Pad Thai

Limey

Guest
I love to sample the foods being offered by demonstrators
when I'm ambling around Costco.

Today I sampled some Pad Thai cooked from the frozen state
and fell in love with it. Knowing that frozen blends are
often different from the "real thing", does anyone have a
really good recipe that they enjoy?

Dora

--
[email protected]

limey at toad dot net

limey wrote:

> I love to sample the foods being offered by demonstrators
> when I'm ambling around Costco.
>
> Today I sampled some Pad Thai cooked from the frozen state
> and fell in love with it. Knowing that frozen blends are
> often different from the "real thing", does anyone have a
> really good recipe that they enjoy?

I just can't imagine a frozen Pad Thai being good,
because the textures and the fresh flavours are a big
factor in the dish.

I misplaced the recipe that I had had for a number of years,
but this one below is pretty close to it. You can add
chicken to it to, chopped up about the same as you would for
a stir fry. If you don't have fish sauce you can substitute
soya sauce.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/thai/00/rec0072.html

* Exported from MasterCook *

PHAT THAI (PAD THAI)

Recipe By : Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Thai Pasta Beef Rice

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method --------
------------ --------------------------------
- Darwin Smith WXWG27A
1/4 lb Dried rice stick noodles 2 tb Vegetable oil 1
tb Coarsley chopped garlic 8 Shrimp, peeled and
deveined (here you can use a 1/4 lb Of pork or beef
and more Shrimp) 1 Egg, lightly beaten 1 tb Fish
sauce 2 ts Sugar 2 tb Coarse chpd, dry-roasted
Peanuts 1 c Bean sprouts 4 Slender green onions, -
sliced in 1 inch length 1 Lime, quartered lengthwise

Soak rice noodles in warm water to cover for 15 to 20
minutes. Prepare all the remaining ingredients and place
them next to the stove, along with a small serving
platter. When the noodles are very limp and white, drain
and measure 2-1/2 cups. Set by the stove as well. The
idea is to keep everything warm. Heat Wok or large
skillet at medium-hi heat and add 1 tbs oil and swirl to
coat the surface. When oil if very hot drop in garlic and
toss until golden, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and toss
until they turn pink, for beef or pork until light brown,
no more that 1 min. for shrimp. Remove from pan and set
aside. Add the egg to pan and tilt the pan to spread it
into a thin sheet. As soon as it begins to set, scramble
it to break it into small lumps. Remove and set aside
with shrimp. Heat 1 tbs of oil in wok or skillet and heat
30 seconds and add soften noodles. Thin noodles to cover
the surface of the pan, then clump them together and
gently turn over. repeat this process until the noodles
soften and curl into ivory ringlets. Add fish sauce and
turn noodles to evenly season. Add sugar and peanuts and
continue to turn the noodles to season. Reserve some of
the bean sprouts, green onion for garnish. Add the bean
sprouts, green onions and the shrimp and egg mixture.
Cook for 1 minute, turning often. Transfer noodles to the
serving paltter and squeeze the juice of 2 lime wedges
over the top. Garnish with remaining beansprouts and lime
and serve at once. Serves 1 very hungry, or 2 appetizers.

limey wrote:

> [...]

into a thin sheet. As soon as it begins to set, scramble
it to break it into small lumps. Remove and set aside
with shrimp. Heat 1 tbs of oil in wok or skillet and heat
30 seconds and add soften noodles. Thin noodles to cover
the surface of the pan, then clump them together and
gently turn over. repeat this process until the noodles
soften and curl into ivory ringlets. Add fish sauce and
turn noodles to evenly season. Add sugar and peanuts and
continue to turn the noodles to season. Reserve some of
the bean sprouts, green onion for garnish. Add the bean
sprouts, green onions and the shrimp and egg mixture.
Cook for 1 minute, turning often. Transfer noodles to the
serving paltter and squeeze the juice of 2 lime wedges
over the top. Garnish with remaining beansprouts and lime
and serve at once. Serves 1 very hungry, or 2 appetizers.

"limey" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I love to sample the foods being offered by demonstrators
> when I'm ambling around Costco.
>
> Today I sampled some Pad Thai cooked from the frozen state
> and fell in love with it. Knowing that frozen blends are
> often different from the "real thing", does anyone have a
> really good recipe that they enjoy?
>
> Dora

I think I got this recipe here.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Pad Thai

none

8 ounces medium-wide rice noodles 3 tablespoons fish sauce 2
tablespoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar 2 tablespoons
granulated sugar 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 2 eggs; lightly
beaten 3 large cloves garlic; finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes 8 ounces large shrimp; peeled
and deveined 4 ounces tofu; sliced in thin strips 3 cups
bean sprouts 6 green onions; chopped
2/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
3/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts 1 lime; cut in wedges

In Thailand, this noodle dish is eaten at any time or in any
place - from restaurants to street stalls. Each cook adds a
personal touch. This version is lower in fat and uses easily
available ingredients.

1 Soak noodles in hot water for 20 minutes; drain. In
small bowl, mix together fish sauce, rice vinegar and
sugar; set aside.

2 In large nonstick wok or skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the
oil over medium-high heat; cook eggs, stirring, until
scrambled. Cut into strips; transfer to side dish.

3 Wipe out pan; add remaining oil. Stir-fry garlic, red
pepper flakes and shrimp for 2 minutes. Add tofu; stir-fry
for 1 minute or until shrimp are pink and opaque.

4 Add noodles and 1/2 cup water; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3
minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in fish sauce
mixture, bean sprouts and half of the onions; toss to mix
well. Transfer to serving dish. Top with eggs, remaining
onions, cilantro and peanuts. Garnish with lime.

Substitution: For a more authentic Thai dish, substitute 3
tablespoons dried chopped shrimp for the fresh. Pickled
white radish or salted cabbage
(4/4 cup) is often added. Tamarind paste or juice is used
instead of vinegar.

Contributor: Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking

Yield: 4 servings

Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
nothing but food and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.