Pace RC31

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Spademan O----L, May 7, 2003.

  1. I'm scared. I bought them in a shop closure clearout sale to put on my "canal towpath" bike - old
    frame which had been repaired numerous times. Now I've bought a new frame and intend to ride
    "proper" off-road stuff on it. They look ace, but I dunno, just looking at them scares me. I think
    they will have to go..

    Am I being unduly paranoid?

    Any recommendations for a replacement rigid fork that isn't too harsh?

    Cheers,

    Steve E.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm scared. I bought them in a shop closure clearout sale to put on my "canal towpath" bike - old
    > frame which had been repaired numerous times.
    Now
    > I've bought a new frame and intend to ride "proper" off-road stuff on it. They look ace, but I
    > dunno, just looking at them scares me. I think they will have to go..
    >
    > Am I being unduly paranoid?

    You might be. But it don't mean they're not after you. Unless they're particularly well used or
    abused they should hold up fine.

    > Any recommendations for a replacement rigid fork that isn't too harsh?

    I liked the old Marin RockStar forks, quite bendy in the vertical plane, less buzzy than P2s or
    probably those Paces for that matter. My old Tequesta had some after the original forks went all
    low-rider on me one day. I got some funny looks riding it home.....

    Andy Chequer

  3. "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm scared. I bought them in a shop closure clearout sale to put on my "canal towpath" bike - old
    > frame which had been repaired numerous times.
    Now
    > I've bought a new frame and intend to ride "proper" off-road stuff on it. They look ace, but I
    > dunno, just looking at them scares me. I think they will have to go..
    >
    > Am I being unduly paranoid?
    >
    > Any recommendations for a replacement rigid fork that isn't too harsh?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve E.

    I thought the RC31's were supposed to be pretty absorbent due to the carbon fibre.

    I considered a set of these for my SS but went with bombers in the end!

    Justin

  4. "Justin Haskins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm scared. I bought them in a shop closure clearout sale to put on my "canal towpath" bike -
    > > old frame which had been repaired numerous times.
    > Now
    > > I've bought a new frame and intend to ride "proper" off-road stuff on
    it.
    > > They look ace, but I dunno, just looking at them scares me. I think they will have to go..
    > >
    > > Am I being unduly paranoid?
    > >
    > > Any recommendations for a replacement rigid fork that isn't too harsh?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Steve E.
    > >

    > I thought the RC31's were supposed to be pretty absorbent due to the
    carbon
    > fibre.
    >
    > I considered a set of these for my SS but went with bombers in the end!
    >
    > Justin

    Absorbant yes, they are supposed to soak up trail vibrations better than a normal cro-mo fork.
    However I am a little bit nervous about the carbon fibre failing without warning, at least with
    cro-mo there might be some signs i.e. paint flaking off etc.

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > I'm scared. I bought them in a shop closure clearout sale to put on my "canal towpath" bike - old
    > frame which had been repaired numerous times. Now I've bought a new frame and intend to ride
    > "proper" off-road stuff on it. They look ace, but I dunno, just looking at them scares me. I think
    > they will have to go..
    >
    > Am I being unduly paranoid?

    I think you probably are, but no doubt it will always be troubling you at the back of your mind.
    Not a good idea to have something on there that you don't have full trust in because it will hinder
    your riding.

    > Any recommendations for a replacement rigid fork that isn't too harsh?

    The forks that match the frame (?)

    Of course, if you don't want the RC31's any more...

  6. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > > I'm scared. I bought them in a shop closure clearout sale to put on my "canal towpath" bike -
    > > old frame which had been repaired numerous times.
    Now
    > > I've bought a new frame and intend to ride "proper" off-road stuff on
    it.
    > > They look ace, but I dunno, just looking at them scares me. I think they will have to go..
    > >
    > > Am I being unduly paranoid?
    >
    > I think you probably are, but no doubt it will always be troubling you at the back of your mind.
    > Not a good idea to have something on there that you don't have full trust in because it will
    > hinder your riding.
    >
    > > Any recommendations for a replacement rigid fork that isn't too harsh?
    >
    > The forks that match the frame (?)

