Paging Messrs. Fogel and Sherman

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] aka "Dear" Carl Fogel wrote:
>>> A really geeky face-down rider might rig up a virtual reality helmet
>>> and see where he's going through a camera that points forward.

>> Readers of rec.bicycles.tech:
>>
>> Bicycles with camera only forward vision have already been built:
>> <http://www.helsinki.fi/~tlinden/images/kyle-virtual-edges.jpg>.

> You forgot to follow up with whether the riders have yet to successfully
> ride a flying-200 course without crashing, as I gather that was a
> problem with the first designs brought to Battle Mountain.

There have been successful (not crashing) runs at Battle Mountain by
camera bikes. However, I doubt that camera bikes will ever be used for
anything other than record attempts.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 06:15:03 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:21:10 +0100, Frank Leake <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> >That's and advert for how not to have children! I cannot imagine how
>> >uncomfortable that must have been.

>> Dear Ryan,
>>
>> Some other examples from that site of bicycle engineering at its
>> finest can be browsed here:
>> http://blog.modernmechanix.com/index.php?s=bicycle

>> Somehow I'm skeptical of the 45 mph aero-cycle claim:
>>
>> <http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/MechanixIllustrated/9-1949/cycles/cycles_0.jpg>

>Carl! Somehow you posted this and completely ignored the photo of Faure
>on a Mochet recumbent!
>
>Oddly, this is in a 1948 magazine, so they're reporting news from over a
>decade ago.

Dear Ryan,

Well, I've posted links to that picture in other threads, so I
concentrated on stranger contraptions.

Speaking of which, I should have included this one:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/10/19/masked-cyclist-sounds-gas-attack-warning/

"Equipped with gas mask and respirator, the cyclist broadcast
[poison-gas attack] warnings through a microphone built into the mask
and wired to the battery-operated loudspeaker."

Wouldn't a generator have been more reliable?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel