Pace Counter

Knowlege is Powder

Guest
I am looking for a suitable pace counter for walking,

It cant be electronic as the qualification I am taking wont allow that.

I have a poor working memory therefore i need to be able to click on quite
frequently every 25-50 paces.

Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?

Knowlege is Powder wrote:
> I am looking for a suitable pace counter for walking,
>
> It cant be electronic as the qualification I am taking wont allow
> that.
> I have a poor working memory therefore i need to be able to click on
> quite frequently every 25-50 paces.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?

A tally counter. Its a small mechanical thing which clicks round one number
every time you press the button on it.

Squires tools in Brighton have them for £5.45, which counts from 0 to 9999,
then goes back to zero (I expect there is a reset button on it somewhere).
I don't think Squires have a website, I happen to have their catelogue by my
desk.

I'm sure numerous other suppliers will have them.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Knowlege is Powder wrote:
> I am looking for a suitable pace counter for walking,
>
> It cant be electronic as the qualification I am taking wont allow that.
>
> I have a poor working memory therefore i need to be able to click on quite
> frequently every 25-50 paces.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?

Sounds daft but one simply idea would be to have a string necklace with
beeds. For every set number of steps you could swap a beed from one
side of the knot to the other. So for example if you're aware that 65
ish steps equals 100m (roughly), 10 beads will tell you you've
travelled 1km. Simple yet effective.

[email protected] said...
> I am looking for a suitable pace counter for walking,
>
> It cant be electronic as the qualification I am taking wont allow that.
>
> I have a poor working memory therefore i need to be able to click on quite
> frequently every 25-50 paces.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?

Go to a sewing shop and ask for a thing to count stitches. The ones
I've used fit over crochet hooks or knitting needles, thus it is a
simple task to thread some string through and wear it as a necklace.
This is what it looks like:
http://tinyurl.com/aauqf
You could advance the counter in 10s or 20s, or any convenient number of
paces, and then simply multiply by the number on the counter at the end.

Good luck with whatever it is you're doing.

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

"Knowlege is Powder" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I am looking for a suitable pace counter for walking,
>
> It cant be electronic as the qualification I am taking wont allow
> that.
>
> I have a poor working memory therefore i need to be able to click on
> quite frequently every 25-50 paces.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?

Tally Counter as recommended in previous post, ebay for £2.69
Ranger beads - google for them, and make your own
Cheapest - stones, "units" in 1 pocket, "10's" in the other.

Bear in mind, IMO, as a navigation tool, this method is only useful if you
know your gait under the varying conditions you'll use it.
e.g. weight carried, wind conditions, underfoot conditions, slope etc.
Once you have that down though ......... :)

HTH

--
"Whit's fur yi, will no' go by yi"

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:33:56 -0000, "Knowlege is Powder"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a poor working memory therefore i need to be able to click on quite
>frequently every 25-50 paces.
>
>Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?

Fingers. Practice your binary and you'll find you have more than
enough.

Alternatively, use pebbles, and transfer one from one pocket to
another every however often you decide.

S.

--
Oppose ID cards and the database state
http://www.no2id.com/

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:47:03 -0000, Fran
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Fingers. Practice your binary and you'll find you have more than
>> enough.

>1064? I never did manage to master the art, although I could get to 32
>on one hand if I thought very hard about it...

Interesting. I could only get to 31.

Judith

Caldwell contained the following:

>>Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?
>>

>Fingers. Practice your binary and you'll find you have more than
>enough.

Hmmm, got to 32 then I dropped my pole...
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

[email protected] said...
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:33:56 -0000, "Knowlege is Powder"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >I have a poor working memory therefore i need to be able to click on quite
> >frequently every 25-50 paces.
> >
> >Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?
> >

> Fingers. Practice your binary and you'll find you have more than
> enough.

1064? I never did manage to master the art, although I could get to 32
on one hand if I thought very hard about it...

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

I've used just a click counter - it does rely on you clicking for every step
and it is easy to lose track but it works

Rob

"Knowlege is Powder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am looking for a suitable pace counter for walking,
>
> It cant be electronic as the qualification I am taking wont allow that.
>
> I have a poor working memory therefore i need to be able to click on quite
> frequently every 25-50 paces.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?

In article <[email protected]>,
Dundonald <[email protected]> writes

>Knowlege is Powder wrote:
>> I am looking for a suitable pace counter for walking,
>>
>> It cant be electronic as the qualification I am taking wont allow that.
>>
>> I have a poor working memory therefore i need to be able to click on quite
>> frequently every 25-50 paces.
>>
>> Has anyone got any ideas for what I could use?

>Sounds daft but one simply idea would be to have a string necklace with
>beeds. For every set number of steps you could swap a beed from one
>side of the knot to the other. So for example if you're aware that 65
>ish steps equals 100m (roughly), 10 beads will tell you you've
>travelled 1km. Simple yet effective.

You need to be very careful when you do this sort of thing, it is
surprising how the smallest occurrence can cause confusion.

I recall measuring the distance between two points for a run of 33kV
underground cable. There were three of us involved and after measuring
2,600 feet in 100's of feet the count was lost and there was only one
thing for it - start again :-(

A simple distraction upset the apple cart !
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:03:09 +0000, Simon Caldwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>Interesting. I could only get to 31.

>32 = no fingers :)

Bah!

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those
who do not.

Judith