Pain and chaffing after 30 mins on rollers

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by neilkod, Jan 4, 2007.

1. neilkod

neilkod New Member

Ok, this may be graphic folks. You have been warned.

Winter has finally caught up with us in Utah. I've been back on the rollers for about a week now(I've actually gotten quite a bit of riding in late Dec). I've been trying to use the rollers for 40-minute sessions, 75% MHR, 18-19 mph. For what its worth, these are the elite parabolic rollers.

After about 30 minutes I start getting really sore 'down there'. Its not saddle sore, but the other kind of sore. We're talking chafing and what looks like a rash. It is far from pleasant. The last 10 or so minutes are pretty rough in that regard.

When I get off the rollers, I notice that my shorts are a lot sweatier than when I ride outdoors. I'd imagine that this is because of the lack of wind.

I do try and move around in the saddle. I also make sure there is a fan pointing straight at me.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what have you done about it? I dont think this is a job for chamois cream but I can give it a shot.

Additionally, my hands seem to hurt whenever I use rollers, but never when I ride outdoors. I'm using gloves, and Specialized bar phat grip tape with the gel inserts. I'm wondering if my hands are missing the vibration of the road.

Otherwise, I love the workout that the rollers give me, my spin and control has improved quite a bit.

Tags:

2. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve New Member

You mentioned more sweating, which as you say is due to lack of wind to dry you...this extra moisture may be causing the chafing.
    My jersey or T-Shirt gets 3 times wetter compared to being on the road but my knicks don't seem to get more damp.
    One thing I hate is the numbness in the Joy Department. The old fella goes numb after the first 10 minutes.
    Have tried different front wheel heights, e.g. phone books, wooden blocks, etc, but no luck.

3. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Defintely get a big fan, I train in front of an open window (outdoor temps hovering near +5 F today) and still use a fan that's over 16" in diameter on full power. Yesterday the fan was blowing snow on me during a storm but I was totally comfortable and even sweating a bit after about five minutes into my first L4 interval.

But it also sounds like you might have a bike fit issue. There's nothing like riding rollers to point out little issues with seat angle and height or bar height. When I pulled out my rollers this fall after a summer of road riding I was surprised to find my saddle was just slightly tipped up and I was getting real numb down there. A bubble level confirmed it and a tiny angle adjustment took care of the problem. A slightly high seat could also lead to rocking your hips and a bit of chafing. On the road it's easy to move about in the saddle, stand up and basically make tiny adjustments all the time that can cover up small fit problems. Even a fixed trainer isn't too bad, but unless you've ridden rollers for a while you probably don't move at all and rarely stand up which really brings fit problems to your attention.

Assuming the floor beneath your rollers is level and your rollers themselves are level you shouldn't feel excessive pressure on your hands or feel numb or chafed where it counts. Check with a carpenters level agains the top tube (unless you ride a compact frame then you'll have to wing it) to make sure the bike is level when placed on the rollers. If it is you should consider small changes to seat angle, seat height or bar height to deal with the chafing and hand pressure. You might not notice it on the road, but it's probably affecting you there as well.

Good luck,
    Dave