paella question

Sf

Guest
This will be saffron flavored rice with seafood & chorizo,
no tomatoes.

It will be served as the main dish at a wedding reception
(100 people). Tapas will come before that.

I was thinking perhaps a gewurztraminer and a light red
wine.

Do you have any wine suggestions that won't break the bank?
Of course, Spanish wine suggestions would be great!

TIA

sf wrote:

> This will be saffron flavored rice with seafood & chorizo,
> no tomatoes.
>
> It will be served as the main dish at a wedding reception
> (100 people). Tapas will come before that.
>
> I was thinking perhaps a gewurztraminer and a light
> red wine.
>
> Do you have any wine suggestions that won't break the
> bank? Of course, Spanish wine suggestions would be great!
>
> TIA

A Sangria punch. Is this being catered? Paella isn't the
simplest thing to make in such large quantities.

gloria p

> wine suggestions that won't break the bank?

Any old medium-bodied Spanish red, served at about 55
degrees: my favorites come from Ribero del Duero, but try
Rioja if you want something oakier.

I don't know white wines; but pick something really light
without much acid. Codorniu extra dry cava might be a
nice option.

Paella is heavy; the wine should cut through it. (Not
sangría, please: an Andalucían punch has no business
with paella.)

Neil

I have seen photos and video of paella prepared in a giant
paellera, perhaps 2 meters in diameter, on a stand over a
wood fire. Ingredients in 20 liter buckets, wooden rakes
used to stir the food around. It is apparently pretty
common at stands at Spanish beach resorts. It would be a
great show for the guests if the caterer has the equipment
and can pull it off.

Good luck and all the best to the happy couple.

----------------
----
Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
42.8"

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This will be saffron flavored rice with seafood & chorizo,
> no tomatoes.
>
> It will be served as the main dish at a wedding reception
> (100 people). Tapas will come before that.
>
> I was thinking perhaps a gewurztraminer and a light
> red wine.
>
> Do you have any wine suggestions that won't break the
> bank? Of course, Spanish wine suggestions would be great!
>

> TIA
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:16:47 GMT, Puester
<[email protected]> wrote:

> A Sangria punch.

Sangria is definitely in the running.

> Is this being catered? Paella isn't the simplest thing to
> make in such large quantities.

Yes, it's catered. I'm not sure how paella for 100 will turn
out either - so my fingers are crossed.

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This will be saffron flavored rice with seafood & chorizo,
> no tomatoes.
>
> It will be served as the main dish at a wedding reception
> (100 people). Tapas will come before that.
>
> I was thinking perhaps a gewurztraminer and a light
> red wine.
>
> Do you have any wine suggestions that won't break the
> bank? Of course, Spanish wine suggestions would be great!

Marques de Caceres (Spanish) makes a really nice white for
about $5 - I think it would be a better fit than a
gewurztraminer and certainly less expensive than a decent
gewurztraminer. They also make a very nice red at about the
same price - not exactly light but not too heavy either.

Peter Aitken

In article <[email protected]>,
sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> This will be saffron flavored rice with seafood & chorizo,
> no tomatoes.
>
> It will be served as the main dish at a wedding reception
> (100 people). Tapas will come before that.
>
> I was thinking perhaps a gewurztraminer and a light
> red wine.
>
> Do you have any wine suggestions that won't break the
> bank? Of course, Spanish wine suggestions would be great!
>

> TIA
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Since you are serving a seafood dish, a rose might work. :)
There are dozens of good White Zinfandels on the market, and
I've yet to meet anyone that did not like them since they
are usually a mild, semi-sweet wine?

Just one idea for ya!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

sf <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> This will be saffron flavored rice with seafood & chorizo,
> no tomatoes.
>
> It will be served as the main dish at a wedding reception
> (100 people). Tapas will come before that.
>
> I was thinking perhaps a gewurztraminer and a light
> red wine.
>
> Do you have any wine suggestions that won't break the
> bank? Of course, Spanish wine suggestions would be great!
>

> TIA
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

There are nice Spanish sparkling wines you could serve:
Freixenet is a widely-distributed brand, and a couple
cases of their Carta Nevada or even Cordon Negro won't
break the bank.

