Package for Kirsten Gum

R15757

Guest
On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel win a stage. Then she put her
hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said, "he's got those niiice
thighss...."

What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when commenting on a womens'
event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's got that insane ass!!!" (caressing
imaginary ass)

OLN's coverage is increasingly bizarre.

Robert

In news:R15757 <[email protected]> typed:
> On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel win a stage. Then she put
> her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said, "he's got those
> niiice thighss...."
>
> What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when commenting on a womens'
> event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's got that insane ass!!!" (caressing
> imaginary ass)

Do you *really* think there's *not* a double standard in TV? ;-)
--
Mike

Maybe she was chewing Double Mint. -tom

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] (R15757) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel win a stage. Then she put
> her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said, "he's got those
> niiice thighss...."
>
> What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when commenting on a womens'
> event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's got that insane ass!!!" (caressing
> imaginary ass)
>
> OLN's coverage is increasingly bizarre.
>
> Robert

Quit your baby crying! When women are equal in all areas of society, then be offended by it. When a
man says it it's 10 times more offensive because women are objectified 100 times more than men
are--deal with
it.

Kurt

"Mike Speegle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In news:R15757 <[email protected]> typed:
> > On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel win a stage. Then she put
> > her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said, "he's got those
> > niiice thighss...."
> >
> > What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when commenting on a womens'
> > event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's got that insane ass!!!" (caressing
> > imaginary ass)
>
> Do you *really* think there's *not* a double standard in TV? ;-)

There's a double standard in our culture in general.

>From: [email protected] (Kurt)

>Quit your baby crying! When women are equal in all areas of society, then be offended by it. When a
>man says it it's 10 times more offensive because women are objectified 100 times more than men
>are--deal with
>it.
>
>Kurt

Whhaaaaa! Quit your PC whining. Bill C

"R15757" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel
win a
> stage. Then she put her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said,
> "he's got those niiice thighss...."

Make you jealous? You would probably like some of Zabel, huh?

> What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when
commenting
> on a womens' event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's
got
> that insane ass!!!" (caressing imaginary ass)

They do all of the time.

They ought to put a couple more like Kristen Gum on OLN.

New people to the sport need some outrageous comments from time to time, makes it more interesting
for them and for people with a sense of humor.
<G>

Dashii

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:51:05 -0700, Dashi Toshii wrote:

> They ought to put a couple more like Kristen Gum on OLN.
>
> New people to the sport need some outrageous comments from time to time, makes it more interesting
> for them and for people with a sense of humor.

I agree 100%

Kirsten Gum is the best thing that ever happened to OLN

"Kurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (R15757) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel
win a
> > stage. Then she put her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said,
> > "he's got those niiice thighss...."
> >
> > What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when
commenting
> > on a womens' event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's
got
> > that insane ass!!!" (caressing imaginary ass)
> >
> > OLN's coverage is increasingly bizarre.
> >
> > Robert
>
> Quit your baby crying! When women are equal in all areas of society, then be offended by it. When
> a man says it it's 10 times more offensive because women are objectified 100 times more than men
> are--deal with
> it.
>
> Kurt

When women are "equal in all areas of society"? What the hell does that mean? I thought what counted
was equal opportunity?

> >From: [email protected] (Kurt)
>
> >Quit your baby crying! When women are equal in all areas of society, then be offended by it. When
> >a man says it it's 10 times more offensive because women are objectified 100 times more than men
> >are--deal with
> >it.
> >
> >Kurt
> >

> Whhaaaaa! Quit your PC whining.

In what way is what he wrote PC?

Mike Speegle wrote:

> In news:R15757 <[email protected]> typed:
>
>>On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel win a stage. Then she put
>>her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said, "he's got those
>>niiice thighss...."
>>
>>What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when commenting on a womens'
>>event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's got that insane ass!!!" (caressing
>>imaginary ass)
>

> Do you *really* think there's *not* a double standard in TV? ;-)

"art" imitates life....

