Paddington - Kings Cross

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jon Senior, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    The wonders of the rail system mean that the return leg of my holiday to
    Cornwall either has to be a day earlier than intended or has to go via
    London (I doubt that the bus from Gloucester to Birmingham will take my
    bike!).

    I have an AtoZ of Nodnol but if anyone could suggest a decent (Not too
    manic) route from Paddington to Kings Cross that would be great.

    Jon

    Tags:

  2. "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I have an AtoZ of Nodnol but if anyone could suggest a decent (Not too
    > manic) route from Paddington to Kings Cross that would be great.

    Manic? You mean, as in along the Marylebone/Euston Road? Actually it's
    quite doable, although perhaps not much fun. Traffic of the motorised
    variety can be fast or slow depending on time of day, except for motorcycles
    which are fast all the time. Otherwise there's a sort of dog-leggedy route
    from Sussex Gdns - Old Marylebone Road - Homer Row - Crawford St -
    Paddington St - Weymouth St - Clipstone St - Maple St - University St -
    Torrington Place - Tavistock Place etc that will get you there - mostly
    signposted as a cycle route.

    Rich

  3. On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:44:27 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

    > The wonders of the rail system mean that the return leg of my holiday to
    > Cornwall either has to be a day earlier than intended or has to go via
    > London (I doubt that the bus from Gloucester to Birmingham will take my
    > bike!).

    If it is outside of peak times you can take your bike on the
    Hammersmith and City Line!

    You'll have to get it up and down a couple of flights of steps - so might
    not be great for a laden touring bike.

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:

    > The wonders of the rail system mean that the return leg of my holiday to
    > Cornwall either has to be a day earlier than intended or has to go via
    > London (I doubt that the bus from Gloucester to Birmingham will take my
    > bike!).
    >
    > I have an AtoZ of Nodnol but if anyone could suggest a decent (Not too
    > manic) route from Paddington to Kings Cross that would be great.
    >
    > Jon

    Try http://www.cyclemaps.com. Enter your start and destination and it
    will give you a map and directions. If you want a more detailed map to
    transfer to your AtoZ you could try the dreadful LCN Webmap which is
    virtually unusable but gives a street level mapping of the cycle routes
    in London - http://www.londoncyclenetwork.org.uk/webmap/default.asp

    Tony

  5. Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    berlin.de:

    > Try http://www.cyclemaps.com. Enter your start and destination and it
    > will give you a map and directions. If you want a more detailed map to
    > transfer to your AtoZ you could try the dreadful LCN Webmap which is
    > virtually unusable but gives a street level mapping of the cycle routes
    > in London - http://www.londoncyclenetwork.org.uk/webmap/default.asp

    I tried the cyclemaps link for my commute. I'm not entirely convinced by its
    route. It took some rather twisty routes through London on back streets and
    various cycle paths when the major roads would be better. It also advises
    going the wrong way on two one-way streets! Not a bad starting point, but
    needs a bit of tweaking.

    --
    Chris

  6. RG

    RG Guest

    "ScumOfTheRoad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:44:27 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:
    >
    > > The wonders of the rail system mean that the return leg of my holiday to
    > > Cornwall either has to be a day earlier than intended or has to go via
    > > London (I doubt that the bus from Gloucester to Birmingham will take my
    > > bike!).

    > If it is outside of peak times you can take your bike on the
    > Hammersmith and City Line!
    >
    > You'll have to get it up and down a couple of flights of steps - so might
    > not be great for a laden touring bike.

    Actually the Circle Line would be better as there are very few steps to the
    platforms at either Paddington or KingsX - taking a bike on the "shallow"
    underground lines is perfectly OK after about 0930 and before 1600, although
    you do get some strange looks! - I've done it without problem.

    As a previous poster said the ride along Marylebone Road/Euston Road is not
    too bad at all - again, I've done it and IIRC there are bus lanes most of
    the way (just remember not to go down the Euston underpass!)

    RG

  7. davek

    davek Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:
    > I have an AtoZ of Nodnol but if anyone could suggest a decent (Not too
    > manic) route from Paddington to Kings Cross that would be great.

    Personally, I see no need to look beyond the Marylebone/Euston Road
    route - it's the most obvious, most direct and fastest. Yes, the traffic
    can be heavy, but it's not that bad a road for cycling on - it's the
    stretch /beyond/ King's Cross where it gets nasty.

    d.

  8. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:44:27 +0100, Jon Senior <> wrote:

    > I have an AtoZ of Nodnol but if anyone could suggest a decent (Not too
    > manic) route from Paddington to Kings Cross that would be great.

