Pacing for Silvermine Time Trial???

DrWJODonnell

Aug 14, 2007
I am going to be participating in the Silvermine Time trial this weekend just outside of NY City. I have an idea of what I am planning on using for a pacing strategy, but I would appreciate any input from the power Gurus here.

The course is a 14.5 mile course with some short climbs and rollers. My FTP is in The 350-360 range. I did a flat 20 minute TT earlier this year at 380 watts, but I am sure I could not hold this wattage for an extra 10-15 minutes.

My question: What would you reccomend a strong TTist use for a pacing strategy.

I will be using a full aero setup, and prefer to stay seated. There are only afew sections with grades over 6% and they will only last a minute or two. Any advice from the gurus?

I will include the elevation profile here:

DrWJODonnell said:
I am going to be participating in the Silvermine Time trial this weekend just outside of NY City. I have an idea of what I am planning on using for a pacing strategy, but I would appreciate any input from the power Gurus here.

The course is a 14.5 mile course with some short climbs and rollers. My FTP is in The 350-360 range. I did a flat 20 minute TT earlier this year at 380 watts, but I am sure I could not hold this wattage for an extra 10-15 minutes.

My question: What would you reccomend a strong TTist use for a pacing strategy. I will include the elevation profile here:

I will be using a full aero setup, and prefer to stay seated. There are only afew sections with grades over 6% and they will only last a minute or two. Any advice from the gurus?
1. do you actively pace with power right now?
2. What's your bike+rider+kit mass?
3. Do you have a metric elevation profile?
4. Have you ridden the course or in this area? Are the ROADS as choppy as the Topozone (?) software would lead one to believe?
5. Have you linearized (segmented) the course already?

rmur17 said:
1. do you actively pace with power right now?
2. What's your bike+rider+kit mass?
3. Do you have a metric elevation profile?
4. Have you ridden the course or in this area? Are the ROADS as choppy as the Topozone (?) software would lead one to believe?
5. Have you linearized (segmented) the course already?
This is why I ask you guys. Way too smart for me :)

1. Yes. SRM. Usually divide into thirds
2. 83kg
3. That is the only elevation profile I have. Sorry
4. I have ridden the course. They are choppy, but most of the bumps you see are just small rollers. I would plow right through them.
5. I am not sure what you mean by segmented. I was planning on the dividing it into the initial climbing portion, the more or less flattish middle portion, the final climbing portion and the screaming finish. Don't know if that helps at all.

DrWJODonnell said:

1. Yes. SRM. Usually divide into thirds okay (in general I'd look at more)
2. 83kg ok
3. That is the only elevation profile I have. Sorry ok.I'll have to drag up that 5280 to estimate the grades.
4. I have ridden the course. They are choppy, but most of the bumps you see are just small rollers. I would plow right through them. Ah - key point - no point at all in modelling or worrying about pacing short hills and dips that are much better ridden on momentum and feel.
5. I am not sure what you mean by segmented. I was planning on the dividing it into the initial climbing portion, the more or less flattish middle portion, the final climbing portion and the screaming finish. Don't know if that helps at all.
Well taking the raw data literally, I'd have split this into about 10 segments per out & back leg. But from what you're saying one can basically lump the overall section with no net elevation change from mile ~4.5 to mile ~10.2 (foot of last climb) into the roller/ride-by-feel category? No problem at all with that ...

DrWJODonnell said:

1. Yes. SRM. Usually divide into thirds
2. 83kg
3. That is the only elevation profile I have. Sorry
4. I have ridden the course. They are choppy, but most of the bumps you see are just small rollers. I would plow right through them.
did you get my PM and email + attachments?

rmur17 said:
no feedback on the race?

found it

Senior Men (cats P12345)
1 129 Roger Aspholm Westwood Velo 0:33:21
2 131 Kenneth Lundgren Northeastern Hardware 0:33:46
3 130 William Odonnell Westwood Velo 0:33:54
4 132 Michael Gisler Westwood Velo 0:34:36
5 127 Troy Kimball Westwood Velo 0:34:49
6 128 J.p. Partland High Gear Cyclery 0:36:34
7 123 Matt Pascale DC Racing 0:36:54

PSUcycling said: