P38 Seat Alteration?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chuck Davis, May 13, 2003.

  1. Chuck Davis

    Chuck Davis Guest

    One of the problems I've had with my Lightning P38 over the years is the closed seat position. If I
    try to adjust the seat backward at more of an angle, the seat hits the rear wheel. Has anyone
    changed or altered their P38 to somehow give a more reclining or open seat position?

    Thanks, Chuck Davis

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > One of the problems I've had with my Lightning P38 over the years is the closed seat position. If
    > I try to adjust the seat backward at more of an angle, the seat hits the rear wheel. Has anyone
    > changed or altered their P38 to somehow give a more reclining or open seat position?

    Even if you overcome the limitation on the seat angle of 50° to 65°, you still have the rear wheel
    to deal with. I have a P-38 with a 26"(559) rear wheel. I have more clearance behind the seat than
    those with a 700C(622). I have my seat at the mimimum angle permitted by the seat post bolts. It
    hardly qualifies as 50° (more like 60° in my eye). I have a design in mind that overcomes this
    problem but requires a 'doaner' Lightning seat. So far, I have not been willing to cut up my seat to
    test my model theory.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Chuck Davis

    Chuck Davis Guest

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Even if you overcome the limitation on the seat angle of 50° to 65°, you
    still have the rear
    > wheel to deal with. I have a P-38 with a 26"(559) rear wheel. I have
    more clearance behind
    > the seat than those with a 700C(622). I have my seat at the mimimum angle
    permitted by the seat
    > post bolts. It hardly qualifies as 50° (more like 60° in my eye). I have
    a design in mind that
    > overcomes this problem but requires a 'doaner' Lightning seat. So far, I
    have not been willing
    > to cut up my seat to test my model theory.

    I was just lookin' and thinkin'. What about a 20" wheel in the back? You could use a disk brake.
    Cutting down the seat stays would allow the seat to go way back and you could cold bend the sides to
    make the seat flatter. How does that sound?

    Chuck Davis

    > "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Even if you overcome the limitation on the seat angle of 50° to 65°, you
    > still have the rear
    > > wheel to deal with. I have a P-38 with a 26"(559) rear wheel. I have
    > more clearance behind
    > > the seat than those with a 700C(622). I have my seat at the mimimum angle
    > permitted by the seat
    > > post bolts. It hardly qualifies as 50° (more like 60° in my eye). I have
    > a design in mind that
    > > overcomes this problem but requires a 'doaner' Lightning seat. So far, I
    > have not been willing
    > > to cut up my seat to test my model theory.
    >
    > I was just lookin' and thinkin'. What about a 20" wheel in the back? You could use a disk brake.
    > Cutting down the seat stays would allow the seat to go way back and you could cold bend the sides
    > to make the seat flatter. How does that sound?

    Just looking at my 26" wheel and a carpenters protractor, I am currently at about 60° as I guessed.
    By cutting the seat stays I could get the seatback to about a 40° angle. Again there is the problem
    with the bottom seat bolts. New holes for the bolts would be required. Angletech made some RANS seat
    hinges that fit inside the Rans tubulars. Something similar could be cobbled for the Lightning seat.
    Maybe an M-5 seat could be mated to a P-38.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Chuck Davis wrote:

    > I was just lookin' and thinkin'. What about a 20" wheel in the back? You could use a disk brake.
    > Cutting down the seat stays would allow the seat to go way back and you could cold bend the sides
    > to make the seat flatter. How does that sound?

    Ask Ed Gin. < http://home.earthlink.net/~gkpsol/shockster.html >.

  6. Chuck Davis

    Chuck Davis Guest

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Just looking at my 26" wheel and a carpenters protractor, I am currently at about 60° as I
    > guessed. By cutting the seat stays I could get the seatback to about a 40° angle. Again there is
    > the problem with the bottom seat bolts. New holes for the bolts would be required. Angletech made
    > some RANS seat hinges that fit inside the Rans tubulars. Something similar could be cobbled for
    > the Lightning seat. Maybe an M-5 seat could be mated to a P-38.

    If you cut the seat stays, you should be able to cut a 3/4" slot in the top of each and use a hose
    clamp instead of the current bolts. All you want is for the seat brackets to be held in the position
    they were adjusted to.

    Chuck Davis

  7. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    I have a design in mind that
    > overcomes this problem but requires a 'doaner' Lightning seat. So far, I have not been willing to
    > cut up my seat to test my model theory.

    Want a Lightning seat frame? I have an XL steel seat frame that fractured at the lower
    frame/crossbar joint. I'm willing to give it up for the cost of shipping. It's a UPS oversize
    package, which works out to $45 for shipping alone.

    Jeff

  8. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>... I have a design in mind that
    > > overcomes this problem but requires a 'doaner' Lightning seat. So far, I have not been willing
    > > to cut up my seat to test my model theory.
    >
    > Want a Lightning seat frame? I have an XL steel seat frame that fractured at the lower
    > frame/crossbar joint. I'm willing to give it up for the cost of shipping. It's a UPS oversize
    > package, which works out to $45 for shipping alone.

    It is the integrety of this lower frame/crossbar that I am most interested in. I thnk the $45
    shipping is more than I want to shell out for a 'broken' seat. Thanks for the offer though.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  9. Ed Gin

    Ed Gin Guest

    I have a 20/406 rear Comp Pool on my P-38 and a modified mainframe/seat frame which allows a 40
    degree lumbar angle.

    The cross support under the thighs are now U shaped to allow clearance. Also the rear stays have
    adjusters allowing a 5 inch adjustable range. Supports were added to re-inforce the rear triangle
    with the Shockster rear suspension.

    This version is certainly the quickest due to the superior aerodynamic window of the body in
    addition to raising the "pedal box" higher.

    I like this set-up and it is only a couple of mph slower than a stock Festina lowracer.

    Ed Gin

    > Chuck Davis wrote:
    > >
    > > I was just lookin' and thinkin'. What about a 20" wheel in the back? You could use a disk brake.
    > > Cutting down the seat stays would allow the seat to go way back and you could cold bend the
    > > sides to make the seat flatter. How does that sound?
    >
    > Ask Ed Gin. < http://home.earthlink.net/~gkpsol/shockster.html >.

  10. Chuck Davis

    Chuck Davis Guest

    Ed,

    I assume that the web site posted earlier http://home.earthlink.net/~gkpsol/shockster.html is yours.
    The first picture seems to be missing.

    Chuck Davis

    "Ed Gin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 20/406 rear Comp Pool on my P-38 and a modified mainframe/seat frame which allows a 40
    > degree lumbar angle.
    >
    > The cross support under the thighs are now U shaped to allow clearance. Also the rear stays have
    > adjusters allowing a 5 inch adjustable range. Supports were added to re-inforce the rear triangle
    > with the Shockster rear suspension.
    >
    > This version is certainly the quickest due to the superior aerodynamic window of the body in
    > addition to raising the "pedal box" higher.
    >
    > I like this set-up and it is only a couple of mph slower than a stock Festina lowracer.
    >
    > Ed Gin

    news:<[email protected]>...