--
Chris Green

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Christopher Green) wrote:

> sf <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > This will be saffron flavored rice with seafood &
> > chorizo, no tomatoes.
> >
> > It will be served as the main dish at a wedding
> > reception (100 people). Tapas will come before that.
> >
> > I was thinking perhaps a gewurztraminer and a light
> > red wine.
> >
> > Do you have any wine suggestions that won't break the
> > bank? Of course, Spanish wine suggestions would be
> > great!
> >

> > TIA
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments
>
> There are nice Spanish sparkling wines you could serve:
> Freixenet is a widely-distributed brand, and a couple
> cases of their Carta Nevada or even Cordon Negro won't
> break the bank.

As long as it's not Brut' ;-p More people like Spumante.

IMHO Ballatore is better than Freixenet and less expensive.

Personally, I can't stand Freixenet!

Apologies......

d.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

>It would be a great show for the guests if the caterer has
>the equipment and can pull it off.

It would be very unlikely for a U.S.-based wedding caterer
to do anything more than make something like jambalaya and
transfer it to a steam table for serving. The inclusion of
"chorizo" in this paella, although one sometimes sees it in
Spain, is not an encouraging sign.

There are too few Spanish restaurants in the U.S. that make
an acceptable paella for me to believe there are many
professional caterers with the staff, tools, and insight to
make it for 100, especially when the market makes so few
demands for quality.

Neil

On 14 Mar 2004 16:02:37 GMT, [email protected] (WardNA) wrote:

> >It would be a great show for the guests if the caterer
> >has the equipment and can pull it off.
>
> It would be very unlikely for a U.S.-based wedding
> caterer to do anything more than make something like
> jambalaya and transfer it to a steam table for serving.

Personally, if it turns out looking like a saffron Jambalaya
(no tomatoes) - that will be fine with me. My requirement is
for it to taste good. I'm not expecting the "look" of Spain,
just a taste or two.

> The inclusion of "chorizo" in this paella, although one
> sometimes sees it in Spain, is not an encouraging sign.

I think you're forgetting paella varies by region and cook.
Chorizo is an acceptable addition... and it was the brides
decision. The bride is a better than average cook herself,
so if she wants chroizo - she can have chorizo in the
paella. She knows what she's doing.

I was asking about what wine to serve with it.

On 14 Mar 2004 00:44:54 -0800, [email protected]
(Christopher Green) wrote:

> There are nice Spanish sparkling wines you could serve:
> Freixenet is a widely-distributed brand, and a couple
> cases of their Carta Nevada or even Cordon Negro won't
> break the bank.

Great idea! I like Freixenet Cordon Negro (cava is an
excellent alternative to champagne) and had completely
forgotten about it up to now.

Freixenet Carta Nevada isn't widely distributed here, so
I'll look for it specifically and do a taste comparison.

[email protected] (WardNA) wrote:

> >It would be a great show for the guests if the caterer
> >has the equipment and can pull it off.
>
> It would be very unlikely for a U.S.-based wedding caterer
> to do anything more than make something like jambalaya and
> transfer it to a steam table for serving. The inclusion of
> "chorizo" in this paella, although one sometimes sees it
> in Spain, is not an encouraging sign.
>
> There are too few Spanish restaurants in the U.S. that
> make an acceptable paella for me to believe there are many
> professional caterers with the staff, tools, and insight
> to make it for 100, especially when the market makes so
> few demands for quality.
>
> Neil

I have to agree...

Chorizo is the _last_ thing I'd add to Paella. :p To me,
it'd totally overwhelm the delicate flavor of the shellfish.

sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 14 Mar 2004 16:02:37 GMT, [email protected] (WardNA)
> wrote:
>
> > >It would be a great show for the guests if the caterer
> > >has the equipment and can pull it off.
> >
> > It would be very unlikely for a U.S.-based wedding
> > caterer to do anything more than make something like
> > jambalaya and transfer it to a steam table for serving.
>
> Personally, if it turns out looking like a saffron
> Jambalaya (no tomatoes) - that will be fine with me. My
> requirement is for it to taste good. I'm not expecting the
> "look" of Spain, just a taste or two.
>
> > The inclusion of "chorizo" in this paella, although one
> > sometimes sees it in Spain, is not an encouraging sign.
> >

> I think you're forgetting paella varies by region and
> cook. Chorizo is an acceptable addition... and it was the
> brides decision. The bride is a better than average cook
> herself, so if she wants chroizo - she can have chorizo in
> the paella. She knows what she's doing.
>
> I was asking about what wine to serve with it.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

So what have you decided? ;-)

I've seen several ideas tossed your way.

