Paging TiMan

specialized31

Aug 3, 2006
By reading some of your posts you really seem to be a big fan of L4 block training which I've never done. I am however getting ready to go on a 4 day vacation and I'm wanting to make good use of the time that I do have during that week and the 4 days of recovery that I'll have while on vacation. So I was planning to do a 3 day block of L4 concluding the day before we actually leave....good idea?

specialized31 said:
By reading some of your posts you really seem to be a big fan of L4 block training which I've never done. I am however getting ready to go on a 4 day vacation and I'm wanting to make good use of the time that I do have during that week and the 4 days of recovery that I'll have while on vacation. So I was planning to do a 3 day block of L4 concluding the day before we actually leave....good idea?
keep in mind the stress of traveling- walking through terminals, inadequite nutrients from subpar nutrition, altered sleep patterns ect. ..................

specialized31 said:

Hi

Bad idea if you are going to pass by loads of people in close quarters like flying, coach trip or trains, crowded indoor public places and open doors without rubber gloves on because three days of hard training will drop your immune system and then breathing the same air in close proximity to a load of people some of whom will have some sort of virus. Which is why I never train hard or long the day before or after or the same day as travelling.

Linus

specialized31 said:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/search.php?searchid=581078
Hi spesh31,
the above link has various threads linked to L4 block work with many inputs from TiMan. Should keep you going till TiMan comes onto the forum.

Try this ....if you are not a "beginner" to cycling. If you are then cut everything below by 30% at least.

Day 1. 3 X 20 at 95% FTP

....this is not easy. Drink a sports drink...don't stand up at all during the efforts. Try not to take "little breaks" by unloading the legs for a minute or two either....your breaks come after each intervals and that is in the form of easy pedaling for 5-10 minutes. Listen to good music if you are doing any of this on a trainer. I like trace for threshold work. http://www.di.fm/
Be aware that all fluid trainers, except the KK, get easier to pedal as time passes. The Fluid 2 gets harder! So that needs to be factored into your efforts and that is difficult.

Day 2. 4 X 15 at 95% FTP
Day 3. 4 X 10 at 95% FTP
Day 4....Tempo at 85% FTP for 45 minutes non stop and throw in 45 of mid to high L2 for 45 minutes.

If you do not train by power then train the above by perceived effort and heart rate. 95% FTP is a little less than what you think you could hold for an hour in an ALL OUT non stop effort. Heart rate is will drift up to about 90% of your estimated max. Heart rate will be suppressed, and especially initially, on days 2,3 and 4 due to fatigue, and especially on day 3 and 4, so don't try to push it up to day one levels..yet keep the perceived effort the same.
Best to do all the L4 on a hill that takes 20 minutes to climb if you don't use a power meter...that way you can tell if you are keeping pace from day to day by noting landmarks and time on the way up.....and your speed.

Better eat well during these 4 days...lots of carbs. Eat right after each ride and then a little every couple hours for 4 -6 hours.

That should get you into a nice mild "over reaching" state...then off to vacation.
First day of vacation try to find an exercise bike and do 30 minutes at L1..no pressure.

Better get good sleep during the vacation time...and don't party too much.

Hope you don't pick up a "bug" on a flight..breathing in recycled air. As someone mentioned that is a concern.

:)

Yes, I do train with power. All 3 of those sessions are ones that I impliment on a regular basis just not consecutively. I'm just trying to make the most effective use of the time that I have that week. I really enjoy your posts and have picked some things up. Interesting point brought up about lowering my immune system and flying...will have to keep that in mind. I'll use that block next week and see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

TiMan said:
Try this ....if you are not a "beginner" to cycling. If you are then cut everything below by 30% at least.

Day 1. 3 X 20 at 95% FTP

....this is not easy. Drink a sports drink...don't stand up at all during the efforts. Try not to take "little breaks" by unloading the legs for a minute or two either....your breaks come after each intervals and that is in the form of easy pedaling for 5-10 minutes. Listen to good music if you are doing any of this on a trainer. I like trace for threshold work. http://www.di.fm/
Be aware that all fluid trainers, except the KK, get easier to pedal as time passes. The Fluid 2 gets harder! So that needs to be factored into your efforts and that is difficult.

Day 2. 4 X 15 at 95% FTP
Day 3. 4 X 10 at 95% FTP
Day 4....Tempo at 85% FTP for 45 minutes non stop and throw in 45 of mid to high L2 for 45 minutes.

