pacific coast highway rides

Ray Dunn

Guest
Does anybody know of some good rides along parts of the PCH (or is all of it good??) I'm planning a
trip coming in from Arizona and heading north from the LA area all the way to Washington, so
anything that might include some casual stuff (wine touring) and some gnarly climbs, etc.. would be
great. If there's some stretches of road (like around Big Sur) that I shouldn't miss, let me know.
I'm coming off of some downtime following surgery and I need something inspiring (other than
training in the local 110 degree heat).

Thanks, Ray

"Ray Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anybody know of some good rides along parts of the PCH (or is all of it good??) I'm planning
> a trip coming in from Arizona and heading north from the LA area all the way to Washington,

This time of year the prevailing winds are northerly. You'll most likely be encountering 15-25 mph
headwinds for much of your ride. Most people do the trip from north to south. If there's a chance of
reversing your direction I would highly recommend it.

> so anything that might include some casual stuff (wine touring) and some gnarly climbs, etc..
> would be great.

Never any gnarly climbs along the ocean but lot's of them, almost always up and down.

> If there's some stretches of road (like around Big Sur) that I shouldn't miss, let me know.

Big Sur is probably the most beautiful (and hilly stretch) of the CA coast. Although this time of
year be prepared for a lot of motor home traffic on narrow twisty roads.

> I'm coming off of some downtime following surgery and I need something inspiring (other than
> training in the local 110 degree heat).

It is possible to encounter those temps if you head inland. Right at the coast you won't.

You'll probably get a lot more information if you post this message to rec.bicycles.rides