Just curious......

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

In article <KatraMungBean-
[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Chorizo is the _last_ thing I'd add to Paella. :p To me,
> it'd totally overwhelm the delicate flavor of the
> shellfish.

Didn't we just have a similar discussion as to whether or
not mint belonged in lasagna? IMO, those who are cooking and
eating it get to decide how to make it. Cooking is supposed
to be experimental, and about personalizing it to your own
(and your family's) tastes.

Personally, I think mint in lasagna is strange; however, I'd
never question you putting it in your lasagna if that's how
you like it.

--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:20:36 -0600, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:
> So what have you decided? ;-)
>
> I've seen several ideas tossed your way.

I told her all about Freixenet today (thanks to
Christopher). I like it because it's got the fine bubbles of
more expensive sparkling wines (and I like the taste too),
so it's a good choice for wedding receptions when people are
trying not to match our national debt. It also sounds like
the Carta Nevada will be more to her taste, Katra... it's
sweeter, but not as sweet as Spumante.

Donna Rose <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <KatraMungBean-
> [email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Chorizo is the _last_ thing I'd add to Paella. :p To
> > me, it'd totally overwhelm the delicate flavor of the
> > shellfish.
> >

> Didn't we just have a similar discussion as to whether or
> not mint belonged in lasagna? IMO, those who are cooking
> and eating it get to decide how to make it. Cooking is
> supposed to be experimental, and about personalizing it to
> your own (and your family's) tastes.
>
> Personally, I think mint in lasagna is strange; however,
> I'd never question you putting it in your lasagna if
> that's how you like it.

Point and score. ;-)

K.

--

sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:20:36 -0600, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > So what have you decided? ;-)
> >
> > I've seen several ideas tossed your way.
> >

> I told her all about Freixenet today (thanks to
> Christopher). I like it because it's got the fine bubbles
> of more expensive sparkling wines (and I like the taste
> too), so it's a good choice for wedding receptions when
> people are trying not to match our national debt. It also
> sounds like the Carta Nevada will be more to her taste,
> Katra... it's sweeter, but not as sweet as Spumante.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I'll have to look for Carta Nevada..... I'm always game to
try new sparkling wines, especially ones that are reasonbly
priced. :)

Best of luck with the reception! Those things are always
quite a challenge.

K.

--

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> writes:

> Marques de Caceres (Spanish) makes a really nice white
> for about $5 - I think it would be a better fit than a
> gewurztraminer and certainly less expensive than a
> decent gewurztraminer. They also make a very nice red at
> about the same price - not exactly light but not too
> heavy either.

I like that one too.

In the Paella class I took last week from a local
recreational/professional school, they served the following:

Bodega Montecillo Rioja, white: pleasant, smooth, slightly
sweet, full bodied, clean finish with very slight tannins.
Spanish whites aren't all that common but I found this
quite enjoyable. I'd suggest this authentic wine rather
than a gewurz.

Bodega Montecillo Riojo, red: nice spice, dependable

There were a couple others (including a Ribera del Duero)
but I wasn't too busy cooking to take detailed notes.

[email protected] (Christopher Green) writes:

> There are nice Spanish sparkling wines you could serve:
> Freixenet is a widely-distributed brand, and a couple
> cases of their Carta Nevada or even Cordon Negro won't
> break the bank.

IMHO Freixenet used to be good when they first popped on to
the market, but then they put their money into advertising
and increased the price of the wine; the quality isn't as
good as it used to be.

I prefer the following; they're excellent values in
sparklers: Segura Viudas, and Trocadero.