Pad Thai

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Limey, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Limey

    Limey Guest

    I love to sample the foods being offered by demonstrators
    when I'm ambling around Costco.

    Today I sampled some Pad Thai cooked from the frozen state
    and fell in love with it. Knowing that frozen blends are
    often different from the "real thing", does anyone have a
    really good recipe that they enjoy?

    Dora

    --
    [email protected]

    limey at toad dot net

    Tags:

  2. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    limey wrote:

    > I love to sample the foods being offered by demonstrators
    > when I'm ambling around Costco.
    >
    > Today I sampled some Pad Thai cooked from the frozen state
    > and fell in love with it. Knowing that frozen blends are
    > often different from the "real thing", does anyone have a
    > really good recipe that they enjoy?

    I just can't imagine a frozen Pad Thai being good,
    because the textures and the fresh flavours are a big
    factor in the dish.

    I misplaced the recipe that I had had for a number of years,
    but this one below is pretty close to it. You can add
    chicken to it to, chopped up about the same as you would for
    a stir fry. If you don't have fish sauce you can substitute
    soya sauce.

    http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/thai/00/rec0072.html

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    PHAT THAI (PAD THAI)

    Recipe By : Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Thai Pasta Beef Rice

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method --------
    ------------ --------------------------------
    - Darwin Smith WXWG27A
    1/4 lb Dried rice stick noodles 2 tb Vegetable oil 1
    tb Coarsley chopped garlic 8 Shrimp, peeled and
    deveined (here you can use a 1/4 lb Of pork or beef
    and more Shrimp) 1 Egg, lightly beaten 1 tb Fish
    sauce 2 ts Sugar 2 tb Coarse chpd, dry-roasted
    Peanuts 1 c Bean sprouts 4 Slender green onions, -
    sliced in 1 inch length 1 Lime, quartered lengthwise

    Soak rice noodles in warm water to cover for 15 to 20
    minutes. Prepare all the remaining ingredients and place
    them next to the stove, along with a small serving
    platter. When the noodles are very limp and white, drain
    and measure 2-1/2 cups. Set by the stove as well. The
    idea is to keep everything warm. Heat Wok or large
    skillet at medium-hi heat and add 1 tbs oil and swirl to
    coat the surface. When oil if very hot drop in garlic and
    toss until golden, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and toss
    until they turn pink, for beef or pork until light brown,
    no more that 1 min. for shrimp. Remove from pan and set
    aside. Add the egg to pan and tilt the pan to spread it
    into a thin sheet. As soon as it begins to set, scramble
    it to break it into small lumps. Remove and set aside
    with shrimp. Heat 1 tbs of oil in wok or skillet and heat
    30 seconds and add soften noodles. Thin noodles to cover
    the surface of the pan, then clump them together and
    gently turn over. repeat this process until the noodles
    soften and curl into ivory ringlets. Add fish sauce and
    turn noodles to evenly season. Add sugar and peanuts and
    continue to turn the noodles to season. Reserve some of
    the bean sprouts, green onion for garnish. Add the bean
    sprouts, green onions and the shrimp and egg mixture.
    Cook for 1 minute, turning often. Transfer noodles to the
    serving paltter and squeeze the juice of 2 lime wedges
    over the top. Garnish with remaining beansprouts and lime
    and serve at once. Serves 1 very hungry, or 2 appetizers.

  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    limey wrote:

> [...]

    into a thin sheet. As soon as it begins to set, scramble
    it to break it into small lumps. Remove and set aside
    with shrimp. Heat 1 tbs of oil in wok or skillet and heat
    30 seconds and add soften noodles. Thin noodles to cover
    the surface of the pan, then clump them together and
    gently turn over. repeat this process until the noodles
    soften and curl into ivory ringlets. Add fish sauce and
    turn noodles to evenly season. Add sugar and peanuts and
    continue to turn the noodles to season. Reserve some of
    the bean sprouts, green onion for garnish. Add the bean
    sprouts, green onions and the shrimp and egg mixture.
    Cook for 1 minute, turning often. Transfer noodles to the
    serving paltter and squeeze the juice of 2 lime wedges
    over the top. Garnish with remaining beansprouts and lime
    and serve at once. Serves 1 very hungry, or 2 appetizers.

