P38 Brakes

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Alex, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then purchased a 20" wheel for it and
    put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the clearance to the fork was
    minimal. The only brake I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now stops me
    from making left turns. Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes with a 20"
    wheel than with a 16" wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the necessary
    clearances to the frame?

    Many thanks

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Your bike shop is an idiot. Call Tim Brummer at Lightning and order whatever brake and or fork they
    put on a new 20 inch (medium or large) P-38.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then
    purchased
    > a 20" wheel for it and put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the
    > clearance to the fork was minimal. The only
    brake
    > I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now stops me from making left turns.
    > Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes with a 20" wheel than with a 16"
    > wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the necessary clearances to the frame?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Alex

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article <[email protected]pond.net.au>, [email protected] says...
    > I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then purchased a 20" wheel for it and
    > put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the clearance to the fork
    > was minimal. The only brake I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now
    > stops me from making left turns. Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes
    > with a 20" wheel than with a 16" wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the
    > necessary clearances to the frame?

    Lightning Supplies several 20" forks. You can get them with out brake bosses (Caliper) or with brake
    bosses on the front or back. IIRC the price is about $150.

    You should mount your 105 brakes on the back of the 16" wheel and route the cable on the left. If
    this still prevents left turns, then a new 20" fork is your next choice.

    Here is my latest and best brake set up for the front og my P-38 I used Shimano XTR and routed the
    cable on the left and behind the fork (a la CycleGenius & Bacchetta).
    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/images/VoyagerBrakes/VoyagerFrontBrake.jpg As you can see I have plenty
    room for fenders and the cable clears the idler.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Bentrider

    Bentrider Guest

    For God's sake man... WASH THAT BIKE!!! :)

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:11:04 -0500, Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >> I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then purchased a 20" wheel for it and
    >> put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the clearance to the fork
    >> was minimal. The only brake I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now
    >> stops me from making left turns. Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes
    >> with a 20" wheel than with a 16" wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the
    >> necessary clearances to the frame?
    >
    >Lightning Supplies several 20" forks. You can get them with out brake bosses (Caliper) or with
    >brake bosses on the front or back. IIRC the price is about $150.
    >
    >You should mount your 105 brakes on the back of the 16" wheel and route the cable on the left. If
    >this still prevents left turns, then a new 20" fork is your next choice.
    >
    >Here is my latest and best brake set up for the front og my P-38 I used Shimano XTR and routed the
    >cable on the left and behind the fork (a la CycleGenius & Bacchetta).
    >http://www.clee.org/Cycling/images/VoyagerBrakes/VoyagerFrontBrake.jpg As you can see I have plenty
    >room for fenders and the cable clears the idler.
    >

    >--
    >
    >Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    >- Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > For God's sake man... WASH THAT BIKE!!! :)

    Hey! That was when I had it set up with fenders for commuting. You can't expect a clean bike
    and commute daily in Houston. (well maybe last month) And besides, most of the mud you see is
    on the Stelvios.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I purchased a used P38 that had a 16" wheel on the front. I then purchased a 20" wheel for it and
    > put it on. The brakes could of course no longer contact the wheel and the clearance to the fork
    > was minimal. The only brake I could buy at the local dealer was a 105 calliper brake that now
    > stops me from making left turns. Does anyone know if Lightning supplies a longer fork for bikes
    > with a 20" wheel than with a 16" wheel? Does anyone know what brake I can use that will give the
    > necessary clearances to the frame?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Alex

    Something's weird here. I've used "normal-reach" caliper brakes on my Lightnings for many years.
    Turning to the right or left should not be restricted if the caliper is mounted on the back of the
    fork. Fuzzy picture here: http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/Gallery/photos/photo_3.html

    You probably can't do this with modern short-reach calipers. Fortunately, Shimano now makes
    normal-reach (47-57mm) calipers in two grades: R-600/Ultegra (
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0610 ) and RX-100 (
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0551 )

    My wife used the RX-100 calipers for several years- she never had trouble making left turns.

    Jeff

  7. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    I have a med size p-38 with a 20" front wheel and I assume the fork is a 16" since the clearance
    between wheel and fork is close with a Conti tire. I had a Shimano RX or XT mounted on the rear of
    the fork. I decided to change to a 105 brake set and fou nd the reach of the front brake was too
    short to mount on the rear of the fork. It works great mounted on the front ,but to allow turning
    clearance you must modify the brake so the cable comes in from the bottom instead of the top. I put
    a loop in the cable and used the threaded cable adjuster in the bottom
    . To clamp the cable on the top I used another threaded cable adjuster and using a Dremel tool I cut
    a slot in it to allow the cable to be clamped by a nut . I can get a pic of it if anyone wants to
    news:[email protected]...