Actually, my gripe with Kirsten Gum runs a little deeper. Sherwen, Liggett, and Roll are fantastic
announcers and make glorious commentary about cycle racing's provenance. Gum, on the other hand, is
more suited to doing the color on Fox Football or for the WWF. She knows nothing about bike
racing....her comments are shallow and trite ...she yells into the camera....and her head bobs up
and down more times than one of those spring-loaded toy dogs in the back window of a low-rider. If
OLN needs a female foil to Bob Roll's interesting color pieces, and least they could get someone who
is equally articulate, witty, interesting, knowledgeable and, as a final bonus, can pronounce L Alpe
D Huez so it doesn't sound like ElmerFudsville, USA.

[email protected] (R15757) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel win a stage. Then she put
> her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said, "he's got those
> niiice thighss...."
>
> What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when commenting on a womens'
> event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's got that insane ass!!!" (caressing
> imaginary ass)
>
> OLN's coverage is increasingly bizarre.
>
> Robert

Odessa in '04!

"GreatCube" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Actually, my gripe with Kirsten Gum runs a little deeper. Sherwen, Liggett, and Roll are fantastic
> announcers and make glorious commentary about cycle racing's provenance. Gum, on the other hand,
> is more suited to doing the color on Fox Football or for the WWF. She knows nothing about bike
> racing....her comments are shallow and trite ...she yells into the camera....and her head bobs up
> and down more times than one of those spring-loaded toy dogs in the back window of a low-rider. If
> OLN needs a female foil to Bob Roll's interesting color pieces, and least they could get someone
> who is equally articulate, witty, interesting, knowledgeable and, as a final bonus, can pronounce
> L Alpe D Huez so it doesn't sound like ElmerFudsville, USA.

> [email protected] (R15757) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel
win a
> > stage. Then she put her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said,
> > "he's got those niiice thighss...."
> >
> > What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when
commenting
> > on a womens' event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's
got
> > that insane ass!!!" (caressing imaginary ass)
> >
> > OLN's coverage is increasingly bizarre.
> >
> > Robert

[email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >From: "Kurgan Gringioni" [email protected]
>
> >In what way is what he wrote PC?
>
> > When women are equal in all areas of society,
> >> >

> My take is that it is all PC. If men do it it's evil 'cause men are evil. When women do it it's
> Ok. Double standards are PC ****. This goes along with racism is OK as long as it's done in the
> name of diversity.

Interesting response. People usually throw out the "you're being PC" when someone is telling someone
else to be quiet because they're being offensive with what they're saying. Although I did tell the
original poster to quit crying, in fact they were telling Kristen to lid because her making comments
about his legs was getting him in a wad (In fact doing what those who get accused of being PC do).

I just gave an explanation as to why it's okay for her to say it in the context of our society and
women's place in it. Sorry you can't come to terms in your brain with double standards.

> I won't even go into the conversation I walked into a while ago at a race where a batch of the
> women were arguing about which male racer had the best ass.

I would laugh. Since men's asses are so low on the pole with regards to their value in society,
women's asses, on the other hand--much much higher.

> He is making a blanket steroetype. That is garbage. If he wants to make individual cases I'd be
> happy to form an opinion based on hearing all facets, from both sides.

Who is stereotyping? We heard a male response, I gave a response from the female side.

Kurt

> Bill C

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (R15757) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel
> win a
> > > stage. Then she put her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and
> > > said, "he's got those niiice thighss...."
> > >
> > > What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when
> commenting
> > > on a womens' event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's
> got
> > > that insane ass!!!" (caressing imaginary ass)
> > >
> > > OLN's coverage is increasingly bizarre.
> > >
> > > Robert
> >
> > Quit your baby crying! When women are equal in all areas of society, then be offended by it.
> > When a man says it it's 10 times more offensive because women are objectified 100 times more
> > than men are--deal with
> > it.
> >
> > Kurt
>
> When women are "equal in all areas of society"? What the hell does that mean? I thought what
> counted was equal opportunity?

