Packing a VREX for air travel.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by hawesgb, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. hawesgb

    hawesgb Guest

    How do you pack a rans seat in a bicycle box? Isn't the the seat wider then the box?

    Tags:

  2. Billydean

    Billydean Guest

    The seat is shipped in a separate (wider) box, with the wheels when new

    > How do you pack a rans seat in a bicycle box? Isn't the the seat wider then the box?

    If you are using a "standard" airline bike box, you can 'nest' the seat perpendicular to the frame.
    Place the back base of the seat around the frame. (The seat makes an "L" shape, the frame goes
    inside the "L".) The area from the point of the "L" perpendicular to an imaginary line drawn
    connecting the two ends (the nose and the top of the seat) is about 8". The distance from the nose
    to the top of the seat IIRC is ~ 25" which is less than the distance from the ground to the top of
    the seat on a DF bicycle.

    You should severely pad the chainrings also to minimize damage.

    Domestic Airlines will charge you an excess/oversize baggage fee each way for each oversize bag.
    (you want to have only one or less) Currently this fee is running $75-$100.

    FWIW a Voyager option on a P-38 will pay for itself in six flights. (Three more US flights to go!)
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Drrecumbnt

    Drrecumbnt Guest

    A friend of mine bought a Crateworks shipping box for his V-Rex. He installed the QR crank bolts for
    his Shimano 105 crank, and an Angletech seat hinge kit. He got the complete bike into the rather
    small box to ship to Europe for a bike tour. Bob Bryant http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

  5. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Domestic Airlines will charge you an excess/oversize baggage fee each way for each oversize bag.
    > (you want to have only one or less) Currently this fee is running $75-$100.

    I believe it's NorthWest that waives this fee if you're a member of Adventure Cycling. Interesting
    that there's no extra charge for golf clubs, even though they're often heavier than a bike and just
    as awkward and over-sized. Hey, maybe my mono-tube bike frame would fit in a golf bag ;p

    Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB, OSS Lubbock, TX, USA