Paging Taniwha

64Paramount

Jul 25, 2009
Tani, did you have any ill affects from the earthquake? Sounds like it shook the area around Christ Church pretty bad....

64Paramount said:
Tani, did you have any ill affects from the earthquake? Sounds like it shook the area around Christ Church pretty bad....
Cheers, I'm fine thanks, up here in Auckland we didn't feel a thing. But my parents live just outside Christchurch and they surely did. Pretty dramatic stuff. They were extremely lucky and got out of it lightly with just broken crockery and some bottles, but
other houses around them didn't fare so well, with several being condemned.
The sheer amount of damage buildings and infrastructure is staggering, just damn lucky the quake happened in the early hours and no one about, if it had been a weekday, the casualty count would be very different.
Here's a good read on the science with some interesting photos as well-
Tectonics of the M7 earthquake near Christchurch, New Zealand | Highly Allochthonous

taniwha said:
Cheers, I'm fine thanks, up here in Auckland we didn't feel a thing. But my parents live just outside Christchurch and they surely did. Pretty dramatic stuff. They were extremely lucky and got out of it lightly with just broken crockery and some bottles, but
other houses around them didn't fare so well, with several being condemned.
The sheer amount of damage buildings and infrastructure is staggering, just damn lucky the quake happened in the early hours and no one about, if it had been a weekday, the casualty count would be very different.
Here's a good read on the science with some interesting photos as well-
Tectonics of the M7 earthquake near Christchurch, New Zealand | Highly Allochthonous

It's good to hear your family got through without injury!

I bet it gave them a fright...that's a pretty major shake.