It's pretty clear what that means. Equal opprtunity is just lip service and isn't a measure
of change.

Kurt

On 14 Jul 2003 10:19:23 -0700, Kurt <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> >From: "Kurgan Gringioni" [email protected] In what way is what he wrote
>> >PC? When women are equal in all areas of society,
>> offensive
>> >> >

>> My take is that it is all PC. If men do it it's evil 'cause men are evil. When women do it it's
>> Ok. Double standards are PC ****. This goes along with racism is OK as long as it's done in the
>> name of diversity.
>
> Interesting response. People usually throw out the "you're being PC" when someone is telling
> someone else to be quiet because they're being offensive with what they're saying. Although I did
> tell the original poster to quit crying, in fact they were telling Kristen to lid because her
> making comments about his legs was getting him in a wad (In fact doing what those who get accused
> of being PC do).
>
> I just gave an explanation as to why it's okay for her to say it in the context of our society and
> women's place in it. Sorry you can't come to terms in your brain with double standards.
>
>> I won't even go into the conversation I walked into a while ago at a race where a batch of the
>> women were arguing about which male racer had the best ass.
>
> I would laugh. Since men's asses are so low on the pole with regards to their value in society,
> women's asses, on the other hand--much much higher.
>
>> He is making a blanket steroetype. That is garbage. If he wants to make individual cases I'd be
>> happy to form an opinion based on hearing all facets, from both sides.
>
> Who is stereotyping? We heard a male response, I gave a response from the female side.
>
> Kurt
>
>> Bill C

Actually, I just want Kirsten to shut up. Give my Missy Giove or someone else who at least had
actually ridden a bike before and has a clue about bike racing. Kirsten is pure fluff. In fact, just
give me the big three and let them commentate with no one else.

By the way, if you want to get in a fight about this, go to soc.men. You can fight there
all you want.

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

OLN here in Canada show KG and Bobke a total of 1-2 minutes per day. I can live with that.

"GreatCube" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Actually, my gripe with Kirsten Gum runs a little deeper. Sherwen, Liggett, and Roll are fantastic
> announcers and make glorious commentary about cycle racing's provenance. Gum, on the other hand,
> is more suited to doing the color on Fox Football or for the WWF. She knows nothing about bike
> racing....her comments are shallow and trite ...she yells into the camera....and her head bobs up
> and down more times than one of those spring-loaded toy dogs in the back window of a low-rider. If
> OLN needs a female foil to Bob Roll's interesting color pieces, and least they could get someone
> who is equally articulate, witty, interesting, knowledgeable and, as a final bonus, can pronounce
> L Alpe D Huez so it doesn't sound like ElmerFudsville, USA.

> [email protected] (R15757) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > On today's OLN coverage, Kirsten Gum expressed her desire to see Zabel
win a
> > stage. Then she put her hands out in the air as if she were caressing an imaginary leg and said,
> > "he's got those niiice thighss...."
> >
> > What the F***? Can you imagine a man saying something like that when
commenting
> > on a womens' event? "Yeah I'd like to see Hingis win this match...She's
got
> > that insane ass!!!" (caressing imaginary ass)
> >
> > OLN's coverage is increasingly bizarre.
> >
> > Robert

"Kurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snip>

> It's pretty clear what that means. Equal opprtunity is just lip service and isn't a measure
> of change.
>
> Kurt

How would you measure change? Why would you even want to have "total equality" when it is not even
clear if most people want that? That is not reasonable. Men and women are different and there is
nothing anyone can do about it or should do about it.

Equal opportunity is not just lip service. It is the idea that the individuals can choose what kind
of equality they wish to pursue. I can't even imagine what else you think women would want that they
don't have.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> > It's pretty clear what that means. Equal opprtunity is just lip service and isn't a measure of
> > change.
> >
> > Kurt
>
> How would you measure change? Why would you even want to have "total equality" when it is not even
> clear if most people want that? That is not reasonable.

