Owners Manual for Colnago Dream Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Adams

I recently purchased a very nice Colnago Dream Plus, which I've been putting some high mileage on
over the past few weeks. Now that I've gained some familiarity with it I'm lining up the few things
I wish to change. As it didn't come with any owners manual I was wondering if there's any such thing
for the frame. Most of the Campy gruppo I can get info straight from Campy, but I don't know
anything about sizes and threading on this (my first italian bike.) i.e. I've seen mention of
English threading on BB's and wonder what this means.

As it arrived:
+ 2002 Colnago Dream Plus frame, Flash Fork
+ Campy Record: shifters/brake levers, 11-23 cassette (recently learned
12/13 small cog require different lockring), C-10 chain
+ Campy Chorus: brakes, F & R ders, BB, Crankset
+ ITM stem, Cinelli bars, Chris King NoThread HS, Selle Italia saddle
+ Campy Eurus wheels

Other useful knowledge would include:

Replacement of chain (need the spendy Campy tool or will any decent chaintool suffice? Any special
knowlege, i.e. don't do this... or if this happens your screwed...)

Shifer cable maintenance/replacement. It's a bit tardy so it's sticking somewhere, but I've
been warned to exercise caution before sticking my nose and tools under the hoods. A how-to?
Special advice?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> I recently purchased a very nice Colnago Dream Plus, which I've been putting some high mileage on
> over the past few weeks. Now that I've gained some familiarity with it I'm lining up the few
> things I wish to change. As it didn't come with any owners manual I was wondering if there's any
> such thing for the frame. Most of the Campy gruppo I can get info straight from Campy, but I don't
> know anything about sizes and threading on this (my first italian bike.) i.e. I've seen mention of
> English threading on BB's and wonder what this means.
>
> As it arrived:
> + 2002 Colnago Dream Plus frame, Flash Fork
> + Campy Record: shifters/brake levers, 11-23 cassette (recently learned
> 12/13 small cog require different lockring), C-10 chain
> + Campy Chorus: brakes, F & R ders, BB, Crankset
> + ITM stem, Cinelli bars, Chris King NoThread HS, Selle Italia saddle
> + Campy Eurus wheels
>
> Other useful knowledge would include:
>
> Replacement of chain (need the spendy Campy tool or will any decent chaintool suffice? Any special
> knowlege, i.e. don't do this... or if this happens your screwed...)
>
> Shifer cable maintenance/replacement. It's a bit tardy so it's sticking somewhere, but I've
> been warned to exercise caution before sticking my nose and tools under the hoods. A how-to?
> Special advice?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Richard
>
The "Owners Manual" for the Dream Plus will tell you absolutely nothing about what you're asking. If
there is such a critter, it'll go over warranty info and how to tighten a QR.

Most Italian frames have, get this!, Italian bottom brackets. I'll let the more August Personages
here on r.b.tech go over the specifics of Italian BB design.

The rest of the wrenching info is probably best found on Park's website: http://www.parktool.com/.
The rest is experience. I'd recommend seeing if your LBS is going to have a clinic. They're usually
pretty helpful for beginning wrenches.

Mike

Mike S. wrote:
> "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>
>>I recently purchased a very nice Colnago Dream Plus, which I've been putting some high mileage on
>>over the past few weeks. Now that I've gained some familiarity with it I'm lining up the few
>>things I wish to change. As it didn't come with any owners manual I was wondering if there's any
>>such thing for the frame. Most of the Campy gruppo I can get info straight from Campy, but I don't
>>know anything about sizes and threading on this (my first italian bike.) i.e. I've seen mention of
>>English threading on BB's and wonder what this means.
>>
>>As it arrived:
>>+ 2002 Colnago Dream Plus frame, Flash Fork
>>+ Campy Record: shifters/brake levers, 11-23 cassette (recently learned
>> 12/13 small cog require different lockring), C-10 chain
>>+ Campy Chorus: brakes, F & R ders, BB, Crankset
>>+ ITM stem, Cinelli bars, Chris King NoThread HS, Selle Italia saddle
>>+ Campy Eurus wheels
>>
>>Other useful knowledge would include:
>>
>>Replacement of chain (need the spendy Campy tool or will any decent chaintool suffice? Any special
>>knowlege, i.e. don't do this... or if this happens your screwed...)
>>
>>Shifer cable maintenance/replacement. It's a bit tardy so it's sticking somewhere, but I've
>>been warned to exercise caution before sticking my nose and tools under the hoods. A how-to?
>>Special advice?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Richard
>>
>
> The "Owners Manual" for the Dream Plus will tell you absolutely nothing about what you're asking.
> If there is such a critter, it'll go over warranty info and how to tighten a QR.

Bummer, but understandable as bikes are usually outfitted with whatever the buyer wants. My
Cannondale MTB came with a portfolio.

> Most Italian frames have, get this!, Italian bottom brackets. I'll let the more August Personages
> here on r.b.tech go over the specifics of Italian BB design.

I expected as much, but wondered why Campy makes English thread stuff. Is it typically for UK built
bikes? Aside from yanking the BB is there any way to identify what's lurking in there? I'm fond of
keeping spare parts around and plan to have a spare BB for the fateful day it starts to ping.

> The rest of the wrenching info is probably best found on Park's website: http://www.parktool.com/.

Spent quite some time on there, but asside from the cassette/BB tool they're pretty vague on too
many things. Perhaps I should see if I can find an email address on their site (many sites hide
these things to prevent good customer service.) They make no specific mention of Campy in regard to
any chain tools.