    Ah the Ti "on-ones" - To be honest I think I am looking more at the steel versions. Forks bend and
    I'd rather bend a steel one than a Ti one.. and not that bothered about the weight.

    > Of course, if you don't want the RC31's any more...

    I've had offers for them in the region of 100 quid, if you want them let me know and I'll sell them
    to you a bit cheaper.

    BTW thought it was quiet in here recently, just checked google and I've missed sh*tloads of messages
    that my newsserver didn't download. So in follow-up to the random thoughts reply -

    Very nice

    I agree

    At least I don't ride a singlespeed.

    People look at me funny at work when I make them? I don't get it - they're lurvely.

    Steve E.

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Andy Chequer <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm scared. I bought them in a shop closure clearout sale to put on my "canal towpath" bike -
    > > old frame which had been repaired numerous times.
    > Now
    > > I've bought a new frame and intend to ride "proper" off-road stuff on
    it.
    > > They look ace, but I dunno, just looking at them scares me. I think they will have to go..
    > >
    > > Am I being unduly paranoid?
    >
    > You might be. But it don't mean they're not after you. Unless they're particularly well used or
    > abused they should hold up fine.
    >
    > > Any recommendations for a replacement rigid fork that isn't too harsh?
    >
    > I liked the old Marin RockStar forks, quite bendy in the vertical plane, less buzzy than P2s or
    > probably those Paces for that matter. My old
    Tequesta
    > had some after the original forks went all low-rider on me one day. I got some funny looks riding
    > it home.....

    Heh - that's what killed my steel fully rigid SS - cheapo steel forks didn't much like that 2+ foot
    stair drop to flat and folded nicely.

    Shaun aRe - wish I could find a set of 1" threaded steel forks with a long enough steerer to
    resurrect that old yellow beast.

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:

    >>>Any recommendations for a replacement rigid fork that isn't too harsh?
    >>
    >>The forks that match the frame (?)
    >

    > Ah the Ti "on-ones" - To be honest I think I am looking more at the steel versions. Forks bend and
    > I'd rather bend a steel one than a Ti one.. and not that bothered about the weight.

    Fair enough, but you'd have to do a respray job.

    >>Of course, if you don't want the RC31's any more...
    >

    > I've had offers for them in the region of 100 quid, if you want them let me know and I'll sell
    > them to you a bit cheaper.

    Hmm, not right now (got some major expenses going out). If you've still got them in a couple of
    months then I may well be interested.

  9. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >>The forks that match the frame (?)
    > >

    > > Ah the Ti "on-ones" - To be honest I think I am looking more at the
    steel
    > > versions. Forks bend and I'd rather bend a steel one than a Ti one.. and
    not
    > > that bothered about the weight.
    >
    > Fair enough, but you'd have to do a respray job.

    I'm not sure what you mean, I meant if they bent they would be cheaper to replace. OTOH If you meant
    because they are only available in white ATM then you'd be right, black is the only colour..

    > > I've had offers for them in the region of 100 quid, if you want them let
    me
    > > know and I'll sell them to you a bit cheaper.
    >
    > Hmm, not right now (got some major expenses going out). If you've still got them in a couple of
    > months then I may well be interested.

    Okay, no probs, BTW do you have some project going on that you want to tell us about?

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > spademan o---[) * wrote:

    > > Fair enough, but you'd have to do a respray job.
    >
    > I'm not sure what you mean,

    You said that you'd rather have steel, because with steel, you could tell if they were failing
    because the paint would flake - he was being facetious ',;~}~

    > Okay, no probs, BTW do you have some project going on that you want to
    tell
    > us about?

    Rigid SS.

    Shaun aRe

  11. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:

    >>Fair enough, but you'd have to do a respray job.
    >

    > I'm not sure what you mean, I meant if they bent they would be cheaper to replace.

    I got that.

    OTOH If you meant because they are only available in white ATM then
    > you'd be right, black is the only colour..

    This is what I was referring to. White forks on a ti frame? Ugh!

    >>Hmm, not right now (got some major expenses going out). If you've still got them in a couple of
    >>months then I may well be interested.
    >>

    > Okay, no probs, BTW do you have some project going on that you want to tell us about?

