pacific coast highway rides

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Ray Dunn, May 29, 2003.

  1. Ray Dunn

    Ray Dunn Guest

    Does anybody know of some good rides along parts of the PCH (or is all of it good??) I'm planning a
    trip coming in from Arizona and heading north from the LA area all the way to Washington, so
    anything that might include some casual stuff (wine touring) and some gnarly climbs, etc.. would be
    great. If there's some stretches of road (like around Big Sur) that I shouldn't miss, let me know.
    I'm coming off of some downtime following surgery and I need something inspiring (other than
    training in the local 110 degree heat).

    Thanks, Ray

    > Does anybody know of some good rides along parts of the PCH (or is all of it good??) I'm planning
    > a trip coming in from Arizona and heading north from the LA area all the way to Washington, so
    > anything that might include some casual stuff (wine touring) and some gnarly climbs, etc.. would
    > be great. If there's some stretches of road (like around Big Sur) that I shouldn't miss, let me
    > know. I'm coming off of some downtime following surgery and I need something inspiring (other than
    > training in the local 110 degree heat).

    _Bicycling the Pacific Coast_ is an excellent guide to the Pacific coast route. The book is written
    southbound, but you can read it backwards if you prefer.

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam <http://www.phred.org/~josh/> Updated Bicycle Touring Books List:
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/tourbooks.html

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Joshua Putnam wrote:

    >>Does anybody know of some good rides along parts of the PCH (or is all of it good??) I'm planning
    >>a trip coming in from Arizona and heading north from the LA area all the way to Washington, so
    >>anything that might include some casual stuff (wine touring) and some gnarly climbs, etc.. would
    >>be great. If there's some stretches of road (like around Big Sur) that I shouldn't miss, let me
    >>know. I'm coming off of some downtime following surgery and I need something inspiring (other than
    >>training in the local 110 degree heat).
    >

    > _Bicycling the Pacific Coast_ is an excellent guide to the Pacific coast route. The book is
    > written southbound, but you can read it backwards if you prefer.

    I second the recommendation for the book but would also suggest you follow the advice in the book
    to ride from north to south. You're much more likely to have tailwinds, the views are better from
    the coast side of the road, and in some sections the roads have better shoulders on the southbound
    side. We just got back from a beautiful ride from SF to Santa Barbara with tailwinds and sunshine
    every day.

  4. Ray Dunn

    Ray Dunn Guest

    Thanks guys- I'll probably ride in both directions (lots of ground to make up), and I'll get the
    book for sure.

    Ray

  5. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    "Ray Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anybody know of some good rides along parts of the PCH (or is all of it good??) I'm planning
    > a trip coming in from Arizona and heading north from the LA area all the way to Washington, so
    > anything that might include some casual stuff (wine touring) and some gnarly climbs, etc.. would
    > be great. If there's some stretches of road (like around Big Sur) that I shouldn't miss, let me
    > know. I'm coming off of some downtime following surgery and I need something inspiring (other than
    > training in the local 110 degree heat).
    >
    > Thanks, Ray

    The following links describe a couple of our club rides on parts of the PCH south of San Francisco.
    Big Sur is spectacular.

    http://www.sacwheelmen.org/wheelmen_webarticles/zodiacs/bigsur2002/bigsur.ht m

    http://home.att.net/~dlstorm/Missiontour.htm

    Be aware that you will likely have some head winds going south to north.

  6. Jens WöLken

    Jens WöLken Guest

    Hi ,

    in my opinion you shouldn't miss: fromt north to south:

    Avenue of the giants PCH at the Sonoma Coast Devils Slide Area Big Sur

    I would strongly recommend to go from north to south. We've had some really strong backwinds going
    from north to south and the spectacular views are on the east side of the road.

    Enjoy,

    Jens.