Packaging a frame

amazinmets73

Aug 11, 2010
I recently sold a frame on eBay and was quoted $140 for shipping from UPS. I decided to charge the buyer $100, on the assumption that I could get the shipping cost down with efficient boxing. I'm planning to use UPS ground. I've yet to purchase boxes. It's a 56cm frame with 44cm handlebars, has groupset installed.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20160308_162748.jpg
    20160308_162748.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 7
Purchase???

1. Go to a bike shop and ask for a couple bike boxes. They are usually glad to get rid of them.
2. Cut one box to needed frame shipping size. Secure new seams with packaging tape.
3. Use second box to make panels to double-wall the sides, ends and floor of the outer box.
4. Roll up cardboard strips to make anti-crush blocks and tape in place inside the box in 4 or 5 locations.
5. Wrap frap tubes in foam strips salvaged from bike shop trash dumpster and fill air space in the box with either packaging peanuts or more crumpled up foam or those protective air bags used to ship stuff.

It is also a good idea to make spacer rolls from cardboard for the rear drop outs and fork tips.

If it were me, I would remove the rear derailleur and chain an package them in separate small boxes taped securely to the floor of the large frame box.

FYI ...

FedEx GROUND service is usually significantly less expensive than almost all other carriers ...​