    Have you got the free LCC / TfL maps? If you've got three or four
    months before the holiday you could order them and see if they help.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  9. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Ian Smith [email protected] opined the following...
    > Have you got the free LCC / TfL maps? If you've got three or four
    > months before the holiday you could order them and see if they help.

    About 1 week till I hit London. And that's not really part of the
    holiday.

    Thanks for all the advice folks, I'll probably end up on the main road,
    I don't actually mind them that much, I just wondered if there was an
    obvious-to-a-local quiet route between them.

    Jon

  10. "Monkey Hanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de:

    http://www.londoncyclenetwork.org.uk/webmap/default.asp

    > I tried the cyclemaps link for my commute. I'm not entirely convinced by
    > its
    > route. It took some rather twisty routes through London on back streets
    > and
    > various cycle paths when the major roads would be better. It also advises
    > going the wrong way on two one-way streets! Not a bad starting point, but
    > needs a bit of tweaking.

    That's no doubt because it's marking out where the cycle paths and
    'recommended' quiet/traffic calmed roads are. The avoidance of major roads
    is by design, even if experienced cyclists will feel happy to use them. If
    it suggests the wrong way on one way streets, I suspect it's probably
    because there is a contra-flow cycle lane on them.

    Rich

  11. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:59:26 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

    >Ian Smith [email protected] opined the following...
    >> Have you got the free LCC / TfL maps? If you've got three or four
    >> months before the holiday you could order them and see if they help.

    >About 1 week till I hit London. And that's not really part of the
    >holiday.
    >
    >Thanks for all the advice folks, I'll probably end up on the main road,
    >I don't actually mind them that much, I just wondered if there was an
    >obvious-to-a-local quiet route between them.

    Come a little south of the Marylebone/Euston Road and try to keep in
    an easterly direction. I say try because that whole area is a maze of
    one way streets. Whether it is worth the hassle of this
    suck-it-and-see approach kind of depends on how long you have to make
    the connection.

    There's no such thing as a quiet road in central London,even with the
    congestion charge.

  12. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Phil Cook [email protected] opined the following...
    > Come a little south of the Marylebone/Euston Road and try to keep in
    > an easterly direction. I say try because that whole area is a maze of
    > one way streets. Whether it is worth the hassle of this
    > suck-it-and-see approach kind of depends on how long you have to make
    > the connection.

    Assuming no delays (Hah!) I have an hour for the connection, but if I
    miss my outgoing train then I think I end up cycling from Newcastle to
    Edinburgh cause they're running a replacement bus to cover that route
    later in the day!

    Given that there is "Essential engineering works" going on on every
    section of rail every weekend and has been for all the I've been
    covering large distances by rail, you'd think we'd have a decent system
    by now... wouldn't you?

    > There's no such thing as a quiet road in central London,even with the
    > congestion charge.

    In general I don't mind traffic and tend to prefer main roads if only
    because the sightlines are better. If you hear of tailbacks in the area
    on Sat 30th, it'll be my fault for ambling down the centre of a lane on
    a laden recumbent. :)

    Jon

  13. "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    Actually I tried http://www.cyclemaps.com.

    > "Monkey Hanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> I tried the cyclemaps link for my commute. I'm not entirely convinced
    >> by its route. It took some rather twisty routes through London on back
    >> streets and various cycle paths when the major roads would be better.
    >> It also advises going the wrong way on two one-way streets! Not a bad
    >> starting point, but needs a bit of tweaking.

    > That's no doubt because it's marking out where the cycle paths and
    > 'recommended' quiet/traffic calmed roads are. The avoidance of major
    > roads is by design, even if experienced cyclists will feel happy to use
    > them. If it suggests the wrong way on one way streets, I suspect it's
    > probably because there is a contra-flow cycle lane on them.

    I suspect that you are right about the cycle paths and recommended roads. I
    used to use them myself to avoid the pollution. Now I just ride faster on the
    main roads.

    I only know one of the one-way streets and it has about 10 metres of contra-
    flow cycle lane at the end. And that usually has a car illegally parked on
    it. The rest of the road has to be walked along.

    --
    Chris

  14. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:39:45 +0100 someone who may be Tony Raven
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Try http://www.cyclemaps.com. Enter your start and destination and it
    >will give you a map and directions.

    Good idea. However, it appears to only work for London, though does
    not appear to mention this "minor" fact anywhere.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  15. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 24/10/04 3:35 pm, in article [email protected],
    "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

    > Phil Cook [email protected] opined the following...
    >> Come a little south of the Marylebone/Euston Road and try to keep in
    >> an easterly direction. I say try because that whole area is a maze of
    >> one way streets. Whether it is worth the hassle of this
    >> suck-it-and-see approach kind of depends on how long you have to make
    >> the connection.

