Oysters Bingo question...

Dave

Guest
I've looked at a number of recipes on the net for an Oysters Bingo recipe. They are all identical
and all say to use flour in the list of ingredients but to bread the oysters in the directions.
Which is it, flour or bread crumbs , or both? See following recipe...

Ingredients: 1 oz Butter or Vegetable Oil 1 Tbsp Oyster Juice 6 fresh Oysters 1 Tbsp White Wine 1
cup Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper 1 Tbsp Shallots 1 Tbsp real Lemon Juice Directions: Lightly
bread 6 oysters and saute on one side until golden brown, then saute the other side until same color
appears. Remove oysters from pan. Turn off heat and add the wine, oyster juice, lemon juice, and
shallots to the butter that the oysters were sauted in. This will make a creamy sauce to pour over
the oysters

Dave wrote:
> I've looked at a number of recipes on the net for an Oysters Bingo recipe. They are all identical
> and all say to use flour in the list of ingredients but to bread the oysters in the directions.
> Which is it, flour or bread crumbs , or both? See following recipe...
>
> Ingredients: 1 oz Butter or Vegetable Oil 1 Tbsp Oyster Juice 6 fresh Oysters 1 Tbsp White Wine 1
> cup Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper 1 Tbsp Shallots 1 Tbsp real Lemon Juice Directions:
> Lightly bread 6 oysters and saute on one side until golden brown, then saute the other side until
> same color appears. Remove oysters from pan. Turn off heat and add the wine, oyster juice, lemon
> juice, and shallots to the butter that the oysters were sauted in. This will make a creamy sauce
> to pour over the oysters

I think they mean to dredge the oysters in the seasoned flour, then shake off the excess. It is a
poorly worded recipe.

- Adam

--
Adam Fineman

(Reverse domain name to reply.)

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 21:57:48 GMT, "Dave" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I've looked at a number of recipes on the net for an Oysters Bingo recipe. They are all identical
>and all say to use flour in the list of ingredients but to bread the oysters in the directions.
>Which is it, flour or bread crumbs , or both? See following recipe...
>
>Ingredients: 1 oz Butter or Vegetable Oil 1 Tbsp Oyster Juice 6 fresh Oysters 1 Tbsp White Wine 1
>cup Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper 1 Tbsp Shallots 1 Tbsp real Lemon Juice Directions:
>Lightly bread 6 oysters and saute on one side until golden brown, then saute the other side until
>same color appears. Remove oysters from pan. Turn off heat and add the wine, oyster juice, lemon
>juice, and shallots to the butter that the oysters were sauted in. This will make a creamy sauce to
>pour over the oysters

To "bread" generally means to coat with crumbs of some sort

http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary/food/index.ssf?TERM=bread&submit.x=7&submit.y=11

This recipe appears to call seasoned flour as 'breading', rather than the more appropriate
'dredging'. The "creamy sauce" is the result of flour left behind from the saute process combining
with the cooking oil to make a roux and then combined with liquid. And wow, it sure does look like
one recipe reproduced over and over again. The restaurant/club origin (Ship's Cabin) is more known
for music than food.