Pacifica Dr (San Diego)

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Ronde Chimp, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    Does anybody know what the avg and max gradient of Pacifica Drive in San Diego is? I tried plunking
    it into topozone but kept getting errors.

    Thx.

    Tags:

  2. Carl Ebert

    Carl Ebert Guest

    I found it on topozone and it looks very flat. There may be some climb near the end of the road as
    it goes up to Mt. Soledad. It is all residential.

    -------------
    Thou shalt use thine scraps to makes quilts for charity, so that those less fortunate may know they
    joy of sleeping beneath a quilt.

  3. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:31:06 GMT, "Carl Ebert" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I found it on topozone and it looks very flat. There may be some climb near the end of the road as
    >it goes up to Mt. Soledad. It is all residential.
    >

    >-------------
    >Thou shalt use thine scraps to makes quilts for charity, so that those less fortunate may know they
    >joy of sleeping beneath a quilt.

    Ahh, my bad, I guess it was Mt. Soledad I wanted the gradient of... it's one bitch of a climb...

  4. Carl Ebert

    Carl Ebert Guest

    No sure of the gradient from looking at the map in topozone. I have never climbed up to Mt. Soledad
    from Pacifica. I know climbing up it from Nautilus St. it was quite a climb. I would estimate about
    6 to 10 % at times. The view at the end is worth the climb.

    -------------
    Thou shalt use thine scraps to makes quilts for charity, so that those less fortunate may know they
    joy of sleeping beneath a quilt.

  5. Ronde Chimp <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:31:06 GMT, "Carl Ebert" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I found it on topozone and it looks very flat. There may be some climb near the end of the road
    > >as it goes up to Mt. Soledad. It is all residential.
    > >

    > >-------------
    > >Thou shalt use thine scraps to makes quilts for charity, so that those less fortunate may know
    > >they joy of sleeping beneath a quilt.
    > >

    > Ahh, my bad, I guess it was Mt. Soledad I wanted the gradient of... it's one bitch of a climb...

    Being in San Diego you can try what I think is the steepest hill I know of anywhere. It is in Spring
    Valley, on Cuyamaca Avenue north of Chestnut St. I don't know how they can pave a street this steep.

    I was going to post mapquest link but it is ridiculously long. Email me (using the below address)
    and I will send you directions if you are intersted.

    Tom treynolds at saintmail dot net

  6. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    >I was going to post mapquest link but it is ridiculously long. Email me (using the below address)
    >and I will send you directions if you are intersted.

    Use www.tinyurl.com to shrink jumbo links.

    Highly recommended.

    Chris Neary [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the
    elements I loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  7. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    Steeper than coming out of mission valley? I do Bachman and Ulrick a min. of 3 times a week, and
    they're getting pretty easy with a 39/23.

    Mark

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 "An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is." -- Tom Holub,