Pace Forks

> One thing I don't think I've ever seen mentioned here are Pace forks. They used to rule back in
> the day - have they just turned **** now?

Looks like the last Pace fork thread occurred in 2001.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:56:53 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> blathered:

>One thing I don't think I've ever seen mentioned here are Pace forks. They used to rule back in the
>day - have they just turned **** now?

Can't comment on the new Hollowform forks.

The Evos I bought in 1998 are still going strong (on the Inbred) after a bushing change last year.
The steel stanchions are almost unmarked despite being 5 years old. Good all-day trail forks

The ProClass IIs I bought in late 2001 (only because I wanted a fork with disk mounts) are junk. I'd
sell them but my conscience won't let
me. Wobbly bushings that feel like a loose headset, flexy, 3 snapped springs, leaking dampener
(despite replacing the seals), and now out of lateral alignment by c.5mm. I know people who've
had problems with braces snapping.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

> One thing I don't think I've ever seen mentioned here are Pace forks. They used to rule back in
> the day - have they just turned **** now?

I had a pair of the Pace RC35 forks, the atmosphere balanced ones :) about 8 years ago, back when
forks had 50mm travel and lightweight stuff ruled. They were pretty good, especially as Rockshox and
Marzocchi forks sucked. They weren't so good when the spring revolution came around and I decided to
swap some cut down speed springs for the stock elastomers. Apparently steel springs rubbing on
carbon fibre is a BAD thing..

It seems like their competitors picked the game up though (ok, so not rockshox..) whereas they
didn't really progress, they were a bit pricey for the performance they offered IMHO. The new models
look like their best forks for a while though, if I wanted new suspension forks I would probably
consider them..

Oh and for some reason*, I've just bought a pair of the pimpy RC31 rigids to go on my Ti Inbred.
They do look worryingly light and carbon fibrery though...

Steve E.

* reason = closeout cheap and I wanted a fully rigid bike that wasn't too harsh

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> One thing I don't think I've ever seen mentioned here are Pace forks. They used to rule back in
> the day - have they just turned **** now?

New Hollowform are superb. Like Pete Jones said there was a problem with the magnesium braces
cracking on the Pro Class III, it happened on mine, but I got a new set on warranty after talking to
LBS owner and they've been fine since. No other problems with them and they still look the mutts
nuts Martin

> One thing I don't think I've ever seen mentioned here are Pace forks. They used to rule back in
> the day - have they just turned **** now?
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

I think the thing that set Pace apart in the early days was the solidity of the construction. The
RC35 was well braced and steered much better than contemporary Mag/Quadra and those Marzocchi XC
whateveritwas. Strikes me that more recently developments have centred around more sophisticated
internals, and the want-one-cool factor of the Bomber range has kind of eclipsed Northern
materials geekery.

That and the fact they're almost never discounted (from what I can see) would be my 2 proverbial.

Andy Chequer

Pace invested a lot in there new carbon fibre lowerey thingys and this meant they didn't do anything
REALLY new for a couple of years ... and in the vain world of mountain biking that's just to long

Their new forks are getting rave reviews so maybe they are on the way back

Cheers

Chris

"Pppplllleeeaaaseee Stop" - NPS Marshal

news:[email protected]...