> The rest is experience. I'd recommend seeing if your LBS is going to have a clinic. They're
> usually pretty helpful for beginning wrenches.

I've got some, but it mostly pertaining to Shimano stuff.

> Mike
>

> >>I recently purchased a very nice Colnago Dream Plus, which I've been putting some high mileage
> >>on over the past few weeks. Now that I've gained some familiarity with it I'm lining up the few
> >>things I wish to change. As it didn't come with any owners manual I was wondering if there's any
> >>such thing for the frame. Most of the Campy gruppo I can get info straight from Campy, but I
> >>don't know anything about sizes and threading on this (my first italian bike.) i.e. I've seen
> >>mention of English threading on BB's and wonder what this means.
> >>
> >>As it arrived:
> >>+ 2002 Colnago Dream Plus frame, Flash Fork
> >>+ Campy Record: shifters/brake levers, 11-23 cassette (recently learned
> >> 12/13 small cog require different lockring), C-10 chain
> >>+ Campy Chorus: brakes, F & R ders, BB, Crankset
> >>+ ITM stem, Cinelli bars, Chris King NoThread HS, Selle Italia saddle
> >>+ Campy Eurus wheels
> >>
> >>Other useful knowledge would include:
> >>
> >>Replacement of chain (need the spendy Campy tool or will any decent chaintool suffice? Any
> >>special knowlege, i.e. don't do this... or if this happens your screwed...)
> >>
> >>Shifer cable maintenance/replacement. It's a bit tardy so it's sticking somewhere, but I've been
> >>warned to exercise caution before sticking my nose and tools under the hoods. A how-to? Special
> >>advice?
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >>Richard
> >>
> >
> > The "Owners Manual" for the Dream Plus will tell you absolutely nothing about what you're
> > asking. If there is such a critter, it'll go over warranty info and how to tighten a QR.
>
> Bummer, but understandable as bikes are usually outfitted with whatever the buyer wants. My
> Cannondale MTB came with a portfolio.
>
> > Most Italian frames have, get this!, Italian bottom brackets. I'll let
the
> > more August Personages here on r.b.tech go over the specifics of Italian
BB
> > design.
>
> I expected as much, but wondered why Campy makes English thread stuff. Is it typically for UK
> built bikes? Aside from yanking the BB is there any way to identify what's lurking in there?
> I'm fond of keeping spare parts around and plan to have a spare BB for the fateful day it
> starts to ping.
>
There're actually quite a few more English BB bicycles manufactured than there are Italian BB
bicycles. Gotta keep your customers happy...

The way to tell is the writing on the sides of the BB cups itself. Your Italian BB is going to say
70x1.XX, English is 68x1.XX. If your Italian BB is a Campy sealed unit, you may as well wait to buy
a new one. It'll be a lot of years before it wears out.

> > The rest of the wrenching info is probably best found on Park's website:
> > http://www.parktool.com/.
>
> Spent quite some time on there, but asside from the cassette/BB tool they're pretty vague on too
> many things. Perhaps I should see if I can find an email address on their site (many sites hide
> these things to prevent good customer service.) They make no specific mention of Campy in regard
> to any chain tools.
>
> > The rest is experience. I'd recommend seeing if your LBS is going to have a clinic. They're
> > usually pretty helpful for beginning wrenches.
>
> I've got some, but it mostly pertaining to Shimano stuff.

Wrenching is wrenching. There's nothing too special about Campy stuff. There is stuff that you can
get into with lots of knowledge: ie: rebuilding the springs/disc inside the lever body itself.

>
> > Mike
> >
> >

Richard Adams wrote:
>
>
, but I don't know anything about sizes and
> threading on this (my first italian bike.) i.e. I've seen mention of English threading on BB's and
> wonder what this means.
>
> Other useful knowledge would include:
>
I'd recommend you root around Sheldon's site a bit.

Jay Hill wrote:
> Richard Adams wrote:
>
>>
>>
> , but I don't know anything about sizes and
>
>> threading on this (my first italian bike.) i.e. I've seen mention of English threading on BB's
>> and wonder what this means.
>>
>> Other useful knowledge would include:
>>
> I'd recommend you root around Sheldon's site a bit.

Pardon? Sheldon's site would be...?

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jay Hill wrote:
> > Richard Adams wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>
> > , but I don't know anything about sizes and
> >
> >> threading on this (my first italian bike.) i.e. I've seen mention of English threading on BB's
> >> and wonder what this means.
> >>
> >> Other useful knowledge would include:
> >>
> > I'd recommend you root around Sheldon's site a bit.
>
> Pardon? Sheldon's site would be...?

you can get there via www.sheldonbrown.com. That site is a wealth of knowledge of all
things cycling.

Mike

On 06 Nov 2003 14:25:39 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>Altho most are 'english' threading, there are still a BUNCH of framesets made with the superior
>Italian threading, most from.....Italy and a manufacturer in

The what now? How is italian threading superior? The tpi and thread diameter seems pretty much the
same, the Italian thread has the wrong kind of thread in the fixed cup.. what's left, does Italian
thread specify a better slope or shape for the actual threads?

>Belgium(Eddy something??)..

Would that be Eddy Merckx?

>Ya try a competent bike shop?? Ya would be surprised the amount of knowledge that lurks 'in the
>back'....

In most places, "competent bike shop" is either nonexistent or unfindable.

Jasper

Status
Not open for further replies.