Owwwwwwwww!!!!

Beelsebob2

Guest
Grr, And here was me telling people it's almost impossible to injure
yourself badly when riding a unicycle... I've just been trying to get
saddle out, came off sideways and didn't get my foot out in time...
Landed on my outstreched arm, and now I can't move my elbow :(

Bob

--
beelsebob2
beelsebob2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4787

sorry to hear it mate, hope it gets better soon, finally my
ligament is almost healed in my foot now which means i can
start riding properly without holding back to much again.

--
tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

"rest and elevation" we know its all we'll be told, so why do we still
go and wait in A&E all day?
tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

> Grr, And here was me telling people it's almost impossible
> to injure yourself badly when riding a unicycle... Bob

Bob-- I learned firsthand that one can get injured semi-
badly whilst fiddlin' with the unicycle. Last month 13
April), whilst I was attempting a way-too-enthusiastic
freemount on a shallow incline, I was slammed into the
asphalt hard enough to cleanly break a rib (number 10, left
side) with my elbow. A rather freakish fall, no doubt. But
yet another example of an unfortunate accident, and one that
was not prevented by the use of a helmet, leather gloves,
wristguards, kneepads, and high-top leather boots. The
upshot is that injuries do occur, and usually when one least
expects them to do so. --carl

man, that sucks. Hope you get better soon.

Last night I crank grabed a metal see-saw (about 10" wide)
in the wet, and jumped onto it, but slipped and landed on
the top of my leg on the see-saw... it gave me a dead leg
all last night and today.

Tom, thats great that you can start to ride with holding
back! Shame about BUC though!

Joe,

--
joe - Who needs cranks anyways?

:cool: *www.cool.unicyclist.com* :cool:

'I like to show off in front of people not to show them what I can do,
but to show them what can be done on a unicycle' - Sofa

'SIXSIXONE' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

ahh im not too bothered about BUC actually i enjoyed it so
thats all that matter, and theres always next year

--

On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:25:01 -0500, "Krashin'Kenny" wrote:

>I shattered my right thumb in 9 places back in October.

I never even knew there were that many places in a
single thumb :)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

beelsebob2 wrote:
> *Grr, And here was me telling people it's almost
> impossible to injure yourself badly when riding a
> unicycle... *

Definitely not impossible. About a month ago I took a
serious header off the front trying to pedal too fast.
Landed on my shoulder and got a slight collar bone
separation. Still healing but at least I'm also still
riding. Also smacked my head on the pavement at the same
time. Lucky I was wearing a helmet.

--
underdog - level 0.5 rider

toast is god's way of saying 'eat more butter'
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

Any physical activity is going to have the possibility of
injury, especially when falling down and/or speed is
concerned. Sorry about your elbow. Compare this to my friend
who slipped on a wet floor a couple of months ago, coming
straight down on his butt with his arm stretched exactly
perpindicular to the ground. He broke his wrist in several
places (compound fracture I guess, though bones did not
break the skin). He has only recently graduated to a cast,
after wearing a bracket on his arm with bolts and pins
holding the bones in place.

The total time will be several months of healing, followed
by several more of rehabilitation (his arm is all skinny
now) and almost a guarantee of having arthritis in that
wrist in later life. And he was on two feet!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

I fell off midway across a teetertotter Saturday afternoon
and landed on my hands. I've had it wrapped up since, and
finally decided I should go to the clinic and get it looked
at. Turns out I have a fracture at the base of my thumb. I
have an appointment with a hand surgeon Friday morning.

Here is what my left thumb looks like as of this
afternoon...

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: bumthumb.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/209776| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--
weeble - There can be only one... wheel

==============
Another Joe in MN
Level 2 and holding
==============

weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

weeble wrote:
> *I fell off midway across a teetertotter Saturday
> afternoon and landed on my hands. I've had it wrapped up
> since, and finally decided I should go to the clinic and
> get it looked at. Turns out I have a fracture at the base
> of my thumb. I have an appointment with a hand surgeon
> Friday morning.
>
> Here is what my left thumb looks like as of this
> afternoon... *

At least it looks like a small, clean break. I can relate to
your situation. I shattered my right thumb in 9 places back
in October.

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

beelsebob2 wrote:
> *Neither did I until I got my nose broken in 5
> different places.
>
> Bob *
Wait till you see a video of a nose job. They basically
break up the nose into tiny bits with a hammer and punch and
then put a mold over the top of it so that it heals into the
new shape. :(

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:25:01 -0500, "Krashin'Kenny"
> wrote:
>
> >I shattered my right thumb in 9 places back in October.
>
> I never even knew there were that many places in a single
> thumb :)
>
> Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
> --
> be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
> post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the
> comfort of Savage unis
>
> *

It's hard to see all the fractures in these pictures, but
check out this thread from awhile back:

http://tinyurl.com/32feb

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

I was going to mention how I sliced my knee last night after
trying to ride down some steps (actually, I had just ridden
down a couple of the steps and was stepping off the uni
after deciding not to ride down the rest of them when I
fell), but as I continued to read down the list of posts I
was overcome with feelings of inadequacy that my slight
wound didn't actually leave me requiring medical attention.
Well, I say it didn't need medical attention, but my
girlfriend did make me put a plaster on it when I went to
bed so I wouldn't bleed everywhere. ..however, I did draw
the line at using one of the 'Barbie' plasters that she
first offered me.

The most annoying thing about it all is I had my knee pads
with me, but decided to leave them in the car as I didn't
think I'd need them.

So, I've learnt my lesson.

Gary

--
Gary.Kelsall - One of the BJC 2004 organisers
Gary.Kelsall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5847

beelsebob2 wrote:
> *Heh, I've seen the videos... I've had a nose job after my
> nose got broken... On another note, it appears I managed
> to break my arm :(
>
> Bob *

That SUCKS!!!!!!!!! Hope you heal quickly :)