone for that matter) commuting anywhere around here on a regular basis. Oh no, that just wouldn't do!

Mostly it's just kids in the summer out on bikes (of course). Otherwise, besides 'cycling geeks' like us, the most common on bikes are the poor bums that collect huge bags of recyclables for a living. :(

'Murka is NOT very cycling conscious, I'll say that.

Wurm said:
Man, are you kidding?! I can't imagine seeing older folks (or anyone for that matter) commuting anywhere around here on a regular basis. Oh no, that just wouldn't do!

Mostly it's just kids in the summer out on bikes (of course). Otherwise, besides 'cycling geeks' like us, the most common on bikes are the poor bums that collect huge bags of recyclables for a living. :(

'Murka is NOT very cycling conscious, I'll say that.
Hi. Around here you see bicyclers all the time; however, I live in a very congested area and have to take the backroads for now. I don't feel comfortable yet taking Route 70 and so forth...the cars whiz by like they think they are on the autobahn.

Anyway, Saturday I took a good spill, as my legs are not as strong as my spirit. I got distracted by the noise as I was going over an overpass I 295. Now my bike is in the shop for assorted adjustments and fixes. My husband and son took the bike in.

He said they didn't laugh at all when they took my bike to D&Q for fixing.....I'll get the bike back on Wednesday.

I just have a couple of hematomas and scrapes, but my pride is more injured, than anything.

Peace,

ptlwp

ptlwp,

Staying on the backroads and avoiding the heavy traffic is the best way to go. Hope you heal soon, and too bad about your bike.

I had an accident back in August. A car turned right across my path and I ran straight into the front door. Wrecked my right-side lever and handlebar :( , but I left a big dent in the side of the car. :) I got a little road rash but nothing major. Could have been a lot worse!

Impatience is another factor in weight loss. If an individual does not lose the amount of weight they perceive they should lose in a given amount of time they become impatient and discouraged.
We are a society that is taught impatience from birth and of course believe that the whole universe can be saved in two hours, and that's with commercial interruptions.
Patience is part of a healthy life syle and one of the hardest mindsets to achieve.

jhuskey said:
We are a society that is taught impatience from birth and of course believe that the whole universe can be saved in two hours, and that's with commercial interruptions.
LOL! Ain't it the truth.

Wurm said:
ptlwp,

Staying on the backroads and avoiding the heavy traffic is the best way to go. Hope you heal soon, and too bad about your bike.

I had an accident back in August. A car turned right across my path and I ran straight into the front door. Wrecked my right-side lever and handlebar :( , but I left a big dent in the side of the car. :) I got a little road rash but nothing major. Could have been a lot worse!
Thanx, I'm really okay. Wonder what $$$ its' gonna cost to fix the bike? I've got no idea, BUT, this isn't a Maserati we are talking about, after all, eh?

ptlwp

jhuskey said:
Impatience is another factor in weight loss. If an individual does not lose the amount of weight they perceive they should lose in a given amount of time they become impatient and discouraged.
Patience is part of a healthy life syle and one of the hardest mindsets to achieve.
This is quite true, we have become such a 24/7 society that impatience, seemingly is a virtue!!! But along with the "immortal paradox" that it never goes away, and always remains a puzzle, shall always follow me down.

I have not been cycling long. Just about a year. in that time I have gone from 22 stone (139 kilograms) Down to 18 stone (114 kg) And still the weight is falling off me. Stopped eating Fast food, Bread ,Spuds, fizzy drinks. Lots of greens and fruit. Few treats are aloud.Starting off was hard, but its getting ur self out there, Once your on the bike, rain or shine you don't want to get off the thing. Like every thing it does take time. but in time you will not believe what you can get done. 10k was alot to me. As it would be for any new to cycling. But its not even a warm up run for me. Last summer I did a cycle from Dublin to Shannonbridge and back on my own. Round trip of 312k. Over two days. Week later I did Dublin to Gorey and back 264k in the day.(To be fair the bike was nearly going in2 the river. I hurt so much lol) . But the feeling you get when you do some thing like this. You prove to your self That theirs no such thing as can't till you try.Im not on any fancy racer. I use a hardrock mtb. So its not the best thing for long trips.But hey I do it again. lol So when you feel like giving up and you got that hill to finish. Dig deep and tell your self you can do it. Better to try and fail then not to have tryed.Just don't rush your self. Use the force lol . Enough of my going's on, The more time on the bike the more you will improve.