    I'm trying to knock together a commuter / hack SS. I've got a load of bits together, but I'm lacking
    a frame, forks and wheels. Every time I get enough cash together, I get hit by a big outlay. Last
    month's was a grand in fines and tax at Zurich airport. Arse.

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>>Fair enough, but you'd have to do a respray job.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure what you mean,
    >

    > You said that you'd rather have steel, because with steel, you could tell if they were failing
    > because the paint would flake - he was being facetious ',;~}~

    No, it's just that the On-One steel forks only come in white, which would look crap with a ti frame.

    >>Okay, no probs, BTW do you have some project going on that you want to
    >
    > tell
    >
    >>us about?
    >

    > Rigid SS.

    Yup. It's going crap...

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > spademan o---[) * wrote:
    >
    > >>Fair enough, but you'd have to do a respray job.
    > >

    > > I'm not sure what you mean, I meant if they bent they would be cheaper
    > > replace.
    >
    > I got that.
    >
    > OTOH If you meant because they are only available in white ATM then
    > > you'd be right, black is the only colour..
    >
    > This is what I was referring to. White forks on a ti frame? Ugh!
    >
    > >>Hmm, not right now (got some major expenses going out). If you've still got them in a couple of
    > >>months then I may well be interested.
    > >>

    > > Okay, no probs, BTW do you have some project going on that you want to
    tell
    > > us about?
    >
    > I'm trying to knock together a commuter / hack SS. I've got a load of bits together, but I'm
    > lacking a frame, forks and wheels.

    Heh - can't help you with any of that I'm afraid! What sort of frame are you after? Should be plenty
    of skinny CroMo/steel frames out there for cheap........

    > Every time I get enough cash together, I get hit by a big outlay. Last month's was a grand in
    > fines and tax at Zurich airport. Arse.

    Ach! WTF were the fines for?!?!?!?!?!

    Shaun aRe

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > >>I'm not sure what you mean,
    > >

    > > You said that you'd rather have steel, because with steel, you could
    tell if
    > > they were failing because the paint would flake - he was being facetious ',;~}~
    >
    > No, it's just that the On-One steel forks only come in white, which would look crap with a
    > ti frame.

    Heh - there's me thinking you wouldn't miss an opportunity to be fascetious! Oh well, wrong again,
    heheheheheh...............

    > >>Okay, no probs, BTW do you have some project going on that you want to
    > >
    > > tell
    > >
    > >>us about?
    > >

    > > Rigid SS.
    >
    > Yup. It's going crap...

    Whywassupwidit?

    Shaun aRe - lemme know if there's any bits and bobs you need and I'll keep my eye out/take a look
    through my big red box.

  15. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>I'm trying to knock together a commuter / hack SS. I've got a load of bits together, but I'm
    >>lacking a frame, forks and wheels.
    >

    > Heh - can't help you with any of that I'm afraid! What sort of frame are you after? Should be
    > plenty of skinny CroMo/steel frames out there for cheap........

    I'll probably go new with the frame, and SS specific too.

    >>Every time I get enough cash together, I get hit by a big outlay. Last month's was a grand in
    >>fines and tax at Zurich airport. Arse.
    >

    > Ach! WTF were the fines for?!?!?!?!?!

    Smuggling :) I screwed up, basically. I had to install some expensive stuff in our Swiss office, and
    didn't fill out an import declaration when I took all the stuff down there. I'm so used to doing
    this sort of stuff in the EU that it hadn't crossed my mind. Got caught walking through the green
    channel with thousands-worth in equipment and customs were none too impressed. Orignal tax amount,
    then doubled for no declaration and then a comparable amount in fines.

    About 2000 CHF all in (~1000 GBP). I've managed to reclaim some of it from the $company, but they're
    not best pleased about forking out for something that was my mistake. Lives and learns, eh?

  16. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>>Rigid SS.
    >>
    >>Yup. It's going crap...
    >

    > Whywassupwidit?

    It's missing frame, forks and wheels. In most peoples eyes, these are considered essential parts
    for a bike.

    Actually, I do have forks (ooh, Judy, Judy), and I'll convert my current wheels cos they're getting
    a bit old, so it's really just the frame I need.

    > Shaun aRe - lemme know if there's any bits and bobs you need and I'll keep my eye out/take a look
    > through my big red box.

