paced world record

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike Murray, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Mike Murray

    Mike Murray Guest

    I seem to remember that the world paced speed record was recently broken but I can't seem to find
    any info on that. Anybody remember who, where, when etc?

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Doesn't John Howard have it for some distance and the maximum speed is something like 118 mph behind
    a race car at Bonneville dry lake set by a German guy?

    "Mike Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to remember that the world paced speed record was recently
    broken but
    > I can't seem to find any info on that. Anybody remember who, where,
    when
    > etc?

  3. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Mike Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I seem to remember that the world paced speed record was recently broken
    but
    > I can't seem to find any info on that. Anybody remember who, where, when etc?

    How recently?

    Only one I can remember is Fred Rompelberg, who clocked 268 km/h on Bonneville Salt Flats in 1995.
    As far as I know, he still holds it.

    Jeff

  4. Velocat

    Velocat Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:17:38 GMT, Tom Kunich wrote:
    >
    >>the maximum speed is something like 118 mph behind a race car at Bonneville dry lake set by a
    >>German guy?
    >

    > Almost 167 mph, and a Dutchman.
    > http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/Worldrecord/worldrecord.asp
    > http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/Worldrecord/livinglegend.asp

    Hell, up until 1940 the paced world record was about equal to the current sprint speed of the top
    pros (50mph, see other thread).

  5. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "VeloCat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Almost 167 mph, and a Dutchman.
    > > >
    > http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/Worldrecord/worldrecord.asp
    > > >
    > http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/Worldrecord/livinglegend.asp
    > > >

    > > Hell, up until 1940 the paced world record was about equal to the current sprint speed of the
    > > top pros (50mph, see other thread).
    > >

    > Ever hear of Charles Mile a Minute Murphy?
    >
    > http://www.arrts-arrchives.com/mmm.html

    The cool part is when they had to make the split second decision to pull him off the bike (from the
    caboose) once he got the record because the boards were coming to an end and no provision was made
    as to how he was going to slow down.