If you do not train by power then train the above by perceived effort and heart rate. 95% FTP is a little less than what you think you could hold for an hour in an ALL OUT non stop effort. Heart rate is will drift up to about 90% of your estimated max. Heart rate will be suppressed, and especially initially, on days 2,3 and 4 due to fatigue, and especially on day 3 and 4, so don't try to push it up to day one levels..yet keep the perceived effort the same.
Best to do all the L4 on a hill that takes 20 minutes to climb if you don't use a power meter...that way you can tell if you are keeping pace from day to day by noting landmarks and time on the way up.....and your speed.

Better eat well during these 4 days...lots of carbs. Eat right after each ride and then a little every couple hours for 4 -6 hours.

That should get you into a nice mild "over reaching" state...then off to vacation.
First day of vacation try to find an exercise bike and do 30 minutes at L1..no pressure.

Better get good sleep during the vacation time...and don't party too much.

Hope you don't pick up a "bug" on a flight..breathing in recycled air. As someone mentioned that is a concern.

:)
Well I just finished up the block that you suggested. I actually did 4x15's instead of 10's today to push myself. 3.5 hours at or above threshold since Wed racking up 510 TSS points in the process. I was certainly fatigued today but my 4 intervals were indenitcal and actually averaged 4 watts above my estimated FTP so perhaps it is rising since this was done at end of a 3 day block with lots of fatigue in the legs. I guess we'll find out next week. Thanks for your suggestions.

specialized31 said:
Well I just finished up the block that you suggested. I actually did 4x15's instead of 10's today to push myself. 3.5 hours at or above threshold since Wed racking up 510 TSS points in the process. I was certainly fatigued today but my 4 intervals were indenitcal and actually averaged 4 watts above my estimated FTP so perhaps it is rising since this was done at end of a 3 day block with lots of fatigue in the legs. I guess we'll find out next week. Thanks for your suggestions.
Thanks TiMan. I did my first 3x20 session since recovering from the 3 day block and all 3 intervals were PB's. The last 20 minute interval was 12 watts higher than anything I've put out before. I'm a believer. I do however have a heavy race schedule coming up for the next couple of months with a couple of A races included. Given my results I'm tempted to try and squeeze another one of these into a 2 week window between races but I'm a bit hesitant. Or would I be better off waiting a couple of months when I have a 3 week break?

I am glad that this thread started up. Two weeks ago I was getting board with my FTP/SST sessions. So I searched and found this old block training thread:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?referrerid=96530&t=274092

I was ambitious and tried a 4/3 work/rest ratio.

I started with VO2, formally as I would finish up some FTP intervals with 3-5 minutes in VO2.

I started conservatively at 4x5. Should have done 6x5 as I did the 4X5 the on day two at a higher AP and lower PE. Day three improved again so I added a 3 min interval. Day 4 was out side and on hills and both
day 3 and 4 netted me a top ten in the 5 min going back a year.

Not bad for the first forma VO2 traing of the season.

Best yet after the 3 day rest I put down a 312 Watt hour, bettering my from 2/5/2007 of 304 Watts. I'll take that.

Day two was today and was hoping for 2x25 but only did 15 on the second interval. I orignally planned 2x20s but tried this any way. Reducing time in level to keep intensity up.

Timan with his 60, 3x20, 4x15 he's the man.

specialized31 said:

jetnjeff said:
I am glad that this thread started up. Two weeks ago I was getting board with my FTP/SST sessions. So I searched and found this old block training thread:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?referrerid=96530&t=274092

I was ambitious and tried a 4/3 work/rest ratio.

I started with VO2, formally as I would finish up some FTP intervals with 3-5 minutes in VO2.

I started conservatively at 4x5. Should have done 6x5 as I did the 4X5 the on day two at a higher AP and lower PE. Day three improved again so I added a 3 min interval. Day 4 was out side and on hills and both
day 3 and 4 netted me a top ten in the 5 min going back a year.

Not bad for the first forma VO2 traing of the season.

Best yet after the 3 day rest I put down a 312 Watt hour, bettering my from 2/5/2007 of 304 Watts. I'll take that.

Day two was today and was hoping for 2x25 but only did 15 on the second interval. I orignally planned 2x20s but tried this any way. Reducing time in level to keep intensity up.

Timan with his 60, 3x20, 4x15 he's the man.
whew that's a heavy thread before the time I checked in here often. I have it bookmarked now :)

Did I mention that it was 10 pages long? :D

rmur17 said:
whew that's a heavy thread before the time I checked in here often. I have it bookmarked now :)