Paging Gordo!

<Supabonbon says:
Thanks for the invite! I'll think about it. I'm slated to do this one:
http://www.transalt.org/calendar/century/index.html I'm considering the fixie too.... /s>

The fixie sounds abusive... There have got to be some good sized hills to get uptown... what kind of gearing would you do...
As for me when it comes to a century give me gears...

Jimbo(san)

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote
> >
> > Thanks for the invite! I'll think about it. I'm slated to do this one:
> > http://www.transalt.org/calendar/century/index.html I'm considering the fixie too....
>
> Dude! Do it!
>
> ****, I know a guy who did it on a unicycle last year. Now there's a Real
Man.

> CC

I saw this post this afternoon and since then I've been mulling over coming down from CT for it.
Here's a couple questions for those in the know. First, I'm cheap and don't want to spend the $125
for a hotel, so, is it feasible to drive in the morning of? Typically, when I come to the city for
work I take the Metro, and I have the Metro bike pass, only thing is, the earliest train in from New
Haven gets to GCS at 6:40, 40 minutes after the 100 milers start.

Sounds like a good time, I've got a few other riders that'll join me, but it may be a logistical
nightmare, since the rest of them are as cheap as me. I'd ask about camping, but I doubt the NYPD
would approve of a tent city in Central park...

Josh

"Josh" <[email protected]> wrote

> I saw this post this afternoon and since then I've been mulling over coming down from CT for it.
> Here's a couple questions for those in the know. First, I'm cheap and don't want to spend the $125
> for a hotel, so, is it feasible to drive in the morning of?

It'll make for a real long day, but people do. On the day of the event, you see lots of people
parking uptown, particularly on Riverside Drive. Try coming in on the Henry Hudson Parkway and
looking for parking up by Grant's Tomb, a little north of 120th St. on Riverside Drive. There's
usually lots of space there on a Sunday.

The course starts at Harlem Meer, 110th St. and (IIRC) Lenox Ave. Right at the top of Central Park.

> Typically, when I come to the city for work I take the Metro, and I have the Metro bike pass, only
> thing is, the earliest train in from New Haven gets to GCS at 6:40, 40 minutes after the 100
> milers start.

You could just take the train in and head out onto the course straight from GCS. From Central Park,
the course heads straight down Fifth Ave. and over the Brooklyn Bridge. It is marked by blazes on
the pavement, a big yellow "C" with an arrow. The ride probably takes at least fifteen minutes to
get all the riders off the start line, so you might actually be able to catch the pack if your train
is on time.

> I'd ask about camping, but I doubt the NYPD would approve of a tent city in Central park...

I know a couple of out-of-the way spots where the homeless guys set up little tent communities...
ah, never mind.

It's an amazing ride. Really something to remember.

CC

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Josh" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > I saw this post this afternoon and since then I've been mulling over
coming
> > down from CT for it. Here's a couple questions for those in the know.
First,
> > I'm cheap and don't want to spend the $125 for a hotel, so, is it
feasible
> > to drive in the morning of?
>
> It'll make for a real long day, but people do. On the day of the event, you see lots of people
> find parking uptown, particularly on Riverside Drive. Try coming in on the Henry Hudson Parkway
> and looking for parking up by Grant's Tomb, a little north of 120th St. on Riverside Drive.
> There's usually lots of space there on a Sunday.
>
> The course starts at Harlem Meer, 110th St. and (IIRC) Lenox Ave. Right at the top of
> Central Park.
>
> > Typically, when I come to the city for work I take the Metro, and I have the Metro bike pass,
> > only thing is, the
earliest
> > train in from New Haven gets to GCS at 6:40, 40 minutes after the 100
milers
> > start.
>
> You could just take the train in and head out onto the course straight from GCS. From Central
> Park, the course heads straight down Fifth Ave. and over the Brooklyn Bridge. It is marked by
> blazes on the pavement, a big yellow "C" with an arrow. The ride probably takes at least fifteen
> minutes to get all the riders off the start line, so you might actually be able to catch the pack
> if your train is on time.
>
> > I'd ask about camping, but I doubt the NYPD would approve of a tent city
in
> > Central park...
>
> I know a couple of out-of-the way spots where the homeless guys set up little tent communities...
> ah, never mind.
>
> It's an amazing ride. Really something to remember.
>
> CC

Thanks for the tips, I'll save that email and try to convince the other riders that it'll be worth
the effort!

Josh I'll be the roadie with the hairy legs...

Jimbo(san) <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> <Supabonbon says: Thanks for the invite! I'll think about it. I'm slated to do this one:
> http://www.transalt.org/calendar/century/index.htmlhttp-
> ://www.transalt.org/calendar/century/index.html I'm considering the
> fixie too.... /s>
>

> The fixie sounds abusive... There have got to be some good sized hills to get uptown... what kind
> of gearing would you do... As for me when it comes to a century give me gears...
>

> Jimbo(san)

I hear you. Not many big climbs, though. There's a wall towards the end in Harlem, which I have no
illusions about riding. But otherwise bridges are your biggest concern. Most of the bridges are
packed with riders, so you're mostly walking over them anyway. I'm not sure what kind of gear I'd
run. I've only used a 48x16, and I'm using an regular old road frame with maybe an 1 1/8" horizontal
drop. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get a larger cog on the back and still be able to get the wheel
in. Probably worth trying, though. My bigger concern is all the turns. I've got 175's on it, and the
bb feels kinda low. As the day wears on and I get sloppier, I don't want to spike a pedal. And, with
NYC streets being what they are, bunnyhopping is a frequent practice on the road bikes. I can do it
on the fixie, but it's definitely a more dangerous move than on a freewheeled bike. You might be
right about the gears. Gonna bring the Kona with the flat pedals? /s

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You might be right about the gears. Gonna bring the Kona with the flat pedals?

Hell no. We're both bringing the track bikes. The more dangerous, the better
:)

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> "Josh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:04NYa.18658
> > I'll be the roadie with the hairy legs...
>
> Hey, you too? Cool! And here I thought I was the only ape on the road...
>
> :)
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Pfft, that's funny. Funnier still since I'm a hairy I-talian. Two other guys I ride with are toe
heads and insist on shaving, even in winter...

<Originally posted by Supabonbon

[...]

I know what you mean about the drops... I sinned on my old road/track frame and did a little filing to extend the drops... I am pretty sure that is considered a major no no... but I always said that bike was a CHUNK track bike and there you go...
I would love to a century on a track bike but the Golden Apple is a might too hilly... I thought about using the flip flop but since the hills and flats are mixed I can't see making 50 stops to make it through...
I won't use the KONA... I have a road bike gathering dust so I might as well put it to some use....

Jimbo(san)