Paging Mike Jacoubowsky re: noisy STI levers

GaryG

Guest
Mike,

I saw a link to your excellent article (
http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/noisystilevers.htm ) in another post.

I purchased my bike (a Trek 5200) in May of '01, and my Ultegra levers are
definitely noisy on rough roads, but I'm not sure if the problem is the same
as you've described.

I saw this advertisement on Ebay for a device called "RattleNoMo" that is
supposed to fix noisy Ultegra shifters:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36140&item=7140573360&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

or, http://tinyurl.com/4snyj

But, this product specifically states that "RattleNoMo pads will not fix a
rattling hood cap on the front of the shifter assembly."

This seems to imply that there may be more than one source for the noise.
Is this so? If so, how does one tell the difference?

Finally, do you have any experience with the "RattleNoMo" product?

TIA,

GG

I'm not positive, but it looks like the guy has come up with a way to keep
the smaller (shift-to-smaller-cog or chainring) part of the lever from
rattling against the larger part. That's a significant source of noise for
many, but is unrelated to the loose cap issue found on the older versions of
Ultegra levers. It's easy to tell if his fix will work for you- if the
rattling stops when you hold the levers together, it might take care of it.
But if the rattling remains, then you need to look elsewhere for the cause,
possibly the loose-cap issue I showed.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"GaryG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike,
>
> I saw a link to your excellent article (
> http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/noisystilevers.htm ) in another post.
>
> I purchased my bike (a Trek 5200) in May of '01, and my Ultegra levers are
> definitely noisy on rough roads, but I'm not sure if the problem is the
> same
> as you've described.
>
> I saw this advertisement on Ebay for a device called "RattleNoMo" that is
> supposed to fix noisy Ultegra shifters:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36140&item=7140573360&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
> or, http://tinyurl.com/4snyj
>
> But, this product specifically states that "RattleNoMo pads will not fix a
> rattling hood cap on the front of the shifter assembly."
>
> This seems to imply that there may be more than one source for the noise.
> Is this so? If so, how does one tell the difference?
>
> Finally, do you have any experience with the "RattleNoMo" product?
>
> TIA,
>
> GG

> I'm not positive, but it looks like the guy has come up with a way to keep
> the smaller (shift-to-smaller-cog or chainring) part of the lever from
> rattling against the larger part. That's a significant source of noise for
> many, but is unrelated to the loose cap issue found on the older versions

of
> Ultegra levers. It's easy to tell if his fix will work for you- if the
> rattling stops when you hold the levers together, it might take care of

it.
> But if the rattling remains, then you need to look elsewhere for the

cause,
> possibly the loose-cap issue I showed.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Thanks, Mike. I'll take a look at the cables and then the levers to see if
those could be the source of the noise. If not, then it may be the loose
caps.

GG