    The only thing I think I'm really looking for is a 32t ring. Might need a bottom headset cup too,
    but I'll have to double check.

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > >>I'm trying to knock together a commuter / hack SS. I've got a load of bits together, but I'm
    > >>lacking a frame, forks and wheels.
    > >

    > > Heh - can't help you with any of that I'm afraid! What sort of frame are
    you
    > > after? Should be plenty of skinny CroMo/steel frames out there for cheap........
    >
    > I'll probably go new with the frame, and SS specific too.

    Rub it in why dontcha..............

    > >>Every time I get enough cash together, I get hit by a big outlay. Last month's was a grand in
    > >>fines and tax at Zurich airport. Arse.
    > >

    > > Ach! WTF were the fines for?!?!?!?!?!
    >
    > Smuggling :) I screwed up, basically. I had to install some expensive stuff in our Swiss office,
    > and didn't fill out an import declaration when I took all the stuff down there. I'm so used to
    > doing this sort of stuff in the EU that it hadn't crossed my mind. Got caught walking through the
    > green channel with thousands-worth in equipment and customs were none too impressed. Orignal tax
    > amount, then doubled for no declaration and then a comparable amount in fines.
    >
    > About 2000 CHF all in (~1000 GBP). I've managed to reclaim some of it from the $company, but
    > they're not best pleased about forking out for something that was my mistake. Lives and
    > learns, eh?

    will................

    Shaun aRe - Can't believe you had the nerve to knock me for commenting on
    stupidity......heheheheheh! ',;~}~

  18. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > >>Yup. It's going crap...
    > >

    > > Whywassupwidit?
    >
    > It's missing frame, forks and wheels. In most peoples eyes, these are considered essential parts
    > for a bike.

    Yeah, but moss peepz iz juss eejitz...............

    > Actually, I do have forks (ooh, Judy, Judy),

    What ya gonna do, take out all the junk and weld 'em?!?!?!?

    > and I'll convert my current wheels cos they're getting a bit old, so it's really just the frame I
    need.

    > > Shaun aRe - lemme know if there's any bits and bobs you need and I'll
    keep
    > > my eye out/take a look through my big red box.
    >
    > The only thing I think I'm really looking for is a 32t ring. Might need a bottom headset cup too,
    > but I'll have to double check.

    SS specific?

    Shaun aRe

  19. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>I'll probably go new with the frame, and SS specific too.
    >

    > Rub it in why dontcha..............

    Hehe. Well, I figure it's going to see a lot of use, so I might as well get something nice. It's
    only a little over 200 nicker too.

    >>>Ach! WTF were the fines for?!?!?!?!?!
    >>
    >>Smuggling :) I screwed up, basically. I had to install some expensive stuff in our Swiss office,
    >>and didn't fill out an import declaration when I took all the stuff down there. I'm so used to
    >>doing this sort of stuff in the EU that it hadn't crossed my mind. Got caught walking through the
    >>green channel with thousands-worth in equipment and customs were none too impressed. Orignal tax
    >>amount, then doubled for no declaration and then a comparable amount in fines.
    >>
    >>About 2000 CHF all in (~1000 GBP). I've managed to reclaim some of it from the $company, but
    >>they're not best pleased about forking out for something that was my mistake. Lives and
    >>learns, eh?
    >

    > will................

    Indeed it will. Seems obvious in hindsight, but I was so caught up in the work I had to do, I
    hadn't even considered it. Even when the customs guy was questioning me, it still didn't even
    cross my mind.

    > Shaun aRe - Can't believe you had the nerve to knock me for commenting on
    > stupidity......heheheheheh! ',;~}~

    Have a good weekend, I'm off for a spot of international rugger against Austria.

  20. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>Actually, I do have forks (ooh, Judy, Judy),
    >

    > What ya gonna do, take out all the junk and weld 'em?!?!?!?

    Nah, I'll just keep 'em on till I get some nice rigids.

    >>The only thing I think I'm really looking for is a 32t ring. Might need a bottom headset cup too,
    >>but I'll have to double check.
    >

    > SS specific?

    Don't be silly, you don't get SS specific headsets. Cuh!

    :)