overweight

shane_riddell

Aug 30, 2009
I am new here and just wanting to let you know what I am doing and what my expectations are. So I am 40 years old and have not ridden my bike in about 10 years and have gained some weight. I am 5'3 inches tall and now I am finding myself at a weight of about 190 lbs. (yes i am shocked I have done this to myself) I decided the other day its time to start riding again. My bike is in the shop getting tuned up and will be out in a few days. My goal is to take off atleast 50 lbs and hopefully more. In college when i was ridding alot my weight was around 120 lbs, don't know if I will ever be that again but who know. Once I get some miles under my belt and in more physical shape I believe the weight will come offf pretty quickly. I live in East Tennessee close to the North Carolina boarder its a mountainous area and there are numerous climbs up to well over 5000 ft. Beech Mountain (historic climb in U.S. cycling) is about 50 miles from my house, I just wonder how long it will be until I think I am up to climbing Beech again. Anyway wish me luck. I may even post some before and after pictures of the weight loss and how long it took.

shane_riddell said:
I am new here and just wanting to let you know what I am doing and what my expectations are. So I am 40 years old and have not ridden my bike in about 10 years and have gained some weight. I am 5'3 inches tall and now I am finding myself at a weight of about 190 lbs. (yes i am shocked I have done this to myself) I decided the other day its time to start riding again. My bike is in the shop getting tuned up and will be out in a few days. My goal is to take off atleast 50 lbs and hopefully more. In college when i was ridding alot my weight was around 120 lbs, don't know if I will ever be that again but who know. Once I get some miles under my belt and in more physical shape I believe the weight will come offf pretty quickly. I live in East Tennessee close to the North Carolina boarder its a mountainous area and there are numerous climbs up to well over 5000 ft. Beech Mountain (historic climb in U.S. cycling) is about 50 miles from my house, I just wonder how long it will be until I think I am up to climbing Beech again. Anyway wish me luck. I may even post some before and after pictures of the weight loss and how long it took.

Have at it, and good luck.

Good luck and have fun! I think cycling is the most enjoyable way to get in shape.

shane_riddell said:

Sounds like you are my neighbor. I can tell you that I had knee surgery last winter and could not ride for some time but gained no weight because of lowering intake of calories.
BTW: Are you in the Gatlinburg area?

Good luck, and don't be discouraged if the weight doesn't come off quite as quickly as you anticipate it will.

jhuskey said:
Sounds like you are my neighbor. I can tell you that I had knee surgery last winter and could not ride for some time but gained no weight because of lowering intake of calories.
BTW: Are you in the Gatlinburg area?

Im in Jonesborough, about 60 miles northeast of Gatlinburg. The wife and I are in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area usually about once a month on average. Have u ever stayed at the Christmas Inn? We love that place and will go down there in the off season and stay when the rates are affordable. Same way with the Beaches we always go during the off season.

shane_riddell said:
Im in Jonesborough, about 60 miles northeast of Gatlinburg. The wife and I are in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area usually about once a month on average. Have u ever stayed at the Christmas Inn? We love that place and will go down there in the off season and stay when the rates are affordable. Same way with the Beaches we always go during the off season.

No, but I have meetings there sometimes and I know the GM there quite well.
I agree on the off season we visit St. Simons Ga. in the off season.

shane_riddell said:

Good luck with that.

In terms of seeting out on your programme of weightloss/fitness retention, you need to remember that sustained weightloss/fitness retention is achieved through small steps.

If you can, try to maintain a steady routine of riding regularly (every day if possible - or every second day at least).
Try to build up your mileage gradually and increase the load incrementally.
but you know all of this as an ex-rider.

limerickman said:
Good luck with that.

In terms of seeting out on your programme of weightloss/fitness retention, you need to remember that sustained weightloss/fitness retention is achieved through small steps.

If you can, try to maintain a steady routine of riding regularly (every day if possible - or every second day at least).
Try to build up your mileage gradually and increase the load incrementally.
but you know all of this as an ex-rider.

Yeah my bike is supposed to be ready on Thursday or Friday. I plan on an easy 20 to 30 minute ride the first day, well actually that for atleast the first week then start to increase it weekly. I know i can get back into it, it will just take awhile.

