P38 Brakes

Alex

Guest
I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then purchased a 20" wheel for it and
put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the clearance to the fork was
minimal. The only brake I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now stops me
from making left turns. Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes with a 20"
wheel than with a 16" wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the necessary
clearances to the frame?

Many thanks

Alex

Your bike shop is an idiot. Call Tim Brummer at Lightning and order whatever brake and or fork they
put on a new 20 inch (medium or large) P-38.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then
purchased
> a 20" wheel for it and put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the
> clearance to the fork was minimal. The only
brake
> I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now stops me from making left turns.
> Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes with a 20" wheel than with a 16"
> wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the necessary clearances to the frame?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Alex

> I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then purchased a 20" wheel for it and
> put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the clearance to the fork
> was minimal. The only brake I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now
> stops me from making left turns. Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes
> with a 20" wheel than with a 16" wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the
> necessary clearances to the frame?

Lightning Supplies several 20" forks. You can get them with out brake bosses (Caliper) or with brake
bosses on the front or back. IIRC the price is about $150.

You should mount your 105 brakes on the back of the 16" wheel and route the cable on the left. If
this still prevents left turns, then a new 20" fork is your next choice.

Here is my latest and best brake set up for the front og my P-38 I used Shimano XTR and routed the
cable on the left and behind the fork (a la CycleGenius & Bacchetta).
http://www.clee.org/Cycling/images/VoyagerBrakes/VoyagerFrontBrake.jpg As you can see I have plenty
room for fenders and the cable clears the idler.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

For God's sake man... WASH THAT BIKE!!! :)

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:11:04 -0500, Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>> I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then purchased a 20" wheel for it and
>> put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the clearance to the fork
>> was minimal. The only brake I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now
>> stops me from making left turns. Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes
>> with a 20" wheel than with a 16" wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the
>> necessary clearances to the frame?
>
>Lightning Supplies several 20" forks. You can get them with out brake bosses (Caliper) or with
>brake bosses on the front or back. IIRC the price is about $150.
>
>You should mount your 105 brakes on the back of the 16" wheel and route the cable on the left. If
>this still prevents left turns, then a new 20" fork is your next choice.
>
>Here is my latest and best brake set up for the front og my P-38 I used Shimano XTR and routed the
>cable on the left and behind the fork (a la CycleGenius & Bacchetta).
>http://www.clee.org/Cycling/images/VoyagerBrakes/VoyagerFrontBrake.jpg As you can see I have plenty
>room for fenders and the cable clears the idler.
>

>--
>
>Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
>- Bellaire, TX USA -

> For God's sake man... WASH THAT BIKE!!! :)

Hey! That was when I had it set up with fenders for commuting. You can't expect a clean bike
and commute daily in Houston. (well maybe last month) And besides, most of the mud you see is
on the Stelvios.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then purchased a 20" wheel for it and
> put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the clearance to the fork
> was minimal. The only brake I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now
> stops me from making left turns. Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes
> with a 20" wheel than with a 16" wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the
> necessary clearances to the frame?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Alex

Something's weird here. I've used "normal-reach" caliper brakes on my Lightnings for many years.
Turning to the right or left should not be restricted if the caliper is mounted on the back of the
fork. Fuzzy picture here: http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/Gallery/photos/photo_3.html

You probably can't do this with modern short-reach calipers. Fortunately, Shimano now makes
normal-reach (47-57mm) calipers in two grades: R-600/Ultegra (
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0610 ) and RX-100 (
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0551 )

My wife used the RX-100 calipers for several years- she never had trouble making left turns.

Jeff

I have a med size p-38 with a 20" front wheel and I assume the fork is a 16" since the clearance
between wheel and fork is close with a Conti tire. I had a Shimano RX or XT mounted on the rear of
the fork. I decided to change to a 105 brake set and fou nd the reach of the front brake was too
short to mount on the rear of the fork. It works great mounted on the front ,but to allow turning
clearance you must modify the brake so the cable comes in from the bottom instead of the top. I put
a loop in the cable and used the threaded cable adjuster in the bottom
. To clamp the cable on the top I used another threaded cable adjuster and using a Dremel tool I cut
a slot in it to allow the cable to be clamped by a nut . I can get a pic of it if anyone wants to
news:[email protected]...