Pace Changes......

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by lorrod, Mar 23, 2005.

1. lorrod

lorrod New Member

I have been trying to do this local "club" ride/race each week in the town where I live. It's flat, about 30 miles, and can be very fast! When we start out this ride, it's pretty easy - maybe 17-18mph. Shortly after that, we bump the pace up to about 21-22mph. However, shortly beyond that point in the ride, the pace picks up to 25-26mph and I inevitably get dropped.....just can't seem to hang on at that pace. Can anyone recommend any type of training to make the transition easier when the pace changes so that I could hang on to the group a bit easier? They hold this higher pace for the rest of the ride, maybe varying it from 24 up to 32mph at certain points.

Tags:

2. sooray02

sooray02 New Member

Interval training should be your best friend.

Best luck,

Soo-re

3. OLMO

OLMO New Member

Well, of course, intervals! But also, how much are you riding? Do you have your base miles in?

If you've never done intervals, start out with something mild, like 3x3min with 2 min rest, and build up. You probably want to do 10% under LT.

4. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

As has been mentioned in many threads, LT is quite a low intensity, and can be continued for up to several plus hours. LT is often incorrectly defined as the maximum effort that can be sustained for ~1-hr. However, this is more akin to MLSS (maximal lactate steady state).

LT is generally described as the workrate the elicits a 1 mmol/L increase over exercise baseline levels (i.e., ~ 2.X mmol/L) and as such is about 10 - 15% less power than that which can be sustained for ~1-hr. the other main descriptor of LT is the work rate that elicits a lactate of 2.5 mmol/L.

Ric

5. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Probably not that helpfull to use jargin to a begginer.
    Mate, to reach a pace of 25mph is (I believe) a base line that defines hacks from racers. to maintain a bunch speed of 25mph with the occasional burst up to 32 mph you simply need to be a better overal rider! how? follow a general program, base, intensity then speed. If you dont have a base... get one.... if you do then do what most people on this forum call intervalls... basicaly go hard for a set time then rest for a set time repeated several times.....then do speed work....... go as hard as hell for 10 - 20 seconds, recover and do it again, and again, and again :)

My (very) basic theory
    3 - 4k base, 6 -8 weeks intensity, 2 - 3 weeks speed...peak reast start again...

very basic and not person specific but a reasonable guide line mabey