Good luck! I Was in a similar boat 6 months ago - 5'7" and 210! Have lost 20 lbs, probably 25 of fat as I have gained some serious muscle in the meantime - much obviously in my legs. Started by doing spin classes 2x during the week and riding 40-50 miles on the weekends. Worked up to 50-100 on weekends with a run thrown in there. Still losing about 3 lbs a month. Average speed has shot up as well.

I would recommend focusing on eating better - will make everyting alot easier. Also use a heart rate monitor - helps to keep you from going over the edge, which can be deadly when out of shape.

Again, good luck!

Cormac Kehoe said:
Good luck! I Was in a similar boat 6 months ago - 5'7" and 210! Have lost 20 lbs, probably 25 of fat as I have gained some serious muscle in the meantime - much obviously in my legs. Started by doing spin classes 2x during the week and riding 40-50 miles on the weekends. Worked up to 50-100 on weekends with a run thrown in there. Still losing about 3 lbs a month. Average speed has shot up as well.

I would recommend focusing on eating better - will make everyting alot easier. Also use a heart rate monitor - helps to keep you from going over the edge, which can be deadly when out of shape.

Again, good luck!

It sounds like you've got the program down, Cormac. Good for you! :)

That's a good reminder for folks trying lose weight that the muscle they gain may make it appear that they aren't losing as much weight as they think they should be for the effort they're putting into it.

Sometimes a tape measure around the waist is a better indicator than the bathroom scales.

At 40 nutrition is going to play a more significant role in attaining your goal than exercise alone. Calories in/ calories out isn't going to be enough. Types of calories are most important. Avoid empty calories, hidden calories and "dead carbs". Low glycemic index and most importantly low glycemic load carbs with plenty of protein and healthy fat.

Resistance training will add muscle. The more muscle you carry the more efficiently you will lose bodyfat. Like was said above, losing bodyfat is more important than losing weight. Scales lie, bodyfat percentages don't.

Good Journey!

Well, been riding for a week now. Was on the bike 40 minutes today. Not keeping track of miles or speed yet. Just getting the body used to being physical and being on the bike. Wow, I can really tell how out of shape I am. I know the mirror doesnt lie but sometimes we lie to ourselves. I guess i had convinced myself that because I used to ride 250 miles per week that I could just get back on the bike and have no problems. The hills I used to sprint up are now kicking my butt. I can hardly turn the crank over, and my legs are totally shot. Can't keep up the speed on the flats either. I know it will come back but its going to be a long journey. I am going to have to ride through the winter if I want to be in any type of shape come next riding season. Going on vacation next week and wont be taking the bike, the hotel has an exercise room so hopefully they will have a stationary bike so what little endurance i have gained this week wont be lost.

It's been said that the toughest part is getting started. Congrats, you are on your way.

shane_riddell said:
Well, been riding for a week now. Was on the bike 40 minutes today. Not keeping track of miles or speed yet. Just getting the body used to being physical and being on the bike. Wow, I can really tell how out of shape I am. I know the mirror doesnt lie but sometimes we lie to ourselves. I guess i had convinced myself that because I used to ride 250 miles per week that I could just get back on the bike and have no problems. The hills I used to sprint up are now kicking my butt. I can hardly turn the crank over, and my legs are totally shot. Can't keep up the speed on the flats either. I know it will come back but its going to be a long journey. I am going to have to ride through the winter if I want to be in any type of shape come next riding season. Going on vacation next week and wont be taking the bike, the hotel has an exercise room so hopefully they will have a stationary bike so what little endurance i have gained this week wont be lost.

Shane, that sounds like a good plan to follow.

I went through the same deal about 6 years ago, and I didn't see much improvement for the first couple of weeks.

It almost seemed like my body was fighting against losing weight and getting back in shape.

But, after a couple of weeks I started feeling stronger and started seeing improvements in average mph on the bike computer, pants weren't so tight around the waist, etc.

Hang in there, you're doing good! :cool:

shane_riddell said:

Keep at it and things will get better. They say the hardest part can be just getting on the bike but I think the person who thought that only made it to the end of the street and never rode of a effing big hill. :p Sometimes you will remember how fast you used to ride and you have to face the fact that you aint going to be getting there any time soon but if you keep riding consitently it'll get better over time.