Economic measures would be a more objective measurement. Other types of data could be used, it's not
that difficult. I want equality because a huge amount of negative **** comes from inequality. It's
reasonable to me, is it not to you? Do you think someone would argue being equal? (you shouldn't use
quotations for something I didn't say, e.g. "total equality")

Men and women are different and there is nothing anyone can do
> about it or should do about it.

Actually the only differences that you can't do anything about are at the biological level, but I
suppose that's what you were referring to.
> Equal opportunity is not just lip service. It is the idea that the individuals can choose what
> kind of equality they wish to pursue. I can't even imagine what else you think women would want
> that they don't have.

Your last sentence is kind of sad. You're saying that there aren't inequalities I guess. Try to get
out some more. Equal opportunity can exist in a legal sense, which is why it's lip service. It
doesn't create equality, it only ends legalized discrimination. Ever wonder why an individuals
pursuit of equality may not end up with equality. There's more involved than just the individual.

Kurt

Kurt wrote:

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Kurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > It's pretty clear what that means. Equal opprtunity is just lip service and isn't a measure of
> > > change.
> > >
> > > Kurt
> >
> > How would you measure change? Why would you even want to have "total equality" when it is not
> > even clear if most people want that? That is not reasonable.
>
> Economic measures would be a more objective measurement. Other types of data could be used, it's
> not that difficult. I want equality because a huge amount of negative **** comes from inequality.
> It's reasonable to me, is it not to you? Do you think someone would argue being equal? (you
> shouldn't use quotations for something I didn't say, e.g. "total equality")

I want to be equal to you, or have you be equal to me, depending on which of us is more equal to
begin with.

> > Men and women are different and there is nothing anyone can do about it or should do about it.
>
> Actually the only differences that you can't do anything about are at the biological level, but I
> suppose that's what you were referring to.

You have proof for this?

> > Equal opportunity is not just lip service. It is the idea that the individuals can choose what
> > kind of equality they wish to pursue. I can't even imagine what else you think women would want
> > that they don't have.
>
> Your last sentence is kind of sad. You're saying that there aren't inequalities I guess. Try to
> get out some more. Equal opportunity can exist in a legal sense, which is why it's lip service. It
> doesn't create equality, it only ends legalized discrimination. Ever wonder why an individuals
> pursuit of equality may not end up with equality. There's more involved than just the individual.
>
> Kurt

The popular concept of group "equality" measured by outcomes proceeds from two faulty assumptions:

1. That any arbitrary division of humanity into groups results in groups of equal ability and equal
economic viability. This is taken by liberals as an article of faith. It results in enormous
frustration when the groups end up unequal because the conclusion must be that something is wrong
with the system and not with the group on the short end. Furthermore each group is beyond inquiry
concerning its own shortcomings because it is assumed to be equal and any evidence to the
contrary assumed to be part of the problem.

2. That by "correcting" the system that produces inequality it will produce equality. The problem
here is that the conscious changing of the system to favor the "disadvantaged" group produces a
reliance on the system rather than one's own efforts to produce results. This counterbalances the
changes to the system leaving the inequality of outcomes just as unequal as it was to begin with,
leading to more change in the system and a cycle of failure.

What else can you assume to be equal without measuring? And then when you measure and find a
difference you assume something must be wrong with the measurement?

On the other hand, if you lay down the ground rules and assume that groups are unequal, each group
will seek to overcome its shortcomings in order to be all it can be. Rules designed to favor one
group over another without a valid economic reason, such as Jim Crow laws are fairly evident on
their faces. But the focus on groups is self-defeating to begin with because all that does is
produce excuses for individual failure. It is pointless to compare yourself to other groups when you
are not even equal within your own group. As long as individuals are not equal, groups will not be
equal. And maximizing your potential is something done over time and not by fiat.