  4. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "limey" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I love to sample the foods being offered by demonstrators
    > when I'm ambling around Costco.
    >
    > Today I sampled some Pad Thai cooked from the frozen state
    > and fell in love with it. Knowing that frozen blends are
    > often different from the "real thing", does anyone have a
    > really good recipe that they enjoy?
    >
    > Dora

    I think I got this recipe here.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Pad Thai

    none

    8 ounces medium-wide rice noodles 3 tablespoons fish sauce 2
    tablespoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar 2 tablespoons
    granulated sugar 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 2 eggs; lightly
    beaten 3 large cloves garlic; finely chopped
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes 8 ounces large shrimp; peeled
    and deveined 4 ounces tofu; sliced in thin strips 3 cups
    bean sprouts 6 green onions; chopped
    2/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    3/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts 1 lime; cut in wedges

    In Thailand, this noodle dish is eaten at any time or in any
    place - from restaurants to street stalls. Each cook adds a
    personal touch. This version is lower in fat and uses easily
    available ingredients.

    1 Soak noodles in hot water for 20 minutes; drain. In
    small bowl, mix together fish sauce, rice vinegar and
    sugar; set aside.

    2 In large nonstick wok or skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the
    oil over medium-high heat; cook eggs, stirring, until
    scrambled. Cut into strips; transfer to side dish.

    3 Wipe out pan; add remaining oil. Stir-fry garlic, red
    pepper flakes and shrimp for 2 minutes. Add tofu; stir-fry
    for 1 minute or until shrimp are pink and opaque.

    4 Add noodles and 1/2 cup water; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3
    minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in fish sauce
    mixture, bean sprouts and half of the onions; toss to mix
    well. Transfer to serving dish. Top with eggs, remaining
    onions, cilantro and peanuts. Garnish with lime.

    Substitution: For a more authentic Thai dish, substitute 3
    tablespoons dried chopped shrimp for the fresh. Pickled
    white radish or salted cabbage
    (4/4 cup) is often added. Tamarind paste or juice is used
    instead of vinegar.

    Contributor: Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking

    Yield: 4 servings

    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  5. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "limey" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I love to sample the foods being offered by demonstrators
    > when I'm ambling around Costco.
    >
    > Today I sampled some Pad Thai cooked from the frozen state
    > and fell in love with it. Knowing that frozen blends are
    > often different from the "real thing", does anyone have a
    > really good recipe that they enjoy?
    >
    > Dora

    I think I got this recipe here.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Pad Thai

    none

    8 ounces medium-wide rice noodles 3 tablespoons fish sauce 2
    tablespoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar 2 tablespoons
    granulated sugar 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 2 eggs; lightly
    beaten 3 large cloves garlic; finely chopped
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes 8 ounces large shrimp; peeled
    and deveined 4 ounces tofu; sliced in thin strips 3 cups
    bean sprouts 6 green onions; chopped
    2/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    3/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts 1 lime; cut in wedges

    In Thailand, this noodle dish is eaten at any time or in any
    place - from restaurants to street stalls. Each cook adds a
    personal touch. This version is lower in fat and uses easily
    available ingredients.

    1 Soak noodles in hot water for 20 minutes; drain. In
    small bowl, mix together fish sauce, rice vinegar and
    sugar; set aside.

    2 In large nonstick wok or skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the
    oil over medium-high heat; cook eggs, stirring, until
    scrambled. Cut into strips; transfer to side dish.

    3 Wipe out pan; add remaining oil. Stir-fry garlic, red
    pepper flakes and shrimp for 2 minutes. Add tofu; stir-fry
    for 1 minute or until shrimp are pink and opaque.

    4 Add noodles and 1/2 cup water; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3
    minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in fish sauce
    mixture, bean sprouts and half of the onions; toss to mix
    well. Transfer to serving dish. Top with eggs, remaining
    onions, cilantro and peanuts. Garnish with lime.

    Substitution: For a more authentic Thai dish, substitute 3
    tablespoons dried chopped shrimp for the fresh. Pickled
    white radish or salted cabbage
    (4/4 cup) is often added. Tamarind paste or juice is used
    instead of vinegar.

    Contributor: Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking

    Yield: 4 servings

    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  6. Limey

    Limey Guest

    Thank you! I'm looking forward to making this.

    Dora