    > Assuming no delays (Hah!) I have an hour for the connection, but if I
    > miss my outgoing train then I think I end up cycling from Newcastle to
    > Edinburgh cause they're running a replacement bus to cover that route
    > later in the day!

    Take the main road. If you don't know the way then the simplest navigation
    is the best.

    Basic guide:

    From Paddington go to the lowest numbered end of the concourse and head out
    via the car ramp parallel to platform 1. when you get on the car ramp you
    may be able to turn left. If so, do.

    When you reach the road, turn left so you are heading east along Praed
    street (I think that is the one.)

    You will come to the Edgeware Road. You can either cross over and hit the
    main Euston road at Gt Portland street or turn left then turn right just
    after the flyover (literally.)

    Follow the Euston road to King's Cross. You really can't miss it.

    Don't faff with the parallel routes otherwise you risk missing the
    connection as you'll spend too long navigating.

    > Given that there is "Essential engineering works" going on on every
    > section of rail every weekend and has been for all the I've been
    > covering large distances by rail, you'd think we'd have a decent system
    > by now... wouldn't you?
    >
    >> There's no such thing as a quiet road in central London,even with the
    >> congestion charge.

    > In general I don't mind traffic and tend to prefer main roads if only
    > because the sightlines are better. If you hear of tailbacks in the area
    > on Sat 30th, it'll be my fault for ambling down the centre of a lane on
    > a laden recumbent. :)

    Shouldn't be a problem. The Euston Underpass is not too bad but can be
    avoided by going over the junction at the top.

    ...d

  16. "Monkey Hanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> http://www.londoncyclenetwork.org.uk/webmap/default.asp

    > Actually I tried http://www.cyclemaps.com.

    Ah yes, that's rather different. I note that it seems to have a 'direct
    route' option for subscribers. The free route info is the 'cycle path and
    minor road' option, which must explain why that's what you got. It would
    take me on quite a detour for my commute too! Although subscription is
    only £15 a year, I think for the money I'd rather just buy an A-Z, and/or
    maybe use the free TfL maps! I wonder how likely it is to succeed as a
    commercial venture?

    Rich

  17. Jon Senior wrote:
    > The wonders of the rail system mean that the return leg of my holiday
    > to Cornwall either has to be a day earlier than intended or has to go
    > via London (I doubt that the bus from Gloucester to Birmingham will
    > take my bike!).
    >
    > I have an AtoZ of Nodnol but if anyone could suggest a decent (Not too
    > manic) route from Paddington to Kings Cross that would be great.
    >
    > Jon

    I used to love cycling in London, you have the nerve, its very rewarding.

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    David Hansen wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:39:45 +0100 someone who may be Tony Raven
    > <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >

    >>Try http://www.cyclemaps.com. Enter your start and destination and it
    >>will give you a map and directions.

    > Good idea. However, it appears to only work for London, though does
    > not appear to mention this "minor" fact anywhere.

    I know the Scottish contingent have a thing about it but its a bit much
    expecting Jon to cycle outside of London just to go from Paddington to
    Kings Cross ;-)

    Tony

    PS If you look on the Subscriptions page it says " At present the map
    database covers the Greater London area and up to the M25."

  19. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Martin Newstead (MSeries)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jon Senior wrote:
    > > The wonders of the rail system mean that the return leg of my holiday
    > > to Cornwall either has to be a day earlier than intended or has to go
    > > via London (I doubt that the bus from Gloucester to Birmingham will
    > > take my bike!).
    > >
    > > I have an AtoZ of Nodnol but if anyone could suggest a decent (Not too
    > > manic) route from Paddington to Kings Cross that would be great.
    > >
    > > Jon

    > I used to love cycling in London, you have the nerve, its very rewarding.

    I use this route but easy to lose your way; it does a few alleyways but all
    signposted. Use the tube as a last resort only, it will be double the time
    you can ride it in.

    http://www.londoncyclenetwork.org.uk/uploaded_files/library/documents/LCN_MA
    P_2004.pdf

  20. On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:27:00 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

    > PS If you look on the Subscriptions page it says " At present the map
    > database covers the Greater London area and up to the M25."

    The Transport for London Journey Planner can be coaxed into giving you
    cycle routes.
    Edit the search options and deselect almost everything.
    Check 'Use Cycle and Ride' and decide to cycle longer than 10 minutes.
    http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk

    24 minutes by TfL reckonign from Paddington to Kings Cross.
    Route suggested is the backstreet one described earler I think.

    Go on. Laugh if you will.
    The 'I'd rather walk if it makes my journey quicker' box
    is ticked off by default.
    Then again it IS pissing down with rain at the moment...