Pad Spacers for Disc Brakes - where???

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Candt, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Candt

    Candt Guest

    Seems like a silly question - but I've never seen them on sale anywhere. My deore hyd discs came
    stock on my new bike - and I have didnt get any. I want to change the pads, and give the brakes an
    overhaul - but don't have any pad spacers to help me re-assembled them correctly.

    Can I just use the disc rotor? Any other home mechanic tips for something to use?

    Cheers,

    CandT

    Tags:

  2. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:41:48 GMT, CandT <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Seems like a silly question - but I've never seen them on sale anywhere. My deore hyd discs came
    >stock on my new bike - and I have didnt get any. I want to change the pads, and give the brakes an
    >overhaul - but don't have any pad spacers to help me re-assembled them correctly.
    >
    >Can I just use the disc rotor? Any other home mechanic tips for something to use?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >CandT

    And also the split pins that hold the pads in place !! No-one seems to sell them either

    CandT

  3. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    CandT wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:41:48 GMT, CandT <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Seems like a silly question - but I've never seen them on sale anywhere. My deore hyd discs came
    >>stock on my new bike - and I have didnt get any. I want to change the pads, and give the brakes an
    >>overhaul - but don't have any pad spacers to help me re-assembled them correctly.
    >>
    >>Can I just use the disc rotor? Any other home mechanic tips for something to use?

    I've never used any spacers, and never had any problem pushing back the pistons when necessary (Hope
    open 4 in my case). When bleeding them off the bike, I folded up some cardboard to a decent
    thickness and used that. I can't really imagine anyone makes a product called 'pad spacers' for this
    purpose, but of course ICBW.

    > And also the split pins that hold the pads in place !! No-one seems to sell them either

    Prolli reusable if you're careful, but surely any hardware store will have them (I just happened to
    notice some in my local DIY shop yesterday while I was buying something else).

    James

  4. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:25:31 +0900, James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >CandT wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:41:48 GMT, CandT <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Seems like a silly question - but I've never seen them on sale anywhere. My deore hyd discs came
    >>>stock on my new bike - and I have didnt get any. I want to change the pads, and give the brakes
    >>>an overhaul - but don't have any pad spacers to help me re-assembled them correctly.
    >>>
    >>>Can I just use the disc rotor? Any other home mechanic tips for something to use?
    >>>

    >I've never used any spacers, and never had any problem pushing back the pistons when necessary
    >(Hope open 4 in my case). When bleeding them off the bike, I folded up some cardboard to a decent
    >thickness and used that. I can't really imagine anyone makes a product called 'pad spacers' for
    >this purpose, but of course ICBW.
    >
    >> And also the split pins that hold the pads in place !! No-one seems to sell them either
    >
    >Prolli reusable if you're careful, but surely any hardware store will have them (I just happened to
    >notice some in my local DIY shop yesterday while I was buying something else).
    >
    >James

    Cheers for that - I've heard they are available in DIY stores - will pop down my local B&Q today.

    As regards the spacers - In the Shimano manual for the disc brakes - they are mentioned there - they
    have a shimano part number too. But I'll use the cardboard trick ;-)

    CandT

  5. CandT wrote:

    > Any other home mechanic tips for something to use?

    I have some plastic wedges which are used to keep tongue-and-groove floorboards the correct distance
    from the kerb, er, wall. These are ideal for the task of disciplining Hope discs...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul, James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > CandT wrote:

    > > And also the split pins that hold the pads in place !! No-one seems to sell them either

    Split pins or R clips? My Shimano mechanical discs have R clips that retain the pins that
    retain the pads.

    > Prolli reusable if you're careful, but surely any hardware store will have them (I just happened
    > to notice some in my local DIY shop yesterday while I was buying something else).

    If R-clips, prolli not small enough though - one of mine has gone missing and so far three bike
    shops, three hardwars shops and B&Q have not had anything snall enough (though all teh hardware
    shops had teh right sort of clip in bigger sizes). I've threadlocked the pin in place instead.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  7. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:05:17 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Jul, James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> CandT wrote:
    >
    >> > And also the split pins that hold the pads in place !! No-one seems to sell them either
    >
    >Split pins or R clips? My Shimano mechanical discs have R clips that retain the pins that retain
    >the pads.
    >
    >> Prolli reusable if you're careful, but surely any hardware store will have them (I just happened
    >> to notice some in my local DIY shop yesterday while I was buying something else).
    >
    >If R-clips, prolli not small enough though - one of mine has gone missing and so far three bike
    >shops, three hardwars shops and B&Q have not had anything snall enough (though all teh hardware
    >shops had teh right sort of clip in bigger sizes). I've threadlocked the pin in place instead.
    >
    >regards, Ian SMith

    Definitely split pins - and I've just found a box of 100 for 3 quid from RS... certainly the right
    length - hopefully the right diameter - we'll soon see ! To make the order worthwhile I picked up a
    lifetime supply of bearing grease and a 5L industrial degreaser too !

    CandT

  8. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On the subject of the split cotter pins I have on my deore hydraulics - something skew with the
    sizing figures !! measure the distance from one end to the other on the one on the bike - and it was
    32mm - ordered 32 mm ones, and they came today, but the 32mm is from below the loop to just inside
    the shorter pin leg! So it lloks like the sizing is for the thing its means to go through...

    Anyway - they are also thinner that the current ones - about half as thick - so 2 questions really.

    First - is it advisable to cut cotter pins to length? and second, will it matter if they are that
    much thinner - do they have to be a snug fit in the caliper?

    If they are cutable, but need to be the right thickness, I can probably order the thicker (but
    longer) ones from RS, and cut them to size...

    Or - if anyone knows the right dimensions, and where I can get them online, I'd really
    appreciate it...

    Cheers,

    CandT