Owwwwwwwww!!!!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Beelsebob2, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Beelsebob2

    Beelsebob2 Guest

    Grr, And here was me telling people it's almost impossible to injure
    yourself badly when riding a unicycle... I've just been trying to get
    saddle out, came off sideways and didn't get my foot out in time...
    Landed on my outstreched arm, and now I can't move my elbow :(

    Bob

    --
    beelsebob2
    beelsebob2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4787

  2. Tom_edmonds

    Tom_edmonds Guest

    sorry to hear it mate, hope it gets better soon, finally my
    ligament is almost healed in my foot now which means i can
    start riding properly without holding back to much again.

    --
    tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

    "rest and elevation" we know its all we'll be told, so why do we still
    go and wait in A&E all day?
    tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

  3. > Grr, And here was me telling people it's almost impossible
    > to injure yourself badly when riding a unicycle... Bob

    Bob-- I learned firsthand that one can get injured semi-
    badly whilst fiddlin' with the unicycle. Last month 13
    April), whilst I was attempting a way-too-enthusiastic
    freemount on a shallow incline, I was slammed into the
    asphalt hard enough to cleanly break a rib (number 10, left
    side) with my elbow. A rather freakish fall, no doubt. But
    yet another example of an unfortunate accident, and one that
    was not prevented by the use of a helmet, leather gloves,
    wristguards, kneepads, and high-top leather boots. The
    upshot is that injuries do occur, and usually when one least
    expects them to do so. --carl

  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    man, that sucks. Hope you get better soon.

    Last night I crank grabed a metal see-saw (about 10" wide)
    in the wet, and jumped onto it, but slipped and landed on
    the top of my leg on the see-saw... it gave me a dead leg
    all last night and today.

    Tom, thats great that you can start to ride with holding
    back! Shame about BUC though!

    Joe,

    --
    joe - Who needs cranks anyways?

    :cool: *www.cool.unicyclist.com* :cool:

    'I like to show off in front of people not to show them what I can do,
    but to show them what can be done on a unicycle' - Sofa

    'SIXSIXONE' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
    joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

  5. Tom_edmonds

    Tom_edmonds Guest

    ahh im not too bothered about BUC actually i enjoyed it so
    thats all that matter, and theres always next year

    --
    tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

    "rest and elevation" we know its all we'll be told, so why do we still
    go and wait in A&E all day?
    tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

  6. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:25:01 -0500, "Krashin'Kenny" wrote:

    >I shattered my right thumb in 9 places back in October.

    I never even knew there were that many places in a
    single thumb :)

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

  7. Underdog

    Underdog Guest

    beelsebob2 wrote:
    > *Grr, And here was me telling people it's almost
    > impossible to injure yourself badly when riding a
    > unicycle... *

    Definitely not impossible. About a month ago I took a
    serious header off the front trying to pedal too fast.
    Landed on my shoulder and got a slight collar bone
    separation. Still healing but at least I'm also still
    riding. Also smacked my head on the pavement at the same
    time. Lucky I was wearing a helmet.

    --
    underdog - level 0.5 rider

    toast is god's way of saying 'eat more butter'
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  8. Johnfoss

    Johnfoss Guest

    Any physical activity is going to have the possibility of
    injury, especially when falling down and/or speed is
    concerned. Sorry about your elbow. Compare this to my friend
    who slipped on a wet floor a couple of months ago, coming
    straight down on his butt with his arm stretched exactly
    perpindicular to the ground. He broke his wrist in several
    places (compound fracture I guess, though bones did not
    break the skin). He has only recently graduated to a cast,
    after wearing a bracket on his arm with bolts and pins
    holding the bones in place.

    The total time will be several months of healing, followed
    by several more of rehabilitation (his arm is all skinny
    now) and almost a guarantee of having arthritis in that
    wrist in later life. And he was on two feet!

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

  9. Weeble

    Weeble Guest

    I fell off midway across a teetertotter Saturday afternoon
    and landed on my hands. I've had it wrapped up since, and
    finally decided I should go to the clinic and get it looked
    at. Turns out I have a fracture at the base of my thumb. I
    have an appointment with a hand surgeon Friday morning.

    Here is what my left thumb looks like as of this
    afternoon...

    +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+
    | Attachment filename: bumthumb.jpg |
    http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/209776| +-------------------------------------------------------
    ---------+

    --
    weeble - There can be only one... wheel

    ==============
    Another Joe in MN
    Level 2 and holding
    ==============

    weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

  10. weeble wrote:
    > *I fell off midway across a teetertotter Saturday
    > afternoon and landed on my hands. I've had it wrapped up
    > since, and finally decided I should go to the clinic and
    > get it looked at. Turns out I have a fracture at the base
    > of my thumb. I have an appointment with a hand surgeon
    > Friday morning.
    >
    > Here is what my left thumb looks like as of this
    > afternoon... *

    At least it looks like a small, clean break. I can relate to
    your situation. I shattered my right thumb in 9 places back
    in October.

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  11. Beelsebob2

    Beelsebob2 Guest

  12. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    beelsebob2 wrote:
    > *Neither did I until I got my nose broken in 5
    > different places.
    >
    > Bob *
    Wait till you see a video of a nose job. They basically
    break up the nose into tiny bits with a hammer and punch and
    then put a mold over the top of it so that it heals into the
    new shape. :(

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  13. Klaas Bil wrote:
    > *On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:25:01 -0500, "Krashin'Kenny"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I shattered my right thumb in 9 places back in October.
    >
    > I never even knew there were that many places in a single
    > thumb :)
    >
    > Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    > --
    > be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    > post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the
    > comfort of Savage unis
    >
    > *

    It's hard to see all the fractures in these pictures, but
    check out this thread from awhile back:

    http://tinyurl.com/32feb

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  14. Gary.Kelsall

    Gary.Kelsall Guest

    I was going to mention how I sliced my knee last night after
    trying to ride down some steps (actually, I had just ridden
    down a couple of the steps and was stepping off the uni
    after deciding not to ride down the rest of them when I
    fell), but as I continued to read down the list of posts I
    was overcome with feelings of inadequacy that my slight
    wound didn't actually leave me requiring medical attention.
    Well, I say it didn't need medical attention, but my
    girlfriend did make me put a plaster on it when I went to
    bed so I wouldn't bleed everywhere. ..however, I did draw
    the line at using one of the 'Barbie' plasters that she
    first offered me.

    The most annoying thing about it all is I had my knee pads
    with me, but decided to leave them in the car as I didn't
    think I'd need them.

    So, I've learnt my lesson.

    Gary

    --
    Gary.Kelsall - One of the BJC 2004 organisers
    Gary.Kelsall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5847

  15. Beelsebob2

    Beelsebob2 Guest

  16. beelsebob2 wrote:
    > *Heh, I've seen the videos... I've had a nose job after my
    > nose got broken... On another note, it appears I managed
    > to break my arm :(
    >
    > Bob *

    That SUCKS!!!!!!!